How much time do you dedicate to practice

duzie

Shredder
What’s your daily or weekly practice routine?
Do you do anything specific to block out distractions?
At 62 yrs old I thought I’d have more time to do what I want, when I wanted lol.
My reality is that I’m still working a full time job.
Household chores, and being a son, a father and grandfather also take up a great deal of my time and energy.
I average about an hour a night during the work week and maybe 11/2 hrs per day on the weekends.
Motivate me TGF !

I don't look at it as practice really, it's more a writing session / idea collection process these days. I will work on a scale or melodic concept but it's usually connected with the writing. I try to play at least an hour a day during the week but it's been very difficult lately with other obligations. Weekends are usually the time I can sit and really dive into music. That's my plan here shortly. :grin I've had my coffee and breakfast and going to hit it.
Like anything else, set a goal for what you want to accomplish and dedicate the time you feel is right for you. Currently for me it's more important to get a song down. Not that I don't enjoy theory and concepts when my interest is piqued, but it has to be tied into an idea for a song.

Last edited:
This product has become my current form of motivation.
image.jpg

Similar age here.

Until the TGF challenge came along… I would just turn on my playlist of 1000 or so songs on Spotify let it roll, and I play for a couple hours to whatever came on.

Since then, I’m way more like @FuzzyAce, really pulled by the writting, engineering, mix and production.

I can tell that my guitar chops have suffered, but I’m really enjoying trying to understand how to put together decently written piece for one week effort.

I’m told that experience and repetition is the key in mixing … and they don’t mean remixing the same song over and over. some day. Lol

I work from home, so its probably easier for me but I try to do 20-30 min of technique drills first thing in the morning every day. After that for the next 15-30 min depending on how much time I have available, I'll work on song parts I have already started learning or trying to pick out or practice solos. The early morning drills are mostly alternate picking drills, pentatonic scale runs in 1/8th notes and triplets. I have a Mel Bay Technic book by Roger Filiberto I have had since I took lessons about 40 years ago for about a year. At night and on the weekends, I try to learn new songs and riffs and work on cleaning up what I already know.

Anyone ever use this book before?
PXL_20230807_173632201.jpg

I pick interesting solos that have techniques I want to learn, or certain patterns that still give me trouble, as opposed to using boring exercises.

I try to always warm up, starting with slow noodling, after which I'll stretch my hands & fingers a few times, then do some spider walks, since they help reinforce keeping my fingers close to the fretboard. I've seen real improvements in that aspect lately. I'm kind of amazed at how close my fingers stay poised over the notes. Pinky still has some work, but it's even improved a lot since I started really focusing on it. It's extra important to me since my finger speed isn't all that great.

I'm pretty disciplined about practicing to a metronome, especially with legato riffs, because of different fingers having different strength, it's real easy to not keep 2-finger pull-offs, or hammer-ons, in time. I'll practice as slow as needed to keep everything even, time-wise. I have to practice the 1-3-4 riffs a lot more than 1-2-4 ones. Because: pinky!

I also pay extra attention to keeping string changes clean, another area that has gotten a lot better lately. Mostly it's done with the tip of whatever finger staying against the adjacent string, other times it's letting the finger drape against the higher string. Always keeping my palm in play. And with pull-off riffs to an open string, that don't involve the pick at all, I'll rest one of my right hand fingers against the adjacent string.

Another "trick" I like to use to build speed is to do "speed bursts", where you play a riff 3x's at one tempo, then twice at double speed. The faster speed is never the problem, it's switching back to the original speed. So I actually have to practice these slower than I can play them at the faster tempo, by themselves. My thinking is that this helps with control.

Once I know I good and limber, I'll just go for it, playing whatever riffs I'm currently working on as fast as I can, just to push myself. But only for a bit, since I don't want to reinforce sloppy playing.

One other thing I've recently started doing is finding ways to keep open strings quiet. Like, if the first note of a string change is an open string, I'll use that brief "opening" to place an unused finger onto that string, right after the last note prior to the string change. Something I never ever paid attention to, until I started getting super-focused on playing any high-gain riffs as clean as possible. Even the briefest overlap of 2 notes sound like shit with high gain! I hear it, then I'm like, WTF is causing that?? Then I figure out a way to stop it from happening.

Most of my practice involves remembering to do all these little tricks, because lately I'm really trying to get everything I play as accurate as possible. I just don't like sloppy playing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If by “practice” you mean “noodle,” then dozens and dozens of hours a week. 😂

Unless I’m in the studio, recording, or I’m learning songs for a cover band, all I do is noodle. I haven’t had any kind of regular practice routine or schedule since high school and even then it was just ‘get out of school and practice until I can’t keep my eyes open’

Back