Helix 3.8 when?

That's the thing - when you plug into a cab, you no longer have to fiddle with low pass freq/slope etc.

It's plug and play. That high cut stuff etc is when you're playing through ""FRFR"" / IEM, trying to make a flat response speaker sound like a guitar speaker.
Tbh, even with a power amp and guitar cab, I'll find myself applying a high cut. Sounds "amp-like" to my ears, either matter of taste or I'm doing something wrong?

What on earth do IEMs have to do with what the audience hears? :idk
Its A Trap GIF by Star Wars

Tbh, even with a power amp and guitar cab, I'll find myself applying a high cut. Sounds "amp-like" to my ears, either matter of taste or I'm doing something wrong?

Speaker, cab, room, position of cab in room, and position of player relative to cab can all drastically change the sound that you hear.

I've got some great sounding cabs - open back and close back. But the moment I put them in a particular room in my house, they sound terrible. I've done a lot of sound treatment to that room to get it to sound like this other room where the same cabs sound glorious - but it's still not close. In this other room, all the nuances and details of the different amp models come through...but in the first, my bogner OS 2x12 sounds like a 1x6" cab.

Sound comes from speakers.

Sound travels with varying directivity and spl and frequency change over distance

Microphones hear sound.

Ears hear sound.

You cannot chose what sounds do and don't enter a microphone at a given frequency range, SPL and direction

You cannot chose what sounds do and don't enter an ear at a given frequency range, SPL and direction

Your onstage amps, if loud enough, give one part of the audience one type of sound and another part of the audience a drastically different sound or perhaps no sound from them. It is optimal therefore to have none of that particular speaker's sound reaching the audience at all

Your onstage amps, if loud enough, leak into any open mic on that stage causing all sorts of havok, phase problems and even destroy your own guitar sound. It is optimal therefore to have none of that particular speaker's sound reaching any open mics (aside from your amp mic if you are donosaur enough for one) at all

Your onstage level from your guitar amp now becomes the minimum amount subtracted from your vocal mics possible gain before feedback, which was already far too low in the first place if the singer is on wedges and not IEMs

Every open mic may need to be filtered or treated differently (and definitely responds to dynamics processors differently) than had that sound not been leaking into them.

Every bit of onstage sound matters to what the audience hears and the most ironic part is how much better a guitar can sound to the audience if it doesn't have to fight all the problems a loud speaker is making onstage.

Also it means nearly every audience member gets a roughly similar experience

Just as a very very very basic scratching the surface

wow!!!

I don't even know where to begin

How much do you know about how sound travels? Like do you understand sound comes out of speakers and goes out into the air where people can hear it?

I think your post highlights exactly why I don't like IEMs - sound just doesn't travel right in the tiny distance from the IEM driver to the ears. Plus, you can have multiple drivers and get into crossovers, timing and what not. Just doesn't sound right for guitar - lacks fullness and depth.

With a cab - sound diffuses into the air and then reflects around and that's what you hear. And the feel is dramatically different. To me, at least, it's night and day at least with the IEMs I've tried (Shure, Westone and cheaper KZs etc). Maybe one day I'll try the really high end stuff - but with modeling, I can control volume very well so I'm not sure I need to. We'll see.

Sound comes from speakers.

Sound travels with varying directivity and spl and frequency change over distance

Microphones hear sound.

Ears hear sound.

You cannot chose what sounds do and don't enter a microphone at a given frequency range, SPL and direction

You cannot chose what sounds do and don't enter an ear at a given frequency range, SPL and direction

Your onstage amps, if loud enough, give one part of the audience one type of sound and another part of the audience a drastically different sound or perhaps no sound from them. It is optimal therefore to have none of that particular speaker's sound reaching the audience at all

Your onstage amps, if loud enough, leak into any open mic on that stage causing all sorts of havok, phase problems and even destroy your own guitar sound. It is optimal therefore to have none of that particular speaker's sound reaching any open mics (aside from your amp mic if you are donosaur enough for one) at all

Your onstage level from your guitar amp now becomes the minimum amount subtracted from your vocal mics possible gain before feedback, which was already far too low in the first place if the singer is on wedges and not IEMs

Every open mic may need to be filtered or treated differently (and definitely responds to dynamics processors differently) than had that sound not been leaking into them.

Every bit of onstage sound matters to what the audience hears and the most ironic part is how much better a guitar can sound to the audience if it doesn't have to fight all the problems a loud speaker is making onstage.

Also it means nearly every audience member gets a roughly similar experience

Just as a very very very basic scratching the surface

Ah I see. You're just pushing silent stages/"everything should be direct" nonsense

Going direct with a guitar live sucks ass. As a performer, or audience member, sorry

And trying to make it sound like mic'ing a cab is some nightmare or hard thing to do for a sound guy is also absurd, but I think we've bouted about that before

IEMS rule because you can monitor exactly what you want at reasonable volume and actually hear the sound that’s coming out of the PA. Guitar cabs are garbage-ass speaker systems, that’s why they sound way different in different rooms, on different stages, and are super directional. Guitar preamps are just a series of compromises to accommodate terrible speaker systems, lol.

I like getting the sound of my mic'ed guitar cabs both out to the audience and into my IEMs :D I don't know anyone who would have an IEM mix that matches what the audience is hearing through the PA

No guitar cab on stage = :barf:barf:barf

For me at least. Unenjoyable playing experience, and unenjoyable audience experience especially if we're talking clubs or smaller. YMMV though. Follow your heart :beer

IEMS rule because you can monitor exactly what you want at reasonable volume and actually hear the sound that’s coming out of the PA. Guitar cabs are garbage-ass speaker systems, that’s why they sound way different in different rooms, on different stages, and are super directional. Guitar preamps are just a series of compromises to accommodate terrible speaker systems, lol.
Serious, non-snark question. Have you ever played a GOOD amp IRL? I see a lot of these types of comments and I get it I guess if you are young enough to never have cracked open a 5150 through a 412 or any equivalent "I grew up in the 80s and 90s bencmark amp" I could see it I guess...?

Why stop there? Guitars are just hopelessly inadequate replacements for what every guitarist truly desires -

woman-harp.jpg

Back