Fractal Talk

But he doesn't say that artifacts weren't present before this update. Only that they are desirable. If you'd played one, you'd know they weren't absent prior to this release. Only that this release improves upon them.

The ongoing perfection of imperfections…

There have only been a few times that I’ve loaded a new firmware and heard a substantial difference in amp modeling. My ears ain’t that good.

I don’t doubt that every update to the algos is incrementally more accurate. Knowing Cliff’s track record, he probably has come up with a new parameter to measure on the physical amplifiers and has used that data to guide his perturbation of the code to more closely match the measured performance.

I actually read that paragraph and laughed as I assumed it was said tongue-in-cheek. I could be wrong.

Edit: (deleted) lol that was a screenshot! 😂

Y’all keep talking ish and Cliff gonna charge us $99 to play with our Plini.

im horny jack nicholson GIF

I always thought his L6 tone was great but TOP told me it was "horrible". I thought I was going crazy.
TOP is jealous of virtuosos of any kind.
They’re also not hip with the cool kids so those boomers practice the same pentatonic arpeggios since 1989 and still can’t “get past the hump”.

Honestly doesn't matter but

"NOTE: The new amp algorithms are more accurate than prior firmware releases. This creates various “artifacts” that real tube amps produce. These include low-frequency intermodulation distortion, “clutter”, spitting and other non-ideal behaviors. These behaviors, however, are precisely what gives tube amps warmth, dynamics and character. They go hand-in-hand. Without these, amp modeling sounds sterile and uninteresting."

New amp algo for this firmware is being touted as more accurate and the calling card to this accuracy seems to be these "artifacts". Cliff then goes on to say without said artifacts modeling sounds sterile and uninteresting. So if these "artifacts" weren't in the previous firmwares, which it appears they were not, then previous firmwares amp modeling was sterile and uninteresting (to cliff)

I’ll take it as vindication that I found some of those “undesirable” things missing. In the end, I didn’t care that much because I overall love the power of the unit and what all it does for me. I do kinda miss the wild stuff that NMV amps cranked do, look forward to seeing if this FW captures that better. No one hate, but Helix did a damn good job of capturing some of that mojo. Still prefer FM9 even if this FW doesn’t quite capture what I’m talking about.

D

Honestly doesn't matter but

"NOTE: The new amp algorithms are more accurate than prior firmware releases. This creates various “artifacts” that real tube amps produce. These include low-frequency intermodulation distortion, “clutter”, spitting and other non-ideal behaviors. These behaviors, however, are precisely what gives tube amps warmth, dynamics and character. They go hand-in-hand. Without these, amp modeling sounds sterile and uninteresting."

New amp algo for this firmware is being touted as more accurate and the calling card to this accuracy seems to be these "artifacts". Cliff then goes on to say without said artifacts modeling sounds sterile and uninteresting. So if these "artifacts" weren't in the previous firmwares, which it appears they were not, then previous firmwares amp modeling was sterile and uninteresting (to cliff)
Just goes to show that however good you think it is today there's always room to improve... Pretty sure people thought the Axe2 was as good as it gets :rofl

Regardless, the way it is worded makes it seem like artifacts weren't in previous firmwares
Some of them were not there for sure. Some of them have been there all along like on some Fender amps I remember the manual explaining why some amps might create wolf notes and stuff like that, can't be bothered checking which one but I'm 100% sure I read it at some point. This is just Cliff explaining a banale concept and someone else harping on that choice of words because their life is boring without picking stupid fights.

I've always heard more crossover/squish/spit (hard to describe it) in real amps when they are cranked compared to models, there's always room for improvement and it is always welcome.
I am grateful that the quality and refinement of models is not tied to some capitalistic plan like with other companies, this is where nobody can touch Fractal.

Some of them were not there for sure. Some of them have been there all along like on some Fender amps I remember the manual explaining why some amps might create wolf notes and stuff like that, can't be bothered checking which one but I'm 100% sure I read it at some point. This is just Cliff explaining a banale concept and someone else harping on that choice of words because their life is boring without picking stupid fights.

I've always heard more crossover/squish/spit (hard to describe it) in real amps when they are cranked compared to models, there's always room for improvement and it is always welcome.
I am grateful that the quality and refinement of models is not tied to some capitalistic plan like with other companies, this is where nobody can touch Fractal.

There are always those people that state that modeling is 99% there, but missing that last little bit. The way I see it, Cliff is looking at that last 1% with a lot of these refinements.

I think everyone likes improvement.

Just goes to show that however good you think it is today there's always room to improve... Pretty sure people thought the Axe2 was as good as it gets :rofl

Exactly. I have been using Fractal since the first Axe-FX Standard in 2006, and it has always been the best available solution for going "FRFR". I've always been happy with it.

Firmware updates are always welcome, but I've never been concerned about suddenly knowing that the previous versions did not handle with total accuracy the anode flux modulator stabilizers, or the harmonic balancing of the thermionic core stabilizers for maximum wave coherence and zero signal drift, or about other people's troubles when they read the FW release notes.

satisfied thats exactly what i wanted GIF by Showtime

Last edited:
Back