Fractal Talk

I recall channel switching being a bit trickier? You can do it as part of a scene, or as a MIDI signal (requiring you to do the absurd thing of patching the MIDI out jack of the III to the MIDI in jack of the III so that the III can send MIDI data to itself...).

I tend to find, for home use, that using multiple layouts with just one toggle function per switch a lot easier, and having a few switches with hold functions for changing layouts, activating/deactivating tuner, etc.
Channel switching is no different than other functions.

You can toggle, select by channel, increment or decrement...

I think you're confusing that with the ability to affect multiple blocks at the same time.

Channel switching is no different than other functions.

You can toggle, select by channel, increment or decrement...

I think you're confusing that with the ability to affect multiple blocks at the same time.

Unix, I’m slightly confused by the foot switch function guide (occasionally I try to read manual) which has both “second tap” “channel toggle” and “channel increment/decrement” effects functions. Toggle says you can toggle between two channels with a FS. Increment and Decrement just says you can scroll to the next channel. (I assume using the “Wrap” option to scroll through all four endlessly)

Anyway, what I’m trying to determine is if I have one foot switch assigned to one block, let’s say Flanger, and that block has four channel configured, is it possible to have a single tap turn it off and on, and to have some other gesture on that one foot switch (double tap or hold) that would allow me to scroll through all four channels of that particular block. (But only having that one foot switch dedicated to Flangers)

Me looking at a manual…

Book Monkey GIF by DevX Art

Unix, I’m slightly confused by the foot switch function guide (occasionally I try to read manual) which has both “second tap” “channel toggle” and “channel increment/decrement” effects functions. Toggle says you can toggle between two channels with a FS. Increment and Decrement just says you can scroll to the next channel. (I assume using the “Wrap” option to scroll through all four endlessly)

Anyway, what I’m trying to determine is if I have one foot switch assigned to one block, let’s say Flanger, and that block has four channel configured, is it possible to have a single tap turn it off and on, and to have some other gesture on that one foot switch (double tap or hold) that would allow me to scroll through all four channels of that particular block. (But only having that one foot switch dedicated to Flangers)

Me looking at a manual…

That is precisely how mine is set up. When in Axe Edit, FC window, select "effect" for the hold function. Below that it defaults to "bypass". Click on that to get the drop down for other functions, and you'll find the block channel options.

Me looking at a manual…

Yes, Tap and Hold for each switch. Both can perform whatever actions are assignable regardless of use with Tap or Hold.

Only a Momentary Control Switch cannot be assigned to a Hold, I think.

There's no double-tap, although there is 2nd Press for some functions.

I have my Scene Select switches set to be Last Scene for 2nd Press. A very cool capability.

Me looking at a manual…

Yes. On the desired switch, set the tap function to bypass (Flanger 1 in this case). Set the hold function to increment channel +1 (iirc).

Henning embraces the cult

This is a good video for anyone who has never seen a Fractal and is wondering how the experience would go.

They got some really good sounds with fairly minimal work, like good enough that you could take that simple preset with the scenes setup and play a gig with it. Can you get better sounds? Oh yeah, but just shows that you don't need to be an expert to get something that works out of these.

I think Henning makes a lot of great points about what you actually need, usability, personal responsibility etc.

Good job @GuitarJon for explaining things in a clear manner. But I have to shame you for not knowing the A-E doubleclick shortcuts to go quickly to common blocks!

Henning embraces the cult

8:10 Case candy? A t-shirt Chocolates? Vouchers for instructional courses? :love

Fractal Audio here in the states can’t even bother to replenish their merch stock. Been asking for Flex Fit hats for FIVE FRIKKEN YEARS! :pitchforks

Back