Fractal Talk

So it’s kind of dual mono until something is placed in the grid to make it react in stereo?
It’s always stereo unless a block sums the left and right channels at its input.

Basically, barring any additional configuration (input panning or duel amp blocks) it’s going to sum to mono at the amp.
If you set the AMP block input behavior to Sum L+R it’ll sum. Otherwise it just processes the left or the right input.

Im assuming if you output a stereo block into a Y split, (with mono effects in the split paths) it will maintain the stereo image of everything before the split, provided the Y collapses back down to stereo block too.
Correct. All Y patterns on the grid are stereo. Only blocks collapse to mono. The shunts are always stereo.

This weekend i watched a lot of the Metallica's tour show through my Hi-Fi and was amazed at the tones they got and yet not an amp head or cabinet in sight, they are full on Fractal AXE FX II live with IEM's
then i also watched the documentary on the tour Production and gear, man was it ever impressive

"I know the other companies do great stuff, but this (Axe FX III) was like the only thing that was going to do it."

we blended two or three different amps and got the overall sound together, and then we modeled it with the Fractal. And it was amazing because I had a studio-quality sound in my Fractal on tour live!!

:headbang

And having just heard those rigs (they’re on III’s now, BTW) this weekend, anyone dumbass who goes to a Metallica show and thinks the tones suck because they’re not using amps is a straight up …..dumbass. The quality of audio in general was perfect, outside of some loud toms on Lars’ kit, you could hear every riff, every pick attack, every clam.

That said, I can imagine the PA is EQ’d differently to battle the acoustics of a stadium and I might have just been lucky to have it really good where I was sitting. So someone sitting higher up might be getting a bunch more midrange in the guitars than I’m hearing down closer to the floor.

They did “King Nothing” and “Until It Sleeps” this weekend, it was really cool hearing the sounds Kirk did back in the day on those songs recreated. This was the first time they did “Until It Sleeps” in the US since ‘08 and that’s kind of the song that made me first take an interest in them, because I thought that clean guitar part sounded cool AF.

I was at the show in Boston last night and can confirm the tones were impressive. There were some points though when Hetfield was playing a V that sounded like the tone was rolled off a bit. I found it odd. I also didn't like the overall mix much. Very Vocal and drum heavy. which I understand but there were times where the guitar was kind of buried. Any link to the doc. I'm interested because the stage setup is weird.

Nevermind. I now see the post above.

Damn! Had I known you were going I would have loved to have met up for at least a handshake!

Where were you sitting? My buddies and I were a few rows up from the floor, the mix was PERFECT from my spot!

IMG_0205.jpeg

I use a quad diatonic pitch shift for a few songs in my band. I’ve always used a H9 and then when the H90 came out I used that. I always thought the Eventide stuff sounded so killer.
Then when I moved to a full FM9 rig, I tried to replicate that effect.
I thought the fractal pitch shift for that effect sounded spot on to the H90, after messing with the high cut.

It’s just the virtual capo that sounds VERY artifact-y. It almost sounds like there is a slight tremolo effect that warbles when playing chords.

I’ve been tracking some country baritone stuff and it just doesn’t sound great imo. It gets the point across but isn’t good enough to make the cut I don’t think. I’ll need to track down a real baritone and re track.

If you want clean baritone stuff that sounds convincingly like the real deal and tracks fast, nothing I’ve found on the market will satisfy. The virtual capo is useful for moderate shifts in a live mix (used sparingly where you don’t want to retune or switch guitars and you don’t care if the tone is 100% there plus some other caveats). Same thing for the poly stuff in L6, and the drop.

I’ve not heard one of them that was something I’d record in a prominent track and leave it that way unless it was some part where I was okay with something being weird/unnatural.

I used it last week when rehearsing for a cover tune that I needed to play in a different key than the original recording. I’ve used the HX equivalent live a couple times, it does the job. I could do the same with the FM9.

D

Have you all tried the drop pedal? Does that actually track well compared to digital?
I think the Drop and OC-5 are both better.
I use a quad diatonic pitch shift for a few songs in my band. I’ve always used a H9 and then when the H90 came out I used that. I always thought the Eventide stuff sounded so killer.
Then when I moved to a full FM9 rig, I tried to replicate that effect.
I thought the fractal pitch shift for that effect sounded spot on to the H90, after messing with the high cut.

It’s just the virtual capo that sounds VERY artifact-y. It almost sounds like there is a slight tremolo effect that warbles when playing chords.

I’ve been tracking some country baritone stuff and it just doesn’t sound great imo. It gets the point across but isn’t good enough to make the cut I don’t think. I’ll need to track down a real baritone and re track.
Hmm. I’ll give it another shot then.

if your going to do Early EVH stuff none of those will work you need a dedicated guitar with EVH Tuning

I compared the L6 stuff to the digitech, and found the L6 to be superior. I do prefer the control set of the L6 stuff to the FM9, but I haven’t directly compared the FM9 to the Digitech or the l6. It seems similarly useful. From memory, it would outperform the digitech. The L6 and FM9 would be close and probably come down to your personal priorities as to which one you prefer.

I think you see whammy’s and drops on fractal pedalboards because they were there before the poly stuff got added. You’ll see a similar thing on L6 boards.

D

Back