Fractal Talk

I've been thinking that it would be nice to have a FM3 but the used prices on Reverb, Guitar Center etc. do not make any sense, in my opinion better to buy it new from FAS and have the warranty and the 15 days return policy.

I bought my FM3 for $900, including shipping from Japan to Bangkok and Plexi-Glass magnet protectors.

From the For Sale section of the Fractal Audio forum. But I am afraid that just yesterday they announced that they close that section of the forum 🥺

Reactions: Elf

Dang the for sale section of FAS was usually great. Sad to see this happen

Weird.
Pretty sure all manufacturer forums have scamming issues yet this is the first time I've seen one do this.

I was talking about the poster on the FAS forum who won't upgrade their FM9 because they can't sell their old one on the forum. That's just a bit dramatic. And everyone knows the GAS will get the better of them anyway :idk
Oof yeah didnt see that. Thought you were mocking me 🤣

Dang the for sale section of FAS was usually great. Sad to see this happen

That stinks, especially since the Reverb FAS listings always seem crazy. Guess I’ll have to wait for the next 10% off sale for that FC12. (Or just grab my ankles and pay full price) :ROFLMAO:

A disclaimer that absolves the forum admins and owners of ALL responsibility for $$ interactions between members
is the easy way to address this. Maybe someone can appeal to FAS?

Hey @Whizzinby and @Mongillo19 I see an opportunity here: create a standalone Fractal marketplace board!

(y) ;)

It's getting bad out there folks. The cyber war is heating up big time. As someone who is involved in fighting this on the tech level, the amount of fraud, scams, hacks, and downright aggressiveness and ingenuity shown by these dirtbags is at a level never seen before. It costs $$ to mitigate these threats and that is not something a lot of companies are going to be able to, or want to invest in. More to come, be diligent, keep your information safe and don't share with strangers.

Ummm, I think this site has a classified section!
wink.gif

That pretty much sums up the Fractal Forum.

I wouldn't call it weird, just a little bit more reserved than a site like this one. Which is to be expected, it's the company site and as such reflects directly on Fractal Audio. The Kemper forum has a similar vibe to it. This site has more of an "open mic night" vibe to it, where everybody mostly knows each other and the atmosphere is relaxed enough that the occasional shenanigans don't really raise any eyebrows. The Marshall forum is about the same as this site. The Other Place is like a Starbucks in Portland.

I was just noting that is has been about a month since the most recent Axe III firmware. I thought Cliff might be taking a summer vacation.

Interesting, from FAS forum

The beta is going well. There are some bigger pieces moving behind the scenes that are going to result in another private beta before release. There may in fact be a public beta 2.

Usurp COR OS?

:farley
That certainly mean they are doing a lot of code rewriting to avoid bugs for future updates.
I’m not waiting new suprises, they certainly try to make updates portable to the fm3 less long

I think that's just expectation compared to what other manufacturers do.

First gen Axe-Fx would be miles ahead from those "1-2 row LCD" rack products that were common for a long time.

When the Helix released, I remember thinking it felt advanced compared to the Axe-Fx 2 I had.

Now Fractal, and Helix will feel dated to use compared to a QC, TMP or even Hotone Ampero.

By the time the next gen Fractal and Helix come out, they will (hopefully) make the current UI champs feel dated too.

In 2000, Steve Krug released a book called "Don't Make Me Think!" It is about how to make websites and forms more usable. A lot of the things outlined in the book are now standard practices in web design.

He talks about having a "reservoir of goodwill" every time you enter a website. This reservoir goes down the more you have to spend time trying to find the things you need. All those cookie/advertising modals, popup windows to register for a newsletter etc reduce your goodwill until you get fed up and go somewhere else.

Same can be applied to a digital modeler if it takes too much effort, learning and knowhow to do something. The less I need to think about it, the faster I can get results from my modeler of choice.

With something like the Quad Cortex, I feel I don't have to think too much when doing most common editing tasks - it's at most a few taps and knob twists away. TMP seems similar, just slower, so probably will appeal to new users even more. QC only gets complicated when managing e.g presets and captures, or figuring out the DSP paths and footswitch assignment stuff.

With Fractal I feel for common editing tasks, I need to think about things like:
  • What button do I need to press to get where I want to go next?
  • Ok, this new view looks totally different from the one before. Where am I? What will the big knob change if I turn it?
  • What do all these controls mean? Which ones are important? With amps in Authentic view it's straightforward, but not so much for many effects where even on the first page you have some controls you find on no pedals.
By comparison Axe-Edit avoids a lot of these issues because you can always see where you are, it's arranged in a more friendly manner, and the complication only starts to creep in when you start figuring out scenes and channels, or FC functions.

I don't feel like I need to think a whole lot using Axe-Edit, I think it's genuinely one of the best modeler computer editors.

Meme Scroll GIF by 2020 MTV Video Music Awards
Solution: Run Axe Edit on a Microsoft Surface. That's what I do and I rarely if ever use the editing on the unit itself.

Back