Fractal Talk

Spend a couple of hours tweaking the Cab-Lab 4 packs that I have purchased. Find a "eureka" tone. Load the IR to the Axe-FX. Play with joy for a while. Compare it with my old Dyna-Cab settings... Just to find that that the result is almost identical to what I already had using the Axe-FX internal Dyna-Cabs and mics
:columbo
Tired Tv Land GIF by TV Land Classic

From my perspective, you only need a handful of IRs that you like. Having more options becomes unproductive from a musical perspective.

Its still fun to try new stuff.

This is true, but was just curious as to why only 4 Mic's

:idk

At first Cliff was only adding three mics, the 57, 1973, and 121. I like to think I was the one who convinced him to add the SM7B! I assume it all has to do with little left over storage, but I have no idea.

I love many things about Cab Lab, but the best thing to me about using the firmware DynaCabs for me is the ability to tweak mic placement on the fly and save the result, rather than going through the IR export / import process. Of course I'd love more mics in the unit, but that kind of fast tweaking is so much better for me than using Cab Lab. I still want to buy the new Stealth pack though!

I get more instant satisfaction micro-shaping my tone through the CAB Preamp (Preamp types, Drive, Saturation and Tone Controls) than spiraling the microphone 360° around the speaker and the extra microphones on Cab-Lab 4.

I'm craving for another pack, though: The Metro Blues. I am waiting for them to put it on sale :grin
Black Friday Christmas GIF by Target

Last edited:
This is the Helix offering in their Version of Movable microphones
View attachment 25146

:idk
Knowing nothing about Helix, are those mic models like what Axe Fx II had 12 years ago or are the IRs actually captured with those mics, which is what DynaCabs are.

I suspect it's the former since the screenshot says "mic models" and "models".

That's really mostly just EQ, I suspect...

Knowing nothing about Helix, are those mic models like what Axe Fx II had 12 years ago or are the IRs actually captured with those mics, which is what DynaCabs are.

Pretty sure Line 6 reshot all their cabs with the mics in question. I remember seeing video shots of their robot rig at the time.

Nah, there was a big update a couple years with firmware 3.5 they revamped the cab block to being based on actual IRs captured with the mic rather than the previous mic-model-overlay type approach. My understanding, however, is that there is still some manipulation of that underlying data with respect to mic position - that the number of IRs captured is not anywhere close to 1:1 resolution with respect to available mic positions, and so there is some extrapolation between measured data points to get the “cab model” at most mic positions, where the big news with dynacab is that there are a gazillion IRs for each mic/cab combo giving excellent mic position resolution for actual measured IRs of each combo.

Fwiw, tye 3.5 cab update was huge, and in combo with the increased oversamoling update went a loooooooong way to making the sonic differences between fractal and helix core amp tones, to my crappy ears, really small (where Helix starts with a decent amp, which isn’t at all always the case *coughs who-bought-their-Marshall-amps coughs*

Nah, there was a big update a couple years with firmware 3.5 they revamped the cab block to being based on actual IRs captured with the mic rather than the previous mic-model-overlay type approach.
Here's a post from Eric giving a little more information on this subject.
No idea how many IRs Fractal is using per cab, but we spent a lot of time doing critical listening tests to ensure there was no way a user could tell whether they were listening to a combination of values that resulted in a raw IR vs. interpolation. In fact, back when it was taking 55 minutes to update to 3.50, we decided to find the ideal number of IRs that would still ensure interpolation resulted in zero negative impact on the sound. We still had to provide thousands of IRs per cab and many tens of thousands of IRs total, but IIRC, it was roughly half of the number of IRs we started with (which is why updating to 3.50 takes about 25-30 minutes instead). Our take is that there was no way to get the same granularity and experience of meticulously moving a studio locker's worth of mics around a cabinet without some interpolation... unless we provided millions of IRs, which wouldn't result in any noticeable sonic advantage anyway.

If our level of interpolation were noticeable, someone would be able to turn Helix's knobs and say "Oh, this is a raw IR. Oh, this is interpolation." They can't.

Conversely, at least one competitor (not mentioned in this thread) interpolates between four IRs per cab. At that level, yes, you can totally tell.

Still, we have all the raw data from our past (and future) cab shooting sessions, including mics not used, mic pres not used, and much longer IR lengths at higher sample rates/bit depths not supported, just to ensure they're relatively future proof. And yes, we also built custom software for our mic robots.

I keep Helix Control on my keyboard controller specifically to speed up editing, even when using HX Edit.

Brit Floyd's Edo Scordo Division Bell presets. Link to download at the video description.

Time to bring the Strat with DG20 out of the box

Edit: it only includes the "Keep Talking" preset

So many clean sounds he has dialed in for just a position 1 or 5 pickup -- all these years I've been trying to cop those tones in a 2 or 4 position. Amazing to watch him play that stuff as much as it is to hear it.

Back