Marshall Amps

Attachments

• 20240209_105111.jpg
    20240209_105111.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 28
Mine is a 1979 JMP with a higher plate voltage which is what makes them sound better per Dave Friedman. He said some 2204's can be squishy due to a lower plat voltage
They must have made a ton of them in 79 haha

I have one and it is a fantastic amp. Mine has the blue board and EL34s.

I've been a little annoyed at some of the excessive noise I've been hearing from my JVM410H. After watching a YouTube video focused on repair of said Marshall model, I realized the importance of the rear metal mesh panel as an EFI shield. :facepalm

Panel reinstalled = noise gone.

Lovin' my Marshall once again.

I owned valvstes, jtm45 and jubilees (both 100 & 20W), played extensively jcm900s, 4100 and various dsls in rehearsal rooms, I played with a band mate for many years who had a Jvm satriani (awesome amp that one) and I've recorded lots of other marshalls at work.

I love them all honestly but for me as a player nothing beats the jubilee.

Based on my memory (don't have the 100W anymore) I might also prefer the 20W head to the 100W. It has less balls but a bouncier feel.

Is an amp that puts a smile on my face every time I play with my band.

Paired with a multifx in 4cm I can have a lot of sounds at my feet.

I use both channels and for some songs I get a different kind of clean attenuating the input for the lead channel, but can be easily used as a single channel amp in both the clean and lead channel with or without the rhythm option.

Last edited:

real ones know this amp is superior (or recorded on more influential music) to Jubilee’s, 4100’s, TSL’s. Solid State facts.

That was an awesome video.
Nice riffs dude!
I can tell he’s a drummer👍

I rocked the 8100 through the golden years,
-until the knobs fall off, insets cave into the chassis, etc

Silver Jubilee 2555x 👀
One great thing that can be an issue also is how easily accessible the bias adjustments are.

When I set it up yesterday it wasn't sounding great so I checked the bias. The amp says you can bias 60-80 mA per set with 70 recommended. Upon measuring it was at 62, I raised it to 72 and it was ready to rock.

The 2205/2210 had a pretty major circuit change around 1987 I think, don't recall exactly, but the later ones sounds a whole lot better than the early version.

Damn, I just found a local classified ad offering a JVM410H and a 1960BV cabinet in supposedly good condition together for 800 euros (= $860). That sounds almost too good to be true. I don‘t need the cab, but I could sell it for around 350-400 euros, leaving only 400-450 euros for the JVM, which is ridiculous. Should I go for it?

Last edited:

Ola makes everything sound good. His video sounded the best IMO.

I’ve crossed paths with the 2205 and 2210 a couple times in the wild and it’s the amp I want to like but can’t make work. They have less of the Marshall kerrang and lots more compression when compared to the 2204/2203.

These models got SO CHEAP for a while.

Solid state represent :annoying

Kind of like the 8200 here, character suits this song a bit better. 8100 (or 8080) is for sure the more aggressive circuit. They absolutely belong in the discussion of highest gain Marshall amps, they were good enough for the likes of Meshuggah/In Flames/Prong/Death/Fear Factory/Static X/Rob Zombie

Had and played an 8080 for several years back then. I used it with an art multi FX in the loop and sometimes a pedal in front.

In the early 00s I used it a lot as stage monitor for my pod 2.0 for few years.

I still have it and still works or at least worked when I turned it on last time several years ago.

Below: at home used as practice amp. The picture is from around 2013/14 just before I stopped using it.

Attachments

• IMG_6489.jpg
    IMG_6489.jpg
    980.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back