Fractal Talk

Don't forget the tap and hold to activate effect but then when you stop holding it turns off

Or is that what you are referring to 🤣

Ah, I thought the hold engaged a second option, not functioned as a temp effect. I was thinking more like tap turning on chorus channel A or a hold turning on chorus channel b.

FC24 for $7,326.00? :ROFLMAO:

In one instance we put the amp on a Hum X. In another: both. In the latter case I believe they later replaced them with a single Furman power conditioner unit in a rack.
I have one of these. Would that do the trick?

"The Furman AR-15 II Voltage Regulator Power Conditioner delivers a clean, constant flow of power while offering solutions to the many noise problems common to today's AC power supply. The Furman AR-15 II is the only regulator that filters and purifies AC power to reduce line noise and ensure optimum performance."

AR-15_II-eee38ff6c94f6cc0945fea73d44554c4.jpg

So I could have FS1 configured where a tap engages an SD1 and a hold engages an 808? And then another tap from there would disengage the 808?
Not exactly.

First off, when you have a FS configured to have a TAP function and also a HOLD function, the TAP 'fires' when you release the switch. The HOLD 'fires' once the 'hold timeout' has been reached (by default, 1/2 second.)

To ensure the TAP function happens, you need to release the switch prior to the 'hold timeout' being reached.

So the TAP will engage your SD1 (on the release), the HOLD will engage your 808 (after the timeout period), but another TAP I believe will disengage your SD1. But again, as long as you tap and release it before the 'hold timeout' period of time.

If you wanted to instead, disengage the 808, just hold the switch down, longer than the 'timeout.'

I'm pretty sure this is how the switches work, when set to do both.

Not exactly.

First off, when you have a FS configured to have a TAP function and also a HOLD function, the TAP 'fires' when you release the switch. The HOLD 'fires' once the 'hold timeout' has been reached (by default, 1/2 second.)

To ensure the TAP function happens, you need to release the switch prior to the 'hold timeout' being reached.

So the TAP will engage your SD1 (on the release), the HOLD will engage your 808 (after the timeout period), but another TAP I believe will disengage your SD1. But again, as long as you tap and release it before the 'hold timeout' period of time.

If you wanted to instead, disengage the 808, just hold the switch down, longer than the 'timeout.'

I'm pretty sure this is how the switches work, when set to do both.

I think I’m tracking. Maybe. So I can have a single switch control two FX, but I’d have to disengage both uniquely too. So tap fires the SD1. Hold fires the 808. Two drives running. Tap then disengages SD1. Hold then disengages 808.

But I thought I could only activate one channel per block. So if the SD1 is channel A and the 808 is channel B, it doesn’t disengage the previously selected channel inside that block?

I think I’m tracking. Maybe. So I can have a single switch control two FX, but I’d have to disengage both uniquely too. So tap fires the SD1. Hold fires the 808. Two drives running. Tap then disengages SD1. Hold then disengages 808.

But I thought I could only activate one channel per block. So if the SD1 is channel A and the 808 is channel B, it doesn’t disengage the previously selected channel inside that block?
Now you're getting past what I understand the manual is saying.

But..., one thing I do know about the FC, is it's highly customizable. I don't know how you'd assign the FS to deal with 2 different Drive types, on 2 different channels. Maybe the answer is to use TWO Drive blocks instead. Idk

And there may very well be a way to do what you want to do in your last sentence. What I'd do is post exactly what you want to do over at FAS. You know there's guys there that know this gear inside and out, and can find creative ways to do just about anything.

You know, there's also that 'Scene Ignore' function that leaves an effect in a bypass state, or something like that. Maybe that function could be worked into your plan.

Me, I'm the sort that likes to take 1 bite at a time, and gain a total comprehension of that first part, before digging deeper, so if I was setting out to start using my FC (which I STILL haven't even touched, LOL), I would just start with the manual, and the basics, and go from there.

IOW, I wouldn't just try to set something up to do a certain thing, a certain way, because it may turn out that there's a much easier way to do what you want, that's already designed into the way the FC's work.

Now you're getting past what I understand the manual is saying.

But..., one thing I do know about the FC, is it's highly customizable. I don't know how you'd assign the FS to deal with 2 different Drive types, on 2 different channels. Maybe the answer is to use TWO Drive blocks instead. Idk
I'm pretty sure you can assign the tap function to channel A and the hold function to channel B. The way I like to do it is to have the tap function engage or disengage the drive block and then I set the hold function to toggle between channels A and B. If you want more options you can set the hold function to increment through the block channels with wrapping turned on so you have access to all four channels of a block with the foot switch.

Lots of people rag on the Fractal UI but overlook the fact that the actual UI that matters for live use (the foot control) is amongst the best available.

The way I have my FC12 set up at the moment is tap to engage/bypass an effect, and hold to cycle through the channels for that particular block. I'm running this configuration for two drive blocks (I always run Drive 1 as an OD, and Drive two as a distortion pedal), a delay block, a trem block, and a reverb block. It takes a quick tap dance to "preset" the block channels I'm going to need, but I made it through an outdoor private party gig last weekend without any issues. But I run a pretty basic setup, and stayed on one preset for most of the gig.

You can also assign hold functions to trigger on "switch up" rather than the "hold timeout". I personally prefer this as I can press and hold the switch to trigger my lead scene a bar or two in advance and then release my foot in time with the start of the solo instead of relying on tapping it in time.

The way I have my FC12 set up at the moment is tap to engage/bypass an effect, and hold to cycle through the channels for that particular block. I'm running this configuration for two drive blocks (I always run Drive 1 as an OD, and Drive two as a distortion pedal), a delay block, a trem block, and a reverb block. It takes a quick tap dance to "preset" the block channels I'm going to need, but I made it through an outdoor private party gig last weekend without any issues. But I run a pretty basic setup, and stayed on one preset for most of the gig.

This might actually be even better than what I was envisioning. If you can use “hold” to cycle through the four channels, and tap is simply engaging and disengaging the block, that is actually more useful, and you can access way more fx.

Comp
Pitch 1
Drive 1
Drive 2
Flanger
Chorus
Tremolo
Pitch 2
Delay 1
Delay 2
Reverb 1
Reverb 2

With hold cycling through 4 channels in each block.

Surprise Wow GIF

This might actually be even better than what I was envisioning. If you can use “hold” to cycle through the four channels, and tap is simply engaging and disengaging the block, that is actually more useful, and you can access way more fx.
There's like nine ways to set each thing in the Fractal, and I'm sure one of those ways will be exactly what you need.
biggrin.gif

Back