Fractal Talk

First there were tube amps turned up loud; then there were tube amps turned up loud with an overdrive pedal run in front; then there were tube amps run clean with overdrive pedal in front trying to sound like either the 1st or 2nd scenario at whatever volume needed. Then there were digital modelers aimed at sounding like tube amps at all sorts of volume levels. Then there were people that still weren't happy with the buffet of options.

:beer
The pinnacle of transvestism is that we have modeled pedals that claim to emulate tube amplifiers that are already modeled in our modeler
Old Timey Baseball Conan Obrien GIF by Team Coco

The pinnacle of transvestism is that we have modeled pedals that claim to emulate tube amplifiers that are already modeled in our modeler
Old Timey Baseball Conan Obrien GIF by Team Coco

What's cuckoo is browsing ToneNet for DI captures and finding lots of them named for a famous tube amp but captured from a digital device.

Digitally capture a digital model of an analog amp so I can download it and transfer it to my digital box. :wat:wat:wat

Isn't the Boss SD-1 just a variation on a Tubescreamer? Like the Maxon OD808
and the 1,000 and 1 other TS variants?? :idk

Amps are all based off of a few popular and iconic platforms (Marshall, Vox, Fender).
Overdrive pedals are not dissimilar in that a few well-traveled circuits exist, and
then people modify them to try and create an entirely different thing. Like Italians
and Pasta. It's just Flour and Eggs in 10,000 different shapes. :LOL:

:chef

How many different OD topologies are there, to be honest?

I wonder if the Big Four might be Tubescreamer, Klon, Bluesbreaker... not to be confused with Blues Driver, and a Timmy. :idk

DOD 250 / Distortion+ is another iconic one that has been copied a million times. I might be inclined to call that the fourth member of the Big Four

I’d probably say:
Tubescreamer
Rat
Bluesbreaker
DOD 250

Last edited:
What's cuckoo is browsing ToneNet for DI captures and finding lots of them named for a famous tube amp but captured from a digital device.

Digitally capture a digital model of an analog amp so I can download it and transfer it to my digital box. :wat:wat:wat

If I were doomed to exile outside of the Fractal Heavenly Realm, down into the hells of captures and profiles, I would be craving for a capture of the FAS unique amplifiers.
Sad Michael J Fox GIF

Last edited:
Yeah, a Benson or 2 would be awesome. :love

Dr. Z Carmen Ghia is a killer amp in that vein, too.

You like the 2 x 6V6 thing as much? Like a Tone King Imperial? Lazy J? Suhr Hombre? Dr. Zed Z-28?? :idk

Yeah, I love the Ghia!

I used to not like 6V6 amps at all. They all seem to be too loose and tubby in the low end. But they’ve grown on me. I was surprised I actually liked the 6V6 setting better than the el84 on my JRT 9/15!

Tone King amps have always disappointed me when I’ve played through them. They don’t live up to the hype for me :confused:

Yeah, I love the Ghia!

I used to not like 6V6 amps at all. They all seem to be too loose and tubby in the low end. But they’ve grown on me. I was surprised I actually liked the 6V6 setting better than the el84 on my JRT 9/15!

Tone King amps have always disappointed me when I’ve played through them. They don’t live up to the hype for me :confused:

Have you played any Winfield's, Met?

I wonder how Cliff will Respond to NDSP update boasting the transpose which is by all accounts superior to virtual Capo and the sidechain gate
Which seems pretty nice
Time will tell

:guiness

Any rec on some FS toppers for the FC12? Im a barefoot house riffer. lol Probably want some clear ones to not block too much of the LED rings, which are awesome to customize colors for per switch.

I wonder how Cliff will Respond to NDSP update boasting the transpose which is by all accounts superior to virtual Capo and the sidechain gate
Which seems pretty nice
Time will tell

:guiness

Yeah I’ve not overly meshed with the virtual capo, but I was watching a G66 vid I think where LT did some sort of high cut in a block to eliminate some artifacts. Or maybe that was the whammy vid I was watching. (I have an unhealthy obsession with G66 vids lately and my list of cool stuff to try is growing beyond anything I’ll be able to try in this lifetime :ROFLMAO: )

Yeah I’ve not overly meshed with the virtual capo, but I was watching a G66 vid I think where LT did some sort of high cut in a block to eliminate some artifacts. Or maybe that was the whammy vid I was watching. (I have an unhealthy obsession with G66 vids lately and my list of cool stuff to try is growing beyond anything I’ll be able to try in this lifetime :ROFLMAO: )

I've written this elsewhere, but I think that for 5ths, 4ths, octaves, and single notes, you can get great results with the pitch shifting in the Axe-FX III by setting it to Fast with Tracking at 0, increasing the output of the block with every half step you decrease pitch, and very carefully adjust the block's built in low and high cuts. I can often get results that sound utterly natural that way. For anything harmonically complex I haven't found a good way to use it.

To get the most natural results, I create a separate patch just to set the Virtual Capo. I'll set it to be controlled with a momentary CS so that it shifts only while I hold down on the switch. Then, I've found it's easiest to compare palm muted power chords shifted and unshifted, tweaking the above listed parameters, until I can't hear any difference at all in pick attack, low end, or sizzle. For instance, if I'm setting it for half a step down, I'll palm mute power chord on the low E open, then engage the pitch shifter and play the same thing on the first fret. I go back and forth until they sound identical. Totally works for harmonically simplistic stuff.

Back