Is there anything inside the Quad Cortex that they didn't steal from someone else?

Steve Starluci(SP?) posted his “Is ToneX a QC Killer” vid in a QC user group on FB and had the majority of users tearing him apart, for the obvious reasons (it IS clickbaity), but a moderator came along and AGREED with Steve then commented further “Most of you guys are adding a MIDI pedal and other effects units anyway, I‘m not seeing much of a difference here?”

It was like the memberberries episode of South Park, but “touchscreen” instead of “member?”

Even though they’re using the touch screen to program the other units to work with the QC.

Steve Starluci(SP?) posted his “Is ToneX a QC Killer” vid in a QC user group on FB and had the majority of users tearing him apart, for the obvious reasons (it IS clickbaity), but a moderator came along and AGREED with Steve then commented further “Most of you guys are adding a MIDI pedal and other effects units anyway, I‘m not seeing much of a difference here?”

Well, I gotta agree with those saying it's in no way a QC killer, not even close to it.
Sure, it is, but only in a very small area, namely when you need singular captured models. And that was it already.
The fact that many people may add some other stuff to their setups doesn't change much with it. For starters, you could still not run multiple captures and patch organisation within a setup using multiple programmable devices switched via MIDI can quite easily become a *huge* pile of homework you need to do whereas it's almost a piece of cake on any actual modeler.

I mean, the combination of an HX Stomp and a Tonex has already been mentioned. So, how are you switching the Tonex? Enter Command Center and send out PrgCh. or CCs to switch the Tonex when switching snapshots (of which there are only 3)? Yeah, that's a whole lot of fun. Or switch patches on the Stomp and experience a gap?
(And fwiw, we haven't even talked latency, yet...)
Seriously, especially once it comes to slap together a setup working flawlessly in a number of live playing situations, this isn't just a piece of cake. Usually requires quite some tinkering and/or larger setups involving further "helper tools" such as loop switchers, MIDI mappers and what not.
Given what pretty much any of the actual modelers are able to do (the QC included), "killing" them just because there's now another player in the capturing business isn't going to happen any day soon.
Oh, all strictly IMVHO of course.

Well, I gotta agree with those saying it's in no way a QC killer, not even close to it.
Sure, it is, but only in a very small area, namely when you need singular captured models. And that was it already.
The fact that many people may add some other stuff to their setups doesn't change much with it. For starters, you could still not run multiple captures and patch organisation within a setup using multiple programmable devices switched via MIDI can quite easily become a *huge* pile of homework you need to do whereas it's almost a piece of cake on any actual modeler.

I mean, the combination of an HX Stomp and a Tonex has already been mentioned. So, how are you switching the Tonex? Enter Command Center and send out PrgCh. or CCs to switch the Tonex when switching snapshots (of which there are only 3)? Yeah, that's a whole lot of fun. Or switch patches on the Stomp and experience a gap?
(And fwiw, we haven't even talked latency, yet...)
Seriously, especially once it comes to slap together a setup working flawlessly in a number of live playing situations, this isn't just a piece of cake. Usually requires quite some tinkering and/or larger setups involving further "helper tools" such as loop switchers, MIDI mappers and what not.
Given what pretty much any of the actual modelers are able to do (the QC included), "killing" them just because there's now another player in the capturing business isn't going to happen any day soon.
Oh, all strictly IMVHO of course.

I highlighted the important part (and note, I did say the video’s title was clickbaity).

If you look at a large amount of QC boards, they’re already requiring ”helper tools”. The QC can’t send PC’s on Scenes, only Preset changes. So anyone using a multi-effects unit with their QC has to buy an additional MIDI controller because the QC doesn’t do it.

That’s the point that the mod (A QC user/owner) and Steve were getting at; people are already supplementing the QC with additional effects/switching units, for various reasons. So if you’re already one of those people or you’re going to BE one of those people after getting the QC, where you’re going to end up buying a MIDI controller and additional effects units, there’s a cheaper option for something that runs captures.

The title is very clickbaity, but i have to agree with his thesis: the main appeal of the QC was the ability to run profiles in a small box... and ToneX now does that well enough for 1/4 of the price.

What's notable is how a good number of people also reports ToneX sounds better than both QC and Kemper.

The QC can’t send PC’s on Scenes, only Preset changes. So anyone using a multi-effects unit with their QC has to buy an additional MIDI controller because the QC doesn’t do it.

Ok, didn't know that - pretty lame.
Anyhow, I was just thinking along the lines of "singular all-in-one modeler vs. TONEX + whatever" anyway - and regarding that, all-in-one modelers win hands down every time.
Sure, as soon as you're running multiple devices, things start to look entirely different. And obviously even more so in case all you're lusting for as an addon is single amp captures.

The title is very clickbaity, but i have to agree with his thesis: the main appeal of the QC was the ability to run profiles in a small box... and ToneX now does that well enough for 1/4 of the price.

What's notable is how a good number of people also reports ToneX sounds better than both QC and Kemper.

He does say that for live use, he’d still go with the QC, preferring an all-in-one with less cables, etc.

Looks like it yes. There was no "your ban will expire" message.

james-hong.gif

He does say that for live use, he’d still go with the QC, preferring an all-in-one with less cables, etc.

Yeah, but he also notes that Neural needs to wake the eff up and bring the device up to what it was promised, because, "an 1850 dollar device should not compete with a 399 dollar device" (dixit). He's right too.

Last edited:
Surely not *permanently* ?!?!?!?!?!

Even by TGP standards that would be astonishing !

Ben
The permanent ban is likely due to accumulating too many infraction points. This post was likely the one that put him over the edge; doubtful it carried enough points on its own to result in perma ban.

The "provocative post" rule does seem like one that is generic and subjective enough to simply be a catch all rule they can use to delete threads with.

How many people would have bought a QC if it didn’t have Captures?

When it came out, for me the general form factor appeared to be quite nice, I also always thought that with it's touchscreen and lots of encoders it'd make up for a great editor/mouse-less editing experience (even if it's sort of absurd placing a floor pedal on your desktop). But once I fooled around with a unit at a friend's place, I instantly knew it wasn't for me (footswitches *way* too close to each other, encoders strangly distracted from screen elements), so all that was left have been the captures. Not worth dealing with that company.

This seems to be how someone is handling this in QC-land-

View attachment 4461

Poor fellow, my sympathies.

I can only say how it is done on the Helix;
You have 6 "Instant" MIDI commands that automatically triggered on Preset change, you daisy chain the pedals with MIDI In->Out/Through on each with a unique MIDI Channel, and you still have freely assignable MIDI commands per footswitch in the same Preset.

On this topic ^^^: I recently discovered the midi block on my FM9 and using it + a Suhr Micro midi to change channels on my Mesa via scenes is :chef

MIDI Block, sounds useful.
Does it send the programmed MIDI commands when the block is enabled (un-bypassed) by the Scene or how?

MIDI Block, sounds useful.
Does it send the programmed MIDI commands when the block is enabled (un-bypassed) by the Scene or how?

(y) I love it, so far.

From the wiki:

Scene MIDI Block

The block lets you send up to 8 CC or PC MIDI messages through the MIDI OUT port upon scene changes, through different MIDI channels if needed. The MIDI messages can vary per scene.

The block must be added to the grid to use, but does not have to be connected to the signal chain. it can't be bypassed, but a scene can be configured to send no MIDI messages.

Back