Fractal Talk

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

So, I talk my buddy into taking the plunge; he orders an FM9T yesterday (Sunday). Today, there's a $100 off sale for Halloween. He emails them to see about getting the $100 credited, since it hadn't even shipped yet.

Fractal Customer Service said:
We very rarely do this, but in this case I refunded $100 to your card.

Really? Are they taking CS lessons from Kiesel? That's pretty douchey, IMO. Just refund the amount, without snark. I can understand saying that if it's been a week, or whatever. But the next day, from a weekend order?

So, I talk my buddy into taking the plunge; he orders an FM9T yesterday (Sunday). Today, there's a $100 off sale for Halloween. He emails them to see about getting the $100 credited, since it hadn't even shipped yet.

Really? Are they taking CS lessons from Kiesel? That's pretty douchey, IMO. Just refund the amount, without snark. I can understand saying that if it's been a week, or whatever. But the next day, from a weekend order?

Hahaha I agree that it’d be silly to NOT refund it, but we got different definitions of snark. :rofl

I view that more of a “We’re going to do this, but if you post it on the internet we’re not going to hook everyone up who ordered last week with $100 off” kinda thing

Hahaha I agree that it’d be silly to NOT refund it, but we got different definitions of snark. :rofl

I view that more of a “We’re going to do this, but if you post it on the internet we’re not going to hook everyone up who ordered last week with $100 off” kinda thing
I guess. Like I said, it was literally yesterday that he ordered. It's just good customer service to do it, when the order hasn't even shipped. "Snark", whatever you want to call it, it's unnecessary. You know what I got the few times that's happened at Sweetwater? "Sure thing! I'll get that credited to your account".

Perception counts.

EDIT

Sorry, it just rubbed me the wrong way, after convincing him to give it a shot, and then the sale happens (obviously there's always a chance of that) and that email, he screencapped it and said "uh, really? I just ordered it on a Sunday. Am I going to regret this? Is their customer service decent if I have an issue?"

EDIT AGAIN

Don’t worry, I’ll still proudly wear my Fractal hat, fractal tshirt, and fractal thong underwear. I realize they probably get dozens of emails a day about this shit.

Last edited:
from contemplating selling the FM-3 a few weeks ago to thinking “why on earth would I sell this?”

and as cool as the FX are, I actually get more enjoyment just using the amp models, diving into them and then using my favourite plugins for FX. I just find it more inspiring to have specific controls with specific ranges and behaviours rather than a kind of sandbox. If I was playing live I’m sure I could recreate those sounds if I needed them.

There’s just so many amps in there that I don’t really want to own and the Fractal models just scratch the itch and feel fun to play.

from contemplating selling the FM-3 a few weeks ago to thinking “why on earth would I sell this?”

and as cool as the FX are, I actually get more enjoyment just using the amp models, diving into them and then using my favourite plugins for FX. I just find it more inspiring to have specific controls with specific ranges and behaviours rather than a kind of sandbox. If I was playing live I’m sure I could recreate those sounds if I needed them.

There’s just so many amps in there that I don’t really want to own and the Fractal models just scratch the itch and feel fun to play.
It depends. I generally don't run a ton of effects, and often do as you do, using plugins in the DAW. But Fractal's effects are so goddamned good, I gotta use them sometimes. I understand why they've never done a plugin version, but I wish they would, just for using it with hardware.

It depends. I generally don't run a ton of effects, and often do as you do, using plugins in the DAW. But Fractal's effects are so goddamned good, I gotta use them sometimes. I understand why they've never done a plugin version, but I wish they would, just for using it with hardware.
I think for most of the FX, I have go to’s that I can get what I need quicker and in a more inspiring/intuitive way for my taste. I don’t think any other modeller really has the quality of FX fractal has, even if you have to design some of them.

I’d love go see dedicated plugins where they go to town on the UI and controls that are available to you. Like a dedicated Fractal tape echo where everything you need is on one window with nice tapers and a clear direction of how to use it, rather than the “DIY toolkit approach” (which is cool too but time and place).

I guess. Like I said, it was literally yesterday that he ordered. It's just good customer service to do it, when the order hasn't even shipped. "Snark", whatever you want to call it, it's unnecessary. You know what I got the few times that's happened at Sweetwater? "Sure thing! I'll get that credited to your account".

Perception counts.

EDIT

Sorry, it just rubbed me the wrong way, after convincing him to give it a shot, and then the sale happens (obviously there's always a chance of that) and that email, he screencapped it and said "uh, really? I just ordered it on a Sunday. Am I going to regret this? Is their customer service decent if I have an issue?"

EDIT AGAIN

Don’t worry, I’ll still proudly wear my Fractal hat, fractal tshirt, and fractal thong underwear. I realize they probably get dozens of emails a day about this shit.
see the advantages to waiting...
Still Waiting Office Tv GIF by The Office

Perception counts.

EDIT

EDIT AGAIN

stripes lighten GIF

Just Kidding Jk GIF

I'm with you @timbuck3, I'm holding out for a smaller form factor rackmount processor with at least as much processing power as the FM9x series. Do away with the onboard UI and have a mobile editor :guinessanything to get it down to 2u or even 1u :guiness

I can wait, I might go back to school and get my teaching credential so I can type these posts without holding someone's sleeping baby in my arms and make twice as much moolah.

I'm with you @timbuck3, I'm holding out for a smaller form factor rackmount processor with at least as much processing power as the FM9x series. Do away with the onboard UI and have a mobile editor :guinessanything to get it down to 2u or even 1u :guiness

I can wait, I might go back to school and get my teaching credential so I can type these posts without holding someone's sleeping baby in my arms and make twice as much moolah.
i think you are making fun of me somehow but i will say the fractal hands down wins in tones and effects and form is good but the gui is making me hesitate. The opposite is true for the tmp. I DONT HAVE TO BUY ANYTHING so wish people would cuit telling me to buy for the hec of it with my money.lol...my response is you buy one for me and send it to me ok?

i think you are making fun of me somehow but i will say the fractal hands down wins in tones and effects and form is good but the gui is making me hesitate. The opposite is true for the tmp. I DONT HAVE TO BUY ANYTHING so wish people would cuit telling me to buy for the hec of it with my money.lol...my response is you buy one for me and send it to me ok?
What you say if I told you Cliff has no visible tattoos? Would you get one then?

YOU said the other day you were buying one! :rofl

Wait.....didn't you even say you ordered one?!?!

Back