Fractal Talk

yes, the more I realize that I am content with just one amp, chorus, delay and reverb, the more I toy with the idea of selling all the Fractal stuff.
Kind of get tired listening for 'how real it sounds/feels' when amps are coming with more features.
If evh ever puts out a lunch box 5153 with integrated load box/IRs and a stereo loop, it's all over.
5150 -> dc2 -> sde3 -> ps-6 -> done
I was looking at the Astro 20 but......
I am the same w Bogner if synergy ever does an Astro 20 type thing but with Bogner Modes clean , Blue , Red and Uber I am there

I am the same w Bogner if synergy ever does an Astro 20 type thing but with Bogner Modes clean , Blue , Red and Uber I am there

You could go with a SYN2, then add the below card, and the Uber 2 channel. The only thing missing is the IR loader but it does let you bypass and go direct. They are almost there.

1726276694117.png

Last edited:
I am constantly discovering new ways to integrate the AxeFx with my real Amp+Load+Cab setup.
Sometimes it responsible for all the Tone, sometimes it is a SPDIF sound-card to the PC and the tone is from the amp+load box, sometimes it is just an EQ which goes back to a Cab through a power amp.
As a routing hub/integrator it is sooo useful, even without using the amp models.

And when I want to try the hot-flavor-of-the-week-hyped-up-youtube-shilled tube amp... I do it on the AxeFx.

Running my current favorite method of Amp+Load Box into the AxeFx, I have been A/B comparing my amps with the models and they are nigh on identical after adjusting the Impedance curve.

Switching between the JCM800 and the AxeFx model:

In 1: Instrument Input on the AxeFx.
In 2: from the JCM800+Suhr Reactive Load
Out 2: SPDIF output into my DAW, same IR.

AxeEdit.jpg

axefx.jpg

Switching cables between the real amp input and axefx input with a loop box.

loop box.jpg

That floor. 🤮

Go on @Orvillain, sell your AxeFx, you don't need it.

Running my current favorite method of Amp+Load Box into the AxeFx, I have been A/B comparing my amps with the models and they are nigh on identical after adjusting the Impedance curve.

Switching between the JCM800 and the AxeFx model:

In 1: Instrument Input on the AxeFx.
In 2: from the JCM800+Suhr Reactive Load
Out 2: SPDIF output into my DAW, same IR.

View attachment 28440

View attachment 28437

Switching cables between the real amp input and axefx input with a loop box.

View attachment 28439

That floor. 🤮

Go on @Orvillain, sell your AxeFx, you don't need it.

WOW... Can you post a pick with the "Speaker Impedance Curve" page pretty please? I'd like to replicate those settings. It has that good low-end thump I found missing.

WOW... Can you post a pick with the "Speaker Impedance Curve" page pretty please? I'd like to replicate those settings. It has that good low-end thump I found missing.

I find the AxeFx to be over-thumping so I think I've lowered the resonance a touch, I also lowered the high slope frequency to around 1100Hz.
I could run sweeps to make a better match to the Suhr RL, but that would be after Fractal allows me to save the custom curve.

Untitled.png

I'm just having an issue with the "fun" factor right now.
If you want to sound phenomenal spontaneously; the Axe is the GOAT. As far as modeling goes. Pick an amp and rip.

It's when you want to change up your routing or (especially ime) your switching assignments/options where the fun gets immediately drained from the proceedings.

If you want to sound phenomenal spontaneously; the Axe is the GOAT. As far as modeling goes. Pick an amp and rip.

It's when you want to change up your routing or (especially ime) your switching assignments/options where the fun gets immediately drained from the proceedings.
For me footswitch assignments are "do it once" stuff most of the time. It's the "I want to play around with effects, or adjust this preset to fit the guitar I use a bit better" where the fun gets sucked out as you painstakingly menu back and forth unless using Axe-Edit.

By comparison on my amp or pedalboard it's "grab a knob and adjust".

This is not even just a Fractal issue, as other units have similar "how annoying is it to get to the things you want to tweak" problems.

I've had to accept that any setup I'd use, whether it's amp/pedals, various modelers, or plugins; will sound phenomenal, have unique benefits, and have some measure of unique compromises.

I just need to figure out what mix of benefits compromises I'm most happy with at a given time. It changes for me from time to time which is why I end up swapping out of and into the same gear over and over.

I also like shiny new things 🤷🏾‍♂️

I've been thinking, maybe the lack of much requested solid state amp models is because Fractal doesn't have accurate enough algorithms for solid state components and complex circuits yet?
There are some solid state amps from the 80s and 90s that are as iconic in metal music as some of the most iconic tube amps.

I'm going to accept that personal conclusion until I'm proven wrong by playing a kick ass Fractal amp model of a Valvestate 8100, Peavey Bandit and a Randall RG100.

Last edited:
I've been thinking, maybe the lack of much requested solid state amp models is because Fractal doesn't have accurate enough algorithms for solid state components and complex circuits yet?
There are some solid state amps from the 80s and 90s that are as iconic in metal music as some of the most iconic tube amps.

I'm going to accept that personal conclusion until I'm proven wrong buy play a kick ass Fractal amp model of a Valvestate 8100, Peavey Bandit and a Randall RG100.
My guess is they just don't have a ton of interest in procuring the amps and modeling them to satisfy a very small niche of people who want them. Most buy the Fractal for tube amp simulation.

I'm going to accept that personal conclusion until I'm proven wrong buy play a kick ass Fractal amp model of a Valvestate 8100, Peavey Bandit and a Randall RG100.
I had a Valvestate (hybrid), Bandit and the RG100.. are you sure we want to model those? :grin

Back