Fractal Talk

One of the few rock tones I really liked was Jerry Cantrell on Dirt by Alice in Chains but apparently he used three amps:

"According to Jerden, the three amps were as follows: “Lows: Bogner Fish preamp/VHT amp/Marshall Cab with Vox bulldog speakers; mids: Bogner Ecstasy; highs: Rockman Pocket amp direct"

There's a bunch of amps on that album, he was also using the 5150's Ed gave him, Dual Recs and I'm sure the Bogner Snorkler is on there as I believe Ronnie Champagne worked on that album, too. @PLX probably knows off the top of his head.

There's a bunch of amps on that album, he was also using the 5150's Ed gave him, Dual Recs and I'm sure the Bogner Snorkler is on there as I believe Ronnie Champagne worked on that album, too. @PLX probably knows off the top of his head.
I've read various tales about what was used on that..

Supposedly, teh Snorkler was only used for some of the solos on "Facelift".

Jerry was real big on blending amps in the studio, quad-tracking guitars, etc..

teh Snorkler

1720537218257.png

I loved this with Brian, Time stamped

I also recall Rick Beato saying he got scared when he first heard the beginning of them bones lol

Thanks for posting that, great clip!

I remember reading at the time of the album's release that Jerry used three amps and Bogner was mentioned. I don't remember the other two.

Dave Jerden, who I quoted regarding the gear, was the album's producer so I assume he'd know what was used. Still that doesn't mean that other gear wasn't used as well.

Thanks for all of the information about Cantrell's gear and how he tracked his parts. As I said, the Them Bones guitar tone is one of my favorites, right up there with Mississippi Queen.

Thing is I dont believe you need 3 amps, Rocco gets it spot on with 1 Amp dont know which though
when I get my Drop c Guitar i will be covering that song, its just so fucking heavy
I believe that @2112 can give more insight since hes on this cover which is absolutely Killer

Last edited:
Thing is I dont believe you need 3 amps, Rocco gets it spot on with 1 Amp dont know which though
when I get my Drop c Guitar i will covering that song its just so fucking heavy
I believe that @2112 can give more insight since hes on this cover which is absolutely Killer

Rocco almost always uses a Friedman BE100 for those tones. The only IR I remember him using by name is the ML Sound Lab Mars Hair Metal can pack.

That being said, he is a tone is in the fingers kinda guy. I've used his exact patches when he would post them on the Fractal forum and I.... didn't sound like him.

Rocco almost always uses a Friedman BE100 for those tones. The only IR I remember him using by name is the ML Sound Lab Mars Hair Metal can pack.

That being said, he is a tone is in the fingers kinda guy. I've used his exact patches when he would post them on the Fractal forum and I.... didn't sound like him.
They rarely do, patches are Just base building blocks rest is up to you

That cover sounds great, but if ya listen to the original isolated guitar tracks, you can hear a cleaner guitar in the right channel that's adding some 'clank' that gets it standing out a bit.
Still it's amazing that he got that tone that's so close to the original out of one amp instead of using three like Cantrell. You'd have to listen to the isolated tracks to really hear that difference unless you were doing a direct A/B comparison.

Also, great solo work by Leon. Killing it once again.

All in all the best cover of AIC I've ever heard.

Still it's amazing that he got that tone that's so close to the original out of one amp instead of using three like Cantrell. You'd have to listen to the isolated tracks to really hear that difference unless you were doing a direct A/B comparison.

Also, great solo work by Leon. Killing it once again.

All in all the best cover of AIC I've ever heard.
Singer nailed it as well :chef

Well here's one thing i wonder about with all the option choices in the Fractal Ecosystem
Why is there such a low amount of Microphone choices??
I'm sure we would not need 25 choices but at least a few more different brand and type
Dynacabs offer what 4 mics?
Can we get a few more mics I mean we have what over 300 amps

:idk

Well here's one thing i wonder about with all the option choices in the Fractal Ecosystem
Why is there such a low amount of Microphone choices??
I'm sure we would not need 25 choices but at least a few more different brand and type
Dynacabs offer what 4 mics?
Can we get a few more mics I mean we have what over 300 amps

:idk
Just a guess, but I doubt there's a lot of space to beef up the Dyna-Cabs. My guess is that it was shoe-horned in like the user cabs were on Gen 1.

Back