Fractal Talk

I saw a couple of Henning’s vids without him playing before I ever heard him play, something about him rubbed me the wrong way. Then I saw his Vai interview vid and saw he was a Vai nerd just like I was, then I heard the dude play and realized he can certainly rip, my whole opinion of him changed. I just figured he was a “guitarist” Youtuber mouthpiece at first.

Dude cracks me up!

I saw a couple of Henning’s vids without him playing before I ever heard him play, something about him rubbed me the wrong way. Then I saw his Vai interview vid and saw he was a Vai nerd just like I was, then I heard the dude play and realized he can certainly rip, my whole opinion of him changed. I just figured he was a “guitarist” Youtuber mouthpiece at first.

Dude cracks me up!

He’s not just another wannabe who dresses funny and churns out videos. He’s a solid player who dresses funny and produces interesting and informative videos.

There in lies the only real weakness of the fractals. Picture the fm9 with a temp or qc interface And no one would fault it ever

In all my years using [almost] all the top tier modelers, once I started doing my tweaking at live / gig volume levels at home through my actual live rig, using the Fractal, Helix, Kemper, Boss etc.... PC Editors... I never ever have adjusted anything on a patch on the hardware unit live.

The Fractal, Helix, Kemper, Boss PC Editors are pretty much stupid-proof ... even by my stupid standards :)

The only adjustment I ever make on the hardware unit live is to set the Global EQ ..... and on all these units its is ridiculously quick and easy to access and set .... takes no more than 5 - 10 seconds or so to do and you're done.

Adjusting your actual patches during a gig always starts off disastrously and only ever gets worse as the night goes on.

Plus .... its a totally amateur hour look ..... and it screams "you've got no f$cking idea" how to use your own gear.

Ben

Adjusting your actual patches during a gig always starts off disastrously and only ever gets worse as the night goes on.

Plus .... its a totally amateur hour look ..... and it screams "you've got no f$cking idea" how to use your own gear.

Ben

Amen. In my younger days, I was in a cover band that did around 150 nights a year. If something sounded a little off, I simply ignored it and kept playing. I learned early on to not be precious about "my sound," because it really didn't matter all that much in the scope of why I was there-which was as one part of a group that was tasked with entertaining people and selling booze. It was about playing the songs they wanted to hear and playing them well, not about impressing the one guitar player in the audience with my haunting tone (always easy to spot-he was the one sulking in the corner with his arms crossed).

I actually couldn’t stand him at first, for some reason. I think maybe because I hadn’t acclimated to his “German-ness”. But yeah he’s awesome.
For many decades, Americans thought of Germans as either Nazis in uniforms or stereotypical Bavarians in traditional costumes, eating sauerkraut and drinking beer from "Bavarian Maß" mugs all day. Now they think we're all like Henning Pauly. It's getting worse and worse.
Just kidding. I actually like a lot of his content. And of course I like sauerkraut.

Last edited:
..... It was about playing the songs they wanted to hear and playing them well, not about impressing the one guitar player in the audience with my haunting tone (always easy to spot-he was the one sulking in the corner with his arms crossed).

^^ This !!

Ben

For many decades Americans thought of us Germans as either Nazis in uniform or stereotypical Bavarians in traditional costumes, eating Sauerkraut and drinking from „Bavarian Maß“ beer mugs all day. Now they think we‘re all like Henning Pauly. It‘s getting worse and worse.

Funny ..... I'm first gen Australian born from Italian parents and always thought that my wider Italian Aunts, Uncles, family, friends etc...... were the most stubborn and "never-wrong" people I ever knew of.

Then went went to Germany [ and other countries] for a Holiday .... had a blast in Germany and the people were absolutely lovely to us but f%ck me, they made my broader Italian family look like empathetic-self-reflecting-masters-of-objective-consciousness :)

Ben

For many decades, Americans thought of Germans as either Nazis in uniforms or stereotypical Bavarians in traditional costumes, eating sauerkraut and drinking beer from "Bavarian Maß" mugs all day. Now they think we're all like Henning Pauly. It's getting worse and worse.

I have a Spanish friend with similar personality and humor. So I feel like at home watching his videos :D

Eh, but how would you have that same level of depth? For example, the QC and TMP don’t even have channels. The TMP doesn’t even have scenes, does it? How is this shit “professional”?
You could literally translate most of the Axe-Edit user interface into a touchscreen version. Because that's pretty much what the QC UI is already, DSP management quirks aside. FracPad also shows that it can work, if you do some accommodating for touch UI.

TMP user interface would not work as is. It's not built for lots of parameters, models etc.

You could literally translate most of the Axe-Edit user interface into a touchscreen version. Because that's pretty much what the QC UI is already, DSP management quirks aside. FracPad also shows that it can work, if you do some accommodating for touch UI.

TMP user interface would not work as is. It's not built for lots of parameters, models etc.
Solid points. You are the UI guy! (I mean that in a complimentary, non-sarcastic way).

Couldn't get his clean tones bright and punchy for ages; but for the whole time was using a 4x12 cab with a metric fucktonne of proximity effect and mics up against the grill :LOL:

Best digital modeling decision I ever made was to stop using IRs and just use a guitar cabinet.
The newer 'speaker' options where you get to choose the cab, choose the mics, choose the positions, etc.
are a recipe for either option paralysis or creating a weak link that you end up using the amp to try and
compensate for in many cases.

F.A.T. !!!

The question is if it would really improve if touch UI was introduced.
Personally, I despise touch UIs for these stuff because they impose much of the same limitations that a mouse has (e.g. turning a digital knob with a mouse or on a touch screen are both horrible UX). I'd much rather have a good interface that is surrounded/accompanied by physical knobs. Like Kemper, except you know.. good looking :p

Also, and this is highly subjective, but I'd love for the authentic/ideal page to actually look like an amp, with all the controls the amp actually has. Example, Mesa Mark amps should have the GEQ there, instead of buried in another tab (unless this has changed recently?). But I know this type of interface is highly debated. I guess it could be an option.

And the biggest thing for me, is that I want the amp list to be a list of amps, rather than a list of amp channels (sometimes amp channels with specific modes engaged). Then have those modes/channels be switchable in the amp settings. This is however something that's not possible on current gen AFAIK, but post on Fractal forum seems to insinuate this *might* come in a next gen, which would be awesome IMO!

Best digital modeling decision I ever made was to stop using IRs and just use a guitar cabinet.
The newer 'speaker' options where you get to choose the cab, choose the mics, choose the positions, etc.
are a recipe for either option paralysis or creating a weak link that you end up using the amp to try and
compensate for in many cases.

F.A.T. !!!
Using the on-board Dyna-Cabs is quick and painless.....pick a cab and a mic, move the little blue dot around till it sounds good...done.
biggrin.gif

How many cab options?
Mic options?
Positions the blue dot can be placed in?

Not you obviously - but this is a recipe for option anxiety for many folks.
Imo it's easier than picking an IR. But I never had a staple IR necessarily so I may be the minority.

Honestly it's tame as far as fractal goes. Maybe 20 or 25 cabs, 4 mics?

I use Dyna-cabs from time to time as well as my old reliable(s). Really; the people that seem the most at home with their brand of choice's cab block update/refresh is the HX peeps. I see the most talk about those.

The QC was the first to kind of graphically build this out in a hardware box but if anything; everyone seems to still chat about sticking with their go to IRs in spite of how easy it is to use. Which is another head scratcher to the pile of why even bother with that thing.

Back