Is there a simple tool for making impulse responses?

A sine sweep is always the best analytic signal. The Tone Match block doesn't do deconvolution. It's a dual-channel FFT analyzer that does frequency response matching. You can use it to generate an IR but it will be minimum-phase.

The length of the sweep depends upon the ambient noise. When capturing speakers the mic is so close to the speaker that any ambient noise is relatively low in amplitude so you don't need a long sweep. One second is plenty. If you are capturing a room IR then ideally you would measure the ambient noise of the room, the intensity of the sweep source and from there calculate the required sweep length.

The internal IR capture tool in the Axe-Fx works great but it won't export .wav files.

Just to make sure, the internal IR capture tool can only be used with the analog outputs and inputs, right? There is no way to route it to be used purely through USB? I had tried it before some time ago, but couldn't figure it out through USB, and that's what led me to the tone match block.

Fractal's IR capture tool is fantastic. I would love to have the option to export those to WAV files.

Alternative is to fuss around with the IR creation tool in Logic and manually trim...no thanks.

Back