Fractal Talk

Let’s talk FC12.

So, from what I gather each of the 12 foot switches can have a tap and tap/hold function.

So is it possible to just turn it into a 24 pedal (effect) board?

Ex.
FS 1 Tap Compressor 1
FS 1 Hold Compressor 2
FS 2 Tap Pitch 1
FS 2 Hold Pitch 2
FS 3 Tap Chorus 1
FS 3 Hold Chorus 2
FS 4 Tap Flanger 1
FS 4 Hold Flanger 2
FS 5 Tap Tremelo 1
FS 5 Hold Tremelo 2
FS 6 Tap Drive 1
FS 6 Hold Drive 2
FS 7 Tap Fuzz 1
FS 7 Hold Fuzz 2
FS 8 Tap Plex 1
FS 8 Hold Plex 2
FS 9 Tap Delay 1
FS 9 Hold Delay 2
FS 10 Tap Delay 3
FS 10 Hold Delay 4
FS 11 Tap Reverb 1
FS 11 Hold Reverb 2
FS 12 Tap Reverb 3
FS 12 Hold Reverb 4

Episode 7 Wow GIF by Wrexham AFC
Times 8 layouts...

The FC12 is genuinely one of the best controllers for a modeller out there. Sets the bar IMO. But isn't quite as easy to configure as Helix.
It's way too expensive for what it is, and heavy. It doesn't need to be that heavy to stay in place. Those are my only complaints.

For actually configuring it, the Fractal system is very flexible but not always intuitive, and certainly requires a good bit of personal work to get it to your liking, and figure out how you want to switch layers. But that's also it's strength, you don't need to settle for the manufacturer's idea of what the footswitches do.

I recommend making good use of the per-preset footswitch functionality. Instead of trying to figure out some perfect "this toggles my chorus and this toggles my delay" system, just use per preset f.sw to do those type of things based on what is configured in your preset.

PS. The Mooer clear switch toppers go great with the FC controllers if you want more comfy button presses.

PS. The Mooer clear switch toppers go great with the FC controllers if you want more comfy button presses.
I love the Mooer toppers on my FC12. I use the clear "shrooms" along the bottom row and the clear "candy" tops along the top row. Reason being, the lower row I want the angle of the shroom head to be able to hit it more easily and from more angles. The top row, with the candy tops are more difficult to accidentally hit because they don't have that sloping surface like the shrooms. You have to come at them really from the top. Great stuff though, I love the way they diffuse the light from the FC12 switch LEDs. I do wish they were a bit softer though as I play bare foot 99% of the time. Still way better than the raw switches on my bare feet ;~)) I know there are softer ones out there too, but the ones I have seen are not as clear.

Why do people use those footswitch toppers? Apart from stopping the capacitance switches working on helix I don't get the point of them tbh.

Why do people use those footswitch toppers? Apart from stopping the capacitance switches working on helix I don't get the point of them tbh.
I just like how they feel, especially at home when I don't have shoes on. Gives you a bigger target for hitting the footswitches and the actual hit feels more comfortable because it's spread over a larger surface.

Plus you can color coordinate them with your pedals! I found some metallic footswitch toppers in Japan that fit the smaller switches on my SA Collider and match the green and gold colors of the delay and reverb side. #pedalfashionista

On Helix if you want to use these, you'd want metallic ones without rubber inside so it's still capacitive. Would get pretty expensive to do all the footswitches though and might make the footswitch color LEDs impossible to see...

Feels horrible with bare feet or socks. But easier to hit, even with shoes. Pressing heel-toe on two switches at once is also very hard without shoes.

This might actually be even better than what I was envisioning. If you can use “hold” to cycle through the four channels, and tap is simply engaging and disengaging the block, that is actually more useful, and you can access way more fx.

Comp
Pitch 1
Drive 1
Drive 2
Flanger
Chorus
Tremolo
Pitch 2
Delay 1
Delay 2
Reverb 1
Reverb 2

With hold cycling through 4 channels in each block.

Surprise Wow GIF
I recall channel switching being a bit trickier? You can do it as part of a scene, or as a MIDI signal (requiring you to do the absurd thing of patching the MIDI out jack of the III to the MIDI in jack of the III so that the III can send MIDI data to itself...).

I tend to find, for home use, that using multiple layouts with just one toggle function per switch a lot easier, and having a few switches with hold functions for changing layouts, activating/deactivating tuner, etc.

Back