NAD+NCD: Silver Jubilee 2555X + 1960AX

James Freeman

Rock Star
20240220_114117.jpg

JCM800 2203x

Silver Jubilee 2555x

2555x Clean + Rhythm Clip

Settings in the image below.

Yes, you CAN make a Jubilee sounds like a 2203 and a whole lot more.
It does Thrash, easy.
SD-1 works perfectly with the Jubilee.
Clean sounds great.
Rhythm Clip crunch is usable but less natural than pure tube crunch.
It's not a multi channel amp in my experience, hard to balance volume between 'modes'.
Two Master volumes is very bedroom friendly unlike the 1987 and 2203 that are jet engine loud at 0.01 on the master.

Cab sounds smooth and crunchy, the Sm57 doesn't do it justice imo, I will try to record it later.

20240220_121252.jpg

Which rips the most face? :unsure::satan

None of the above without some effort, especially if you are used to 5150/EVH sound.

1987 is unusable with a real cab unless modded with a post phase inverter master, excruciatingly loud at 1, mostly a studio amp that requires a reactive load box, no modern metal sounds (tonestack does almost nothing), 70s crunch to high-ish gain, BUT damn fun to play, think VH1, Thin Lizzy, UFO, this is a high effort 'manual' amp, no plug and play.

2203 has usable master volume even at bedroom volume, good FX loop, thick and juicy crunch but requires a boost to deliver the brutalz, nice clean on the low input, requires some effort to get the most of it.

2555 has very usable control over volumes anything from whisper bedroom to stage volume, more gain than the 2203 but not by much, slightly tighter, good clean, okay crunch, good overdrive, NOT a good multi-channel switcher but a very good 3 separate modes amp, basically a slightly more versatile and gained up 2203 without the need to physically unplug the input jack for cleans.

All the Marshalls above require effort and external gear to get the most out of them, they are dinosaurs from the past, no instant gratification at all.

You've seen my 3 pedal board, I get everything I need from a SD-1 and GE-7 (and a TU-3), but the Mosky Silver Horse is also useful for even higher headroom clean boost, the Silver Horse needs to be last in chain because any 9v pedals after it will limit its volume.
In my opinion the GE-7 is the most versatile, it can do treble/mid boost, be int he loop, etc.

Back