Fractal Talk

I know it's very amp dependent but where do you all tend to put a ribbon and dynamic for dynacabs?

I’ll look around when I can actually get behind my computer. I know most of my conventional places I haven’t been going to due to the lack of the angle option in the cab block. IE- I’ve almost always been able to get where I want to go by putting a 57 at a 45 degree angle directly between the cone and cap on almost any speaker, but angling the mic is what made it work. I’ve been all over the place with the DynaCabs.

What features would you like to see?
off the top of my head:

- A better browser for importing IR's (meta data, colour coding, favourites, type to search, some kind of smart way of grouping IR's based on folder etc).
- Ability to quickly go through the IR folder
- Ability to EQ each IR prior to blending
- Ability to EQ the sum of the IR's
- Panning per IR
- Global panning

- some kind of SIC support would be cool, even if it doesn't affect the sound, at least when you import the cab into a Fractal device it can automatically update to the correct SIC

Agree on the .wav export - if a user is determined enough to do this, its easy enough to just make an IR of the plugin. Ultimately I think CabLab is designed for a more narrow intention than perhaps what some users may want. This is ultimately because IMO no one has quite got the "cab plugin" totally nailed yet. They all seem to come close, where each offers something useful, but then they're missing other things that competing products have.

This is ultimately because IMO no one has quite got the "cab plugin" totally nailed yet. They all seem to come close, where each offers something useful, but then they're missing other things that competing products have.
Amen to that. For me ML Sound Lab MIKKO is pretty great as it contains most of the things on your list. Except it doesn't have 3rd party IR support and its cab selection has way too many 4x12 "metal" cabs and not enough old school 1x12s etc.

I haven't bought MIKKO 2 because it's expensive considering I have bought MIKKO 1 + some cab packs that cover what I want, I'd just like to have the nicer UI. Maybe if it's on sale for Black Friday and can be stacked with existing user code to make it worth it.

Amen to that. For me ML Sound Lab MIKKO is pretty great as it contains most of the things on your list. Except it doesn't have 3rd party IR support and its cab selection has way too many 4x12 "metal" cabs and not enough old school 1x12s etc.

I haven't bought MIKKO 2 because it's expensive considering I have bought MIKKO 1 + some cab packs that cover what I want, I'd just like to have the nicer UI. Maybe if it's on sale for Black Friday and can be stacked with existing user code to make it worth it.
Ha for me, the no.1 feature is to import and organise my own IR’s. So I haven’t even tried Mikko as a result. Feature wise, it probably does seem the closest to what I’d want. But I specifically want to use my own IR’s, because they’re captured exactly how I want them.

I start with a single mic first:
Condenser, start at 5 diameter and 5 distance and tweak from there

If going to the dual mic route:
Dynamic 1, start at 5 diameter and 0 distance
Ribbon, start at 3 diameter and 10 distance

Okay, so there is no capture of the mics at an angle then, I guess. I'm in the beta, but I haven't been able to test this with guitar in hand yet!

The angular parameters is not "mic angle", it's just a way to move the mic in circle around the speaker
That is correct when I first saw that I thought cool on/off axis choices but it was confirmed that angle is not axis

You are right, PW. If people can't find a tone to absolutely be super stoked and inspired by
in the Fractal then they are, in fact, "losers." :LOL:
jim carrey lol GIF

It’s too fucking good. Try changing the tubes to EL34 Mullards. It’s the shit.
I actually tried ALL tubes (one of my favorite things to play with when using a new amp) and I settled on the EL34SVET! I love changing the tubes on amps and am amazed at what a difference it can make in an amps raw sound!! Thanks for the suggestion, I will give the EL34 MUL another listen next time I am in there!!!

CabLab4 is such a puzzling missed opportunity for FAS.
It seems like its specifically designed for someone who wants owns a FAS unit, isn't satisfied (for some reason) with dynacabs on the unit and wants to buy FAS cab packs to then only export them to a FAS unit... like how small is that market?

If your end game is not getting a tone into a FAS unit then how do you use these? Your only option is the plugin which one could argue is "fine" for today but that's not a smart way to go about things. Once you shoot out an IR in a modelled env like Dynacabs, having IR's in a universal WAV format makes way more sense for archiving/universal use reasons. Pretty much every other IR loader/blender allows exporting to WAV its universal at this point.

To me the whole setup of going hey world, checkout cablab4... its a great fully featured plugin for you all to use and if you love it so much go over to our store and start buying some cabs. A person goes oh wow this is cool and better than other free IR loaders, I WILL use this as my main now and might even pick up some packs in the future,.... but instead its like... oh wait I can't export anything, pass. Do they hate sales or something?

I suspected they are paranoid about piracy... its 2023, noone is short of IRs or apps like Amplitube5, Mikko2, AmpHub, Wall of Sound, Celestion etc etc to shootout your own virtual mic IRs... its all been done already, who do they think is out there waiting to buy and rip all of their cab packs? But yes I see the reason they've crippled CabLab4 is because of piracy concerns. Someone mentioned that you can just run white noise through this plugin, do a capture of the IR and voila there's your own WAV export of it. The FAS response to that was that its illegal etc etc... man, so disappointing.

I know I'm one guy but would have switched over from NadIR to CabLab4 in a heartbeat if it had the below features. And over time I would have picked up a bunch of their dynacab packs, but I guess it's not the kind of customer they want and I'll just continue on using what I have access to now.

- Can't export .wavs to be used universally
- Can't easily manage existing IR's (have to add them one by one)
- Panning per IR
- Master Output to compensate all IRs in the DAW/Session

1697338333041.png

Back