Fractal Talk

So the Axe is lovely. I think I could definitely run with this. But I don't think it is going to kick the Meris LVX off my board, mainly from a glitchy granular perspective. But also, the Axe FX III doesn't transmit midi clock, so I'm not too sure what to do there. I do have a DisasterArea Micro Clock that I could use to clock the LVX and the Axe FX III... so a board could be something like this....

1725224064051.png

Cable-wise I'd need a TRS>Midi going to the LVX, then from that to the Axe III, then from the Axe III going to the EM switcher unit, then to the amp. Then I'd need my 4 cables for 4CM, plus I'd need my expression pedals wired into the FC12, as well as connecting the FC12 itself using an XLR.

So that's 10 or 11 cables to mess around with. GAHHHHHH.

I've truly always felt this way!! It was good enough for Van Halen!!

I've always ran single stomps into the front of my amps but then stopped gigging and went fully digital for a while playing at home.

I started gigging again two years ago and still had a stomp so thought I'd be better off in 4cm and put my delays etc in the loop. I've had a love hate thing with it for two years now but a month ago just whacked everything in the front and haven't had a single problem since.

How would you do 4-cable-method and use some external effects at the same time with the Axe3 or even the FM9???? Ideally I'd still want the ability to put the external effects before or after the amplifier, which I guess means patching it into the Axe3 somehow?

How would you do 4-cable-method and use some external effects at the same time with the Axe3 or even the FM9???? Ideally I'd still want the ability to put the external effects before or after the amplifier, which I guess means patching it into the Axe3 somehow?
Admittedly I am merely lurking, and don't own a FAS device, but I am sure you could do it easier than you think.

I was just being silly, but I run a unit in stereo, with 4cm and while a chore to get it right ..it can be done, and the results will be epic ..along with the level of control over every aspect that you could think of.

I run effects before and after the unit, pre and post efx loop...and into the front end all seamless and controllable....to be honest, you would probably have better luck than myself, as you have the axe fx....I am sure you can do it.

I understand liking the pre and running into the front end ...I do, I'm an not really against it...just not how I would do it ...but if you love it, sweet bro.

That is all that matters....I was just poking fun at all you crazies.🤣

Admittedly I am merely lurking, and don't own a FAS device, but I am sure you could do it easier than you think.

I was just being silly, but I run a unit in stereo, with 4cm and while a chore to get it right ..it can be done, and the results will be epic ..along with the level of control over every aspect that you could think of.

I run effects before and after the unit, pre and post efx loop...and into the front end all seamless and controllable....to be honest, you would probably have better luck than myself, as you have the axe fx....I am sure you can do it.

I understand liking the pre and running into the front end ...I do, I'm an not really against it...just not how I would do it ...but if you love it, sweet bro.

That is all that matters....I was just poking fun at all you crazies.🤣
For some context:

That's a lot of delay and reverb hitting the front of the amp, in various ways. Not AxeIII, but the principle is the same.

For some context:

That's a lot of delay and reverb hitting the front of the amp, in various ways. Not AxeIII, but the principle is the same.

I get it, and love that sound ...but when you do it that way you can't have it both ways, simply.

With my method, or whatever is standard 4cm for fractal, you can have it both ways ...cake and eat it!! See what I'm saying....you can still do it that way ..just better....in my dumb opinion.

Again, to each their own.... my gig is maximum control of everything, as to adjust for clarity and mix.....just me.

I love that post rock, shoegaze influence too....it all has a place at my table.

With my device, I can move my preamp wherever in the virtual chain, I assume the fractal is the same. That is the way.

I also run stuff along with, like a delay after, further down the line....or a synth on one side of the field, just after efx loop, but before the effects unit...and that has a blend...so shit can get way cool.

I get it, and love that sound ...but when you do it that way you can't have it both ways, simply.

With my method, or whatever is standard 4cm for fractal, you can have it both ways ...cake and eat it!! See what I'm saying....you can still do it that way ..just better....in my dumb opinion.

Again, to each their own.... my gig is maximum control of everything, as to adjust for clarity and mix.....just me.

I love that post rock, shoegaze influence too....it all has a place at my table.
Yeah so my template has delay and reverb blocks before the amp for that reason. So I can have the best of both worlds. There are some songs where I added a triplet 8th note analog delay in post for example, which would be good to be able to do live; if that band ever plays live again!!! No idea at this point.

There is a gap with the Fractal in terms of granular chopper/stutter/mangle effects. They don't really have anything dedicated to that. Helix has Glitch Delay, and it is instant texture-creation-zone just with one instance in a preset! I really wish the Axe had something like that.

Yeah so my template has delay and reverb blocks before the amp for that reason. So I can have the best of both worlds. There are some songs where I added a triplet 8th note analog delay in post for example, which would be good to be able to do live; if that band ever plays live again!!! No idea at this point.

There is a gap with the Fractal in terms of granular chopper/stutter/mangle effects. They don't really have anything dedicated to that. Helix has Glitch Delay, and it is instant texture-creation-zone just with one instance in a preset! I really wish the Axe had something like that.
It's these conversations like this, that have me pausing and waiting until I make my next modelling purchase. I wanted the fm3, but apparently 4cm isn't it's strong suit, and anything else is overkill for me.

Sorry I couldn't help more ...id draw out my signal path, but I'm sure it wouldn't be of help. Just fark with it, just set aside a night to figure it out and I bet it pays off!

Also, to be fair, I was solely commenting on everything into the front end wholesale.....the diagram looks to make sense....didn't even see that to be honest.

Yes that is a lot of cables....but once you get it sussed, you will love it I bet.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Back