Fractal Talk

Couldn't get his clean tones bright and punchy for ages; but for the whole time was using a 4x12 cab with a metric fucktonne of proximity effect and mics up against the grille :LOL:
I do like using the same cab in a single preset as a rig, since it’s more representative of “the real world”. But that’s also why I use 2x12’s. I can get killer cleans from copying @2112 ‘s work with the Band Leader. Seriously the best clean amp on there, IMO.

Working on this 4CM patch.

IN1> blocks > Out3 to Front of Amp
Amp FX Send to IN4 > blocks > Out4 to Amp FX return

Questions/Issues
  • The second I go to my bridge pickup the Input 1 starts spiking into the red and shows the clipping alert on the front panel. In AxeEdit if I select the In1 block it looks like it’s only giving Gate options. If I go to setup, Input Levels there is one option for Input 1 Gain set to 1.00, but even if I reduce that it still clips. Where the hell do I reduce the Input 1 (guitar) level?
  • I’ve tried experimenting with adding amps into the loop (with power amp modeling off) but the second I turn on the amp block HOLY SHIT the volume gets goosed. Like twice the volume on my actual amp. (I almost shit myself) I have to go into the amp block and reduce the events like -35db. That seems weird and not normal. All my input and output blocks are at their default btw.

Working on this 4CM patch.

IN1> blocks > Out3 to Front of Amp
Amp FX Send to IN4 > blocks > Out4 to Amp FX return

Questions/Issues
  • The second I go to my bridge pickup the Input 1 starts spiking into the red and shows the clipping alert on the front panel. In AxeEdit if I select the In1 block it looks like it’s only giving Gate options. If I go to setup, Input Levels there is one option for Input 1 Gain set to 1.00, but even if I reduce that it still clips. Where the hell do I reduce the Input 1 (guitar) level?
  • I’ve tried experimenting with adding amps into the loop (with power amp modeling off) but the second I turn on the amp block HOLY SHIT the volume gets goosed. Like twice the volume on my actual amp. (I almost shit myself) I have to go into the amp block and reduce the events like -35db. That seems weird and not normal. All my input and output blocks are at their default btw.
Remember that on the hardware in the grid layout you have a view where you can see the input/output levels of each block. Maybe that will help you find the culprit.

Check on the hardware to find the menu with the A/D sensitivity, maybe that's what you need.

For the amp levels, figure out the input/output level settings. It might be that your amp expects instrument level.

How bout the ice cream cake rolls? Remember them? As a 16 yo cook, I used to steal slices of them from the walk-in. They were SO GOOD! :chef
Just don't get a job driving the delivery truck for cream cake rolls! I would imagine you could end up like the protagonist in this classic tale of desire gone wrong!!

I had an "incident" in the 90's where some friends of mine were opening for Iggy Pop. We were in the dressing room, and Iggy's manager came in and said he and the band had decided to go out to dinner rather than eat the catered meal that had been prepared for them at the venue, so they told us we could go upstairs and help ourselves. There were 3 giant woks with stri fry (veggie, beef and chicken) and a bunch of other stuff, but what drew my attention were those 3 delicious full cheesecakes! I think I had 7 or 8 slices of those delicious cheesecakes. Now that is not a problem in and of itself (well, in the ways I cared about in the 90's), but after the Iggy show, my friends had another gig an hour out of town. So after the Iggy stuff was over, we drove to the second venue. When it came time for them to play, I could not dance because I was so full and in pain from all those delicious cheesecakes!

Now the only question that remains in my head is, when do we get the cheesecake amp for the Fractal units?

The question is if it would really improve if touch UI was introduced.
Personally, I despise touch UIs for these stuff because they impose much of the same limitations that a mouse has (e.g. turning a digital knob with a mouse or on a touch screen are both horrible UX). I'd much rather have a good interface that is surrounded/accompanied by physical knobs. Like Kemper, except you know.. good looking :p

Also, and this is highly subjective, but I'd love for the authentic/ideal page to actually look like an amp, with all the controls the amp actually has. Example, Mesa Mark amps should have the GEQ there, instead of buried in another tab (unless this has changed recently?). But I know this type of interface is highly debated. I guess it could be an option.

And the biggest thing for me, is that I want the amp list to be a list of amps, rather than a list of amp channels (sometimes amp channels with specific modes engaged). Then have those modes/channels be switchable in the amp settings. This is however something that's not possible on current gen AFAIK, but post on Fractal forum seems to insinuate this *might* come in a next gen, which would be awesome IMO!
What about integrating the switches as knobs also like the Quad core and TMP did I mean that’s probably a great start

What about integrating the switches as knobs also like the Quad core and TMP did I mean that’s probably a great start
I don't think it's necessary. Knobs under the screen would serve the same purpose, but I do wish for better spacing than what the Helix or Axe-Fx has so they're not so cramped.

