Jake E Lee Mini (New?)

I hope this sounds better than the JJ Jr. that one’s not much better than a DSL20HR, if at all, IMO. I liked the single channel ones better (PT, DSM).

I hope this sounds better than the JJ Jr. that one’s not much better than a DSL20HR, if at all, IMO. I liked the single channel ones better (PT, DSM).
You can always have Dave build you one exactly how you want it.
That’s the only way to roll with Friedman’s.

Sounds awesome in Petes video.

Yeah sounds really good.

But it is a pricy amp, 1999 € at Thomann, including 24% Finnish VAT.

In the same price range or less, over here that money would buy you:
  • Two Marshall Studio SV/SC/JTM heads.
  • Various Marshall 50-100W heads.
  • Diezel VH2, Paul or D-Moll
  • Various ENGL heads
  • Various Victory heads
  • H&K Grandmeister Deluxe 40
  • Synergy Syn-30 + module
  • EVH 5150 III, 50 or 100W
  • Orange OR 30. Which is weirdly expensive when the OR 15 is almost 1/3 of its cost.
  • Both BluGuitar Amp 1 models.
It's probably more favorably priced in the US, especially with Marshall being super expensive there.

It sounds cool, but I think I still prefer the PTv2.

Here in Canada the Friedman head was like $50-100 cheaper most places than the Marshall (SC20) head, and has more options anyway. It was kind of a no-brainer.

Perhaps that gentleman is in the UK/EU? :idk

The world doesn't revolve around the USA..... or does it?
Maybe you’re right but it’s fairly obvious that most of us here are from the States so I’d think he’d understand we can’t get Marshall’s at the same price he can.

Pete Thorn playing Ty Tabor’s tone on their song Train in his video made me put one into the Sweetwater cart. I keep refreshing it hoping it’ll tell me no longer in stock before I hit the buy button. :whistle

$850 new? The only ones I would consider from Marshall to be what I would even consider to compare to that amp sound quality wise are these and they are right in there with the JEL.

Unfortunately in the US a JCM 800 is about $3000 plus

About $4000 after taxes

I'm in Europe.

Yeah sounds really good.

But it is a pricy amp, 1999 € at Thomann, including 24% Finnish VAT.

In the same price range or less, over here that money would buy you:
  • Two Marshall Studio SV/SC/JTM heads.
  • Various Marshall 50-100W heads.
  • Diezel VH2, Paul or D-Moll
  • Various ENGL heads
  • Various Victory heads
  • H&K Grandmeister Deluxe 40
  • Synergy Syn-30 + module
  • EVH 5150 III, 50 or 100W
  • Orange OR 30. Which is weirdly expensive when the OR 15 is almost 1/3 of its cost.
  • Both BluGuitar Amp 1 models.
It's probably more favorably priced in the US, especially with Marshall being super expensive there.

Exactly. I don't see this amp fairing too well to be honest. Friedman is really pricing themselves out of the market. Well, in Europe anyway. Time will tell I guess.

They are of course very good quality and doesn't sound terrible either, although I prefer Marshall sound, but when you compare 2k for a 20W head vs the competition in Europe, it's just blatantly in a whole other price league.

Maybe you’re right but it’s fairly obvious that most of us here are from the States so I’d think he’d understand we can’t get Marshall’s at the same price he can.

Would it not be equally obvious that my prices were based on European prices, if you know that they are cheaper here?
Then maybe you probably also understand that most of us from Europe can't get the same prices as you in the states on:

- Friedman
- Mesa
- Soldano
- Matchless
- Ceriatone
- Revv
- etc?

That's why we think those brands are overpriced and too expensive compared to the competition here in Europe.

Europe can't get the same prices as you in the states on:

- Friedman
- Mesa
- Soldano
- Matchless
- Ceriatone
- Revv
- etc?

Thing is, most of those are really expensive in the states too.

Marshall is unique (for us) because it’s cheap everywhere else except here, while other British/European amp makers have managed to sanely price their amps here. (ENGL, Victory, Vox, Orange etc)

I sent my broken Pink Taco off to be
fixed and the tech is asking me if I'd sell it. I may just say yes if the price is right. No more use for any EL84 low wattage amps TBH

EL84’s (ahem).

It’s a rad circuit and I think Friedman actually does EL84 amps well, they’re biased and designed to work in a comfortable range.

Not sure what the price works out to in £, but I’m guessing for that kind of scratch there’s probably better ways to get modded 800 tones. Good way to get a modded 800 (as opposed to modded plexi) in a small format with the Friedman badge on it though.

If you want a JEL amp, and you’re not fussed about it having a Friedman badge, it’s easy to mod most single channel Marshalls (2203/2204/1959/1987x etc) and it should come out a good bit cheaper.

Yeah, and the thing about Soldano is that they're crazy expensive everywhere. :rofl

I just looked it up, $4k i pretty crazy. In Europe they are 5k€ for the 100W. No way Jose I'm paying that for an amp XD I wouldn't pay $4k either though so we're pretty even there!

EL84’s (ahem).

It’s a rad circuit and I think Friedman actually does EL84 amps well, they’re biased and designed to work in a comfortable range.

Not sure what the price works out to in £, but I’m guessing for that kind of scratch there’s probably better ways to get modded 800 tones. Good way to get a modded 800 (as opposed to modded plexi) in a small format with the Friedman badge on it though.

If you want a JEL amp, and you’re not fussed about it having a Friedman badge, it’s easy to mod most single channel Marshalls (2203/2204/1959/1987x etc) and it should come out a good bit cheaper.

Total agreement. When I am pushing $2k either in the US or EU then I am going to be looking at a used
Marshall and an attenuator.

EL84s in the power section are cool, to a point. You just are not going to be able to get that thump and
percussiveness of a Marshall at any reasonable volume without them EL84s farting out.

If all someone is doing is direct recording, or playing in low to moderate volume scenarios then they may
not reveal their limits. Get with a slamming drummer on an acoustic kit and bye bye goes your tone.

Total agreement. When I am pushing $2k either in the US or EU then I am going to be looking at a used
Marshall and an attenuator.

EL84s in the power section are cool, to a point. You just are not going to be able to get that thump and
percussiveness of a Marshall at any reasonable volume without them EL84s farting out.

If all someone is doing is direct recording, or playing in low to moderate volume scenarios then they may
not reveal their limits. Get with a slamming drummer on an acoustic kit and bye bye goes your tone.
I had the mini Jubilee for a few days. Just when it started to deliver the goods it was all out of headroom in the power section and thus rendering the effects loop useless. The PRS MT15 I had held up much better, but I didn't dig the dirt channel.

Tired Pbs Nature GIF by Nature on PBS

Marshall is unique (for us) because it’s cheap everywhere else except here, while other British/European amp makers have managed to sanely price their amps here. (ENGL, Victory, Vox, Orange etc)
Maybe it's a similar situation to the old Mesa distributor in Europe. Mesas used to be so expensive over here, that I once calculated I could fly from Finland to New York, buy a JP2C, fly back, buy a step down transformer and still pay less than what a JP2C cost over here.

When Mesa finally changed distributors, the prices got a lot more sane in Europe.

The easy solution is to just not buy Marshall in the US. Don't see a whole lot of reason to do so either when you have so many great domestic amp makers.

Back