Fractal Talk

I think I’m going to break down and try the AxeFx in 4CM with the JC, as an FX unit. I’ve tried hard to not cross streams but the curiosity is getting the better of me. Have you guys run into any issues with this? (latency, leveling etc)

View attachment 25362

So after some RTFM, couple questions:
  • Im assuming the changing the input mode to Left Only step is telling the AXE it’s a mono signal from the amps FX send correct?
  • I’m going to run the Output 4 in stereo since the JC has a stereo loop, so connecting Output 4L&R. Is there anything I need to do in the Axe Edit signal path to make it run in true stereo or will it by default?
Always worked great for me following the instructions! I enjoyed the post effects more so than pre when it came to fractal 4cm.

Don't sell your physical pedals regardless! 😀

Don't sell your physical pedals regardless! 😀

Yeah, I want to see how it stacks up in “real life” vs my pedals with an actual amp. In digital-daw-monitors land the Axe is a f’ing monster powerhouse of an FX unit. :ROFLMAO:

I’m not sure what I hope the outcome is. lol

guitar > A/D converter > box > D/A converter > amp
amp loop send > A/D converter > box > D/A converter > amp loop return

:barf

:LOL:
If you have two digital pedals on your board (delay, reverb...) the number of A/D > D/A cycles are the same. Plus, the Axe-FX is using very high quality converters. I doubt many pedals have converters that are comparably good.

Yeah, my DMM+Blackhole preset running into the JC120 with its onboard chorus on might be the best thing I’ve ever heard. :ROFLMAO:

Julie Andrews Spinning GIF by The Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization

JFC Fractal is the worst gear buzzkill ever.

IMG_5025.jpeg

I need to adjust the Input 4 level down, it gets cooking when I go to the Rat scene, but I’m lowkey afraid to touch the front panel. :ROFLMAO: Might need to get a 15ft USB cable to run Axe Edit. lol

Side question, how do you run only the preamp in the amp block? I got the JC for ambient cleans, but might be cool to experiment with a gained up preamp to see how brootz I can make one scene. The Rat into it is kinda cool on its own though, just need to tweak it, but again Front Panel Paranoia.

Yeah, my DMM+Blackhole preset running into the JC120 with its onboard chorus on might be the best thing I’ve ever heard. :ROFLMAO:

Julie Andrews Spinning GIF by The Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization

JFC Fractal is the worst gear buzzkill ever.

View attachment 25372

I need to adjust the Input 4 level down, it gets cooking when I go to the Rat scene, but I’m lowkey afraid to touch the front panel. :ROFLMAO: Might need to get a 15ft USB cable to run Axe Edit. lol

Side question, how do you run only the preamp in the amp block? I got the JC for ambient cleans, but might be cool to experiment with a gained up preamp to see how brootz I can make one scene. The Rat into it is kinda cool on its own though, just need to tweak it, but again Front Panel Paranoia.
The FM9 is the ultimate 4cm machine (in fractal land)

The FM9 is the ultimate 4cm machine (in fractal land)

I’ve already started pondering the FC12, despite it costing $3,275.

Analog up front; digital in the loop. Always.

:unsure: Might need to try that. guitar > comp > pog > fuzz > OD > Axe input. Then whatever other modulation I want can just come from the Axe before the front of the amp. :idk

FAS buzzkill is because the thing sounds so damn good on its own.

Yeah, you know the shit is awesome when you pluck and note and then start smiling. :ROFLMAO: If my wife walked in she would have seen this:

Willem Dafoe Smile GIF

Then done this

Red Wine Ugh GIF by Married At First Sight

Yeah that’s my fear.
It's unfounded. Latency won't be an issue if it already isn't an issue for you using the AFIII standalone.

Hum has been the most prevalent problem I've encountered working with people who run 4CM rigs. Most of the time it's easily solved with Hum Buster cables. A handful of times we also had to incorporate Ebtech Hum X plugs on the amp the AFIII.

guitar > A/D converter > box > D/A converter > amp
amp loop send > A/D converter > box > D/A converter > amp loop return

:barf

:LOL:

Not everyone can be helped in Life, though. :idk

:rofl

I have watched my Buddy 4CM in various configs over the years and waste
countless hours chasing hums and switch up the routing of FX on his Helix,
while I quietly masturbated in the corner to kill the time.

I think 4CM is fine alone in your own house.... but don't be sharing that shit
in public. :hmm

(I keed. Mostly!) :beer

It's unfounded. Latency won't be an issue if it already isn't an issue for you using the AFIII standalone.

Hum has been the most prevalent problem I've encountered working with people who run 4CM rigs. Most of the time it's easily solved with Hum Buster cables. A handful of times we also had to incorporate Ebtech Hum X plugs on the amp the AFIII.

Yeah, I don’t notice any issues with latency tbh.

And really I don’t notice much noise either. There might be some slightly underlying it, but not any more than I would expect using an amp. Granted I am running the Axe directly into a line conditioner, which can’t hurt.

Last edited:
Fortunately, I haven’t run into any hum/noise going 4CM with my III or FM9 a single time yet. I’m sure it’ll happen at some point when I hit some dirty power, but the clarity involved in that whole setup is just ridiculous.

I know in AxeEdit there’s an option in the amp block to turn power amp/cab modeling off. I’d imagine there’s one in the main Setup menu as well.

Let’s talk FC12.

So, from what I gather each of the 12 foot switches can have a tap and tap/hold function.

So is it possible to just turn it into a 24 pedal (effect) board?

Ex.
FS 1 Tap Compressor 1
FS 1 Hold Compressor 2
FS 2 Tap Pitch 1
FS 2 Hold Pitch 2
FS 3 Tap Chorus 1
FS 3 Hold Chorus 2
FS 4 Tap Flanger 1
FS 4 Hold Flanger 2
FS 5 Tap Tremelo 1
FS 5 Hold Tremelo 2
FS 6 Tap Drive 1
FS 6 Hold Drive 2
FS 7 Tap Fuzz 1
FS 7 Hold Fuzz 2
FS 8 Tap Plex 1
FS 8 Hold Plex 2
FS 9 Tap Delay 1
FS 9 Hold Delay 2
FS 10 Tap Delay 3
FS 10 Hold Delay 4
FS 11 Tap Reverb 1
FS 11 Hold Reverb 2
FS 12 Tap Reverb 3
FS 12 Hold Reverb 4

Episode 7 Wow GIF by Wrexham AFC

Let’s talk FC12.

So, from what I gather each of the 12 foot switches can have a tap and tap/hold function.

So is it possible to just turn it into a 24 pedal (effect) board?

Ex.
FS 1 Tap Compressor 1
FS 1 Hold Compressor 2
FS 2 Tap Pitch 1
FS 2 Hold Pitch 2
FS 3 Tap Chorus 1
FS 3 Hold Chorus 2
FS 4 Tap Flanger 1
FS 4 Hold Flanger 2
FS 5 Tap Tremelo 1
FS 5 Hold Tremelo 2
FS 6 Tap Drive 1
FS 6 Hold Drive 2
FS 7 Tap Fuzz 1
FS 7 Hold Fuzz 2
FS 8 Tap Plex 1
FS 8 Hold Plex 2
FS 9 Tap Delay 1
FS 9 Hold Delay 2
FS 10 Tap Delay 3
FS 10 Hold Delay 4
FS 11 Tap Reverb 1
FS 11 Hold Reverb 2
FS 12 Tap Reverb 3
FS 12 Hold Reverb 4

Episode 7 Wow GIF by Wrexham AFC
Don't forget the tap and hold to activate effect but then when you stop holding it turns off

Or is that what you are referring to 🤣

Back