Plus you don't want to see like a "me too" product.

Remember that on the hardware in the grid layout you have a view where you can see the input/output levels of each block. Maybe that will help you find the culprit.

Check on the hardware to find the menu with the A/D sensitivity, maybe that's what you need.

For the amp levels, figure out the input/output level settings. It might be that your amp expects instrument level.

I’ll dig in, it might be useful to find that grid view with the I/O levels for each block. I have found the meters page which is useful.

The only thing I’ve found that will stop the guitar from clipping on the bridge pickup is going to Setup - IO - Input - and basically turning it close to all the way down for input 1. That just seems weird. The Ibby does have a hot pickup on the bridge, but I wouldn’t assume to the point that Input 1 has to be turned all the way down.

I have everything basically setup as the guide states for 4CM. I am curious where the Output 4 volume on the front panel should be. (Which feeds the Fx return to amp) It can drive the volume super high. It says you can dial to desired volume, (Whereas Out3 they say crank fully CW to hit unity gain, which is the output that hits the front of the amp) Curious just how much output I want to be giving the amp FX return on Out 4 though, it can add huge amount of volume.

I’ll dig in, it might be useful to find that grid view with the I/O levels for each block. I have found the meters page which is useful.

The only thing I’ve found that will stop the guitar from clipping on the bridge pickup is going to Setup - IO - Input - and basically turning it close to all the way down for input 1. That just seems weird. The Ibby does have a hot pickup on the bridge, but I wouldn’t assume to the point that Input 1 has to be turned all the way down.
Yeah that seems odd. Even with hot actives I haven't had to mess much with the input sensitivity.

I have everything basically setup as the guide states for 4CM. I am curious where the Output 4 volume on the front panel should be. (Which feeds the Fx return to amp) It can drive the volume super high. It says you can dial to desired volume, (Whereas Out3 they say crank fully CW to hit unity gain, which is the output that hits the front of the amp) Curious just how much output I want to be giving the amp FX return on Out 4 though, it can add huge amount of volume.
I think you might want to try the +4/-10 dB options for the outputs and just check what works best. As long as it doesn't clip, cause unwanted distortion and above all sounds good, no problem.

I found that for Out 3 going into the amp input I wanted to just crank the volume knob all the way up. But I was using it more like just pass the signal from the Out 3 to the amp rather than add any pedals on the way.

That is the correct way. When Fractal initially added that meter there were lots of discussions on their Forum with people thinking it was crazy they had to turn the Instrument Level down so low. But there's no downside to doing so. It seems strange but it's totally fine. Mine is at 4% or something.

@unix-guy

Last edited:
Slowly getting the levels right in 4CM. Everything seems to prefer to low input on the JC and I have the loop set to its lower setting so I can crank the Out4 on the Frac.

Any time I add a drive or amp (no power amp emu) it gooses the shit out the volume though, and I haven’t found the best way to limit the volume without affecting the modeled tone. But this is a JC so I’m not too worried turning it into a riffer.

Having it running to AxeEdit via a 15ft USB cable has made life way easier though. lol I’ve gotten considerably better at using the face controls on the unit having been forced to use it for a few days. “Look at me ma, I added a block, shunted it, tweaked it, then flipped my way over to the meter page”.

Al Pacino GIF by Ovation TV

Dang the for sale section of FAS was usually great. Sad to see this happen

I had success doing transactions through the forum. I also had multiple attempts to scam me through my post in the WTB section.

Ideally, it would be up to the individual to be responsible for themselves, but I can see where FAS may have deemed it to be too great of a legal liability to keep.

I don't think it's necessary. Knobs under the screen would serve the same purpose, but I do wish for better spacing than what the Helix or Axe-Fx has so they're not so cramped.

Plus you don't want to see like a "me too" product.

I think the QC and TMP is fine. I think however the main thing that makes that work is the spacing like laxu said.
Again, the Kemper is an excellent example of how the knob layout just works great. It's also dynamic and the knobs can change function based on the "page". Also, importantly, you can see the value of the knobs via the LED ring around the knobs. Very easy to see at a glance. Great UX.

Dang the for sale section of FAS was usually great. Sad to see this happen
TIL that the Fractal forum is literally the only place on the internet where you can sell Fractal gear. It's so sad that no one will be able to upgrade from now on. RIP Fractal

I've been thinking that it would be nice to have a FM3 but the used prices on Reverb, Guitar Center etc. do not make any sense, in my opinion better to buy it new from FAS and have the warranty and the 15 days return policy.

The FAS forum almost always had much better deals than anywhere else for used FAS gear. Don't be an asshat
I was talking about the poster on the FAS forum who won't upgrade their FM9 because they can't sell their old one on the forum. That's just a bit dramatic. And everyone knows the GAS will get the better of them anyway :idk

Back