Fractal Talk

1723105489153.png

Not very talkative the neighbors, aren't they? :rofl

la respuesta GIF by Becky G

There have only been a few times that I’ve loaded a new firmware and heard a substantial difference in amp modeling. My ears ain’t that good.

I don’t doubt that every update to the algos is incrementally more accurate. Knowing Cliff’s track record, he probably has come up with a new parameter to measure on the physical amplifiers and has used that data to guide his perturbation of the code to more closely match the measured performance.

Thats my experience as well…usually everyone gets super excited about the updates but I almost never hear the difference.

Every update ive had with my FM involving Algo I have heard and noticed a difference always for the better to my liking, no it's not night and day or even substantial, but its cumulative and I know that my FM9 sounds better today than when i first had it
YMMV

:guiness

Last edited:
I've been doing this for 20 years and I'm still learning new things. Part of the learning is coming up with new deterministic signals that can be used to analyze and compare.

While noodling on my guitar recently I heard something that my Deluxe Reverb did that the amp model did not. I tried several other amp modelers and none of them exhibited it either.

So I set out to figure out what I was hearing and why the amp did it and none of the modelers did.

27.00 is the culmination of that research. First I came up with a new stimulus that allowed measuring of the phenomenon. Then I had to figure
out what was causing it. I eventually figured out what was causing it. The challenge was then figuring out how to model it.

I like to wax poetic about these things but internet denizens are want to misconstrue my passion as a marketing stunt so I've largely withdrawn from sharing these days. It's ironic that the very thing (the internet) that was supposed to connect us all together has driven us so far apart.

I've been doing this for 20 years and I'm still learning new things. Part of the learning is coming up with new deterministic signals that can be used to analyze and compare.

While noodling on my guitar recently I heard something that my Deluxe Reverb did that the amp model did not. I tried several other amp modelers and none of them exhibited it either.

So I set out to figure out what I was hearing and why the amp did it and none of the modelers did.

27.00 is the culmination of that research. First I came up with a new stimulus that allowed measuring of the phenomenon. Then I had to figure
out what was causing it. I eventually figured out what was causing it. The challenge was then figuring out how to model it.

I like to wax poetic about these things but internet denizens are want to misconstrue my passion as a marketing stunt so I've largely withdrawn from sharing these days. It's ironic that the very thing (the internet) that was supposed to connect us all together has driven us so far apart.
Mostly everyone here Knows you passion and dedication is second to none hence why the Fractal is also 2nd to none
I thank you for all the Possible wonderful tones that i can get with my amazing FM9

:beer

I think it is great that you post here and on your own forum. For what it’s worth, I don’t think anyone was seriously criticizing. What was posted in the blurb about the firmware update. At least, I don’t think there is any actual malice intended. Just being lighthearted. However, as with anything written, it unfortunately is sometimes misinterpreted.

Just know there are many of us out here who like hearing about it and greatly appreciate all you do to bring us such amazing tools to work with :beer

I very much appreciate the sharing.

As much as I like just playing with guitars and amps, I am thoroughly fascinated by what's going on inside amps, electrical circuits, speaker interaction and everything else; as well as the challenges involved with modelling it.

I am always excited to read more details concerning discoveries or improvements that have been made, and love hearing about this stuff.

Thank you so much for the fruits of your passion, and don't let the .25% weirdo loudmouths (none of which were anyone posting on this forum) ever get to you!

I can't wait to try on my FM9 but am patient, mostly.

I think it is great that you post here and on your own forum. For what it’s worth, I don’t think anyone was seriously criticizing. What was posted in the blurb about the firmware update. At least, I don’t think there is any actual malice intended. Just being lighthearted. However, as with anything written, it unfortunately is sometimes misinterpreted.
I read it the same way as FractalAudio did. Whether or not that was intentional, that’s what I got from it too. Instead of being condescending, realize people read things a little differently sometimes.

Back