NAD+NCD: Silver Jubilee 2555X + 1960AX

Not a fan of all the molex & spade connections.
You'd be better off replacing the jj tubes with something more stable.

NOT a good multi-channel switcher but a very good 3 separate modes amp

100% this.

I used the 100W with an analog board with a programmable looper and had to compensate for volume differences between the two channels using an eq pedal given my gain settings and pickups.

Now I use the mini Jubilee in 4cm with the helix and is much more easy (and fun) to get the most out of it.

My current favorite way to use the amp is as a single channel amp using lead channel set for my main crunch sound.

Then I attenuate the signal at the input at two different levels to get a cleanish and a pushed clean sound and use a boost for leads and heavier stuff.

Current digital multi fx with all the flexibility and programmability the offer are the perfect tools for this old style amps imho.

View attachment 18881

JCM800 2203x

Silver Jubilee 2555x

2555x Clean + Rhythm Clip

Settings in the image below.

Yes, you CAN make a Jubilee sounds like a 2203 and a whole lot more.
It does Thrash, easy.
SD-1 works perfectly with the Jubilee.
Clean sounds great.
Rhythm Clip crunch is usable but less natural than pure tube crunch.
It's not a multi channel amp in my experience, hard to balance volume between 'modes'.
Two Master volumes is very bedroom friendly unlike the 1987 and 2203 that are jet engine loud at 0.01 on the master.

Cab sounds smooth and crunchy, the Sm57 doesn't do it justice imo, I will try to record it later.

View attachment 18882

Looks like you are all set now. Love it!

Yeeeah man!

I suggest you to try to use the masters the other way around unless you need to channel switch the amp.

I my experience output master between 6 and 7 is the sweet spot.
Lead master as needed.
Will try.
Havn't strayed much beyond jcm800 like tone yet but I will experiment more at the weekend.

Output Master at 6-7 is where the power amp starts to distort but the Lead Master also has to be above 5. On a JCM800 2203 this is around 2, the Jubilee has more low volume range and I think it was by design.

I'm still not sure how much darker/brighter it is compared to the 2203 at different tonestack settings, I will do more comprehensive comparisons at the weekend.
I also have not yet compared it to the Fractal model which only has the overdrive channel.

James has the dream line up Axe Fx III, 1987x, JCM800, and Silver Jube :chef

Happy The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air GIF

Have the Jubilee setup and experimenting.

Found something interesting, set to clean and Rhythm clip pulled I turned the presence almost all the way down and adjusted the other settings from there. Even boosted with a SD1.

Have the Jubilee setup and experimenting.

Found something interesting, set to clean and Rhythm clip pulled I turned the presence almost all the way down and adjusted the other settings from there. Even boosted with a SD1.
Presence 0, Treble 10, Middle 7, Bass 8, as in the second image in the first post, that's my starting point, basically sounds like a JCM800 with all knobs on 5.
I think Fractals model is a little fizzier that than the real amp and needs more tuning.

There is an overlap but for me the 2203x takes the lead by a large margin.
On the 2555x I can hear the buzzy diodes and their not so natural decay.
People crank the Jubilee to smooth out the buzzy diode preamp but I like when the preamp sounds good at bedroom levels, hence I prefer a boosted JCM800 by far.

Edit:
I'm also liking the Greenbacks very much after a few weeks of use.
I might be a greenback guy after all.

Back