Married Peoples: How do you balance division of chores?

Happy Joaquin Phoenix GIF by Bombay Softwares

The vibe of the quoted post
Which one do you mean?? :grin

It's simple.

Wife's nightly chore is to bring in birdfeeders.

At the beginning of the month she does our shopping trip. I hate people-ing, especially shopping. So she does that, so I don't have to.
She says it's better for her this way anyway, I agree.

So tonight, while she sleeps away foot pain, I bring in the feeders and do her night time chores, with no complaints.

I think that in this lays the secret to a satisfying marriage. Appreciate the ones around you, and they will appreciate you.

It's all a partnership, and we are a team. Us against the world ..and chores.

I do dishes, she does dishes, shit ..the dog does dishes! We both do laundry, and we both clean.....she would help with the lawn chores, but I don't like repairing machines that much!😝

We try not to look at them like chores in the first place, we would have to do it if we were single anyway. At least this way we split the load ...so to speak.

Last edited:
For several years now, my wife and I have divided chores such that the number of items on each person's list is approximately the same. While that looks good on paper, I do not believe that this is a particularly fair method. Many of the chores that I have been assigned require more time to complete, are more physically demanding, and must be completed with greater frequency. I can confidently state that an hour for hour comparison of our time spent on chores would show that I spend more time per week on chores than she does.

Before we had a kid and we both worked, the imbalance didn't bother me much because I still had ample free time. Now it feels pretty imbalanced especially considering that my wife no longer has a paying job. She stays at home to care for our son while I work a M-F job that pays the bills. Neither of us wanted kids when we married, so quitting her job to stay at home with a kid has been a big sacrifice. Its not like I don't help with child care either. I am responsible for all child care between the hours of 6 pm to 6:30 am. While it is true that our son is asleep for most of those hours, she gets to sleep through the night uninterrupted while I handle any night time waking.

Earlier this week we ended up having a heated discussion around the division of labor in our house. My wife accused me of treating her as though her time was not valuable and strongly implied (although did not outright state) that her share of the work is is unfairly burdensome. I was kind of shocked considering how I perceive the situation. I had actually been considering broaching the same topic to ask her to take on a few of my chores since she is home all day now. The conversation didn't lead to any changes to our respective responsibilities, but it was eye opening to hear her perspective.

I noticed that she is currently reading the book Fair Play by Eve Rodsky. From what I have been able to ascertain in the bit of time I've spent to get a synopsis of the book, it is specifically marketed to women to provide them with a game plan to help them unload some of their responsibilities onto the man in their life. I anticipate that she will be revisiting the division of labor topic with me in the coming days.

How do you fine peoples go about balancing the chores in your relationships?
I've always been a real go-getter. I put my wife to work, and then I go get her. I usually try to pick her up early enough so she's not too tired to do the chores when she gets home. We've been married 28 years.

Back