Impulse Responses

Bono fans won't appreciate...
0bd3b5f455e61acbcd461d8a12776d0a.gif

Stupid little video demonstrating how easy it is to scroll through incredibly large amounts of IRs (here: RedWirez Big Pack) using Logic's Space Designer once the IRs are converted to SD presets using Space Designer Manager (which takes like 5 seconds for the entire 20k+ Big Pack).
Finding out about this method turned SD from one of the lousiest IR browsing tools to the best there is (only downside: to mix IRs, you'll have to create groups or summing track stacks in Logic).
First I'm using the arrow keys on my keyboard only, then there's some mousing to achieve quicker folder jumps.

That's cool. So basically exactly how the IR auditioning works on the Headrush platform of multi effects ;)

Yeah yeah, I know :rolleyes: HR doesn't get any love around here - but I love using mine.

That's cool. So basically exactly how the IR auditioning works on the Headrush platform of multi effects ;)

Yeah yeah, I know :rolleyes: HR doesn't get any love around here - but I love using mine.

I always thought the HR was best in terms of IR management (at least given the few things I know about the thing from trying one once and watching a couple of videos).

Fwiw, with that new Macbook Air, switching IRs is even faster than in that video. Too bad (well, not really...) I don't need to go for such things often anymore.

I have some Ownhammer and York Audio packs, used ownhammer for a long time.

Since I rarely record stuff these days and I just go straight for Marshall sounds and that's it, I use one IR only and that's a York Audio greenback.
The York greenbacks are so sweet.

Spent a few hours in IR land yesterday. I’m updating my FM9 presets and decided to start by whittling it down to the 4 cab channels I’m building my main patch around.

When I got the FM9, I pulled up the DynaCab block and quickly dialed in a greenback 412 that I could use for everything. That works fine but this time I wanted to make an attempt at using different cabs for different amp sounds and see how I feel about the results of that approach.

I had completely ignored the factory IRs, and I hadn’t revisited my go-to York IRs since getting the FM9. First, I’m really happy with the factory IR selection in the FM9 and the DynaCabs. They hold up pretty well to my favorites and the multiple versions of the factory irs allows for blending pretty similarly to what I do with DynaCab (or the helix equivalent).

The York mix IRs seem to generally have a clarity in the upper mids and highs that I struggle to replicate with other approaches and the bottom end is there without being hyped or problematic. I could get great sounds from the DynaCabs, but I couldn’t get things quite as good as the York IR, there’s maybe what I’d call an extra 5% that I just couldn’t quite get to. Close enough for rock and roll for sure though. If there’s a DynaCab I like for a sound that I don’t have a York IR for, I can comfortably use the DynaCab. Where I have both, I may take the DynaCab for a spin, but I’m probably better off to just grab a York mix that I like and move on.

D

Solodallas >> ownwhammer >> all
no way.
I'm not saying that every OH is golden but there are so many fantastic Ownhammer offerings they are still the reigning king and they are the bar by which all other IRs are measured IMO.
Solodallas does have some gems like their G12-65 so don't get me wrong.
After seeing so many companies do IRs, I find it hard not to find a good IR made by anyone. There is always something in any pack that would work for me. Like I said there are many individual IR files out there that I may prefer to OH but if I was forced to use one vendor it would be OH.
The PR25, PR20, GNR25, GNR75, ORNG, MAR66, RECTO STD, EDVH, DZL-RL, m55, h55, h75, v60, v70, BB1, the Green Vintage pack, the Rockbox, the Essentials., VVRB E130, MAR-CB V30 and M20, MAR-TV.... all quality.
I prefer OH over York for almost anything but they also have some great stuff. The BGNR, MES 212, ZILLA stuff is very good.

Having said that, as I look at my most used presets I'm currently running these:
MR-CB71_G12M25 by CABIR
MR-PIN68_G12M20 by CABIR
VH-Green69
OH PR25
OH GNR M75 EVOLUTION
OH ORNG M25/V30
OH MOABI
OLA THE ONE
SOLODALLAS 1979 G12-65
BHG M412 V30
LANCASTER Marshall 1960B JMP
SOLODALLAS JBL D120f
Redwirez BW-M25 Cap-edge-1
josh middleton 412 Brit 60 V30 TR
Giocomo Pasquali/Boutique Tones - BT-412-MRSHLL77-G12M-HRTG
Giocomo Pasquali/Boutique Tones - BT-412-UEM-SF-FANE
LANCASTER EDS AMP Cap

Last edited:
I only really use my own impulses these days.

There are ways to cope with that :hugitout
Sad Love You GIF by Muppet Wiki

I’d like to hear how the Yorks sound with the DynaCabs treatment/processing.

What do you mean treatment/processing? It was my understanding that the DynaCab thing similar to the Helix new cabs is just a simplified UI for selecting IRs. It’s still an IR under the hood.

D

What do you mean treatment/processing? It was my understanding that the DynaCab thing similar to the Helix new cabs is just a simplified UI for selecting IRs. It’s still an IR under the hood.

D

Yeah I thought it was a fancy robot moving around to snap a bunch of IR’s that were then used with the new UI.

Back