Fractal Talk

I wouldn’t say I’m a fan of Satriani or his tones, but all the gear he’s associated with has been pretty great. It’s sort of how I feel about EVH too
Before you get bashed for including evh. lol. I'll say that the f.u.c.k tone is the only sound ive ever really chased. Turns out it was the eventide and not even the amp tone. Guitar playing impresses me. Tone not so much

tone for days
1720550653704.png

Last edited:
Instrumental rock tones never interest me that much just because they aren’t that relevant to me. They are the vocal essentially, so they’re always given the big spotlight in the mix and since you are going to be listening to them for a long time they have to be really smooth. Put that in a typical rock or pop context and no one will here it in a full mix where it isn’t the star.

Plus, the playing of those guys usually mesmerizes me so much I hardly notice the tone.

Yesterday I was workshopping some new sounds in the FM9 and tested them against some loop tracks, I had a solo tone that was dialed in ala Satch because I wanted to see if it hung in there better than I thought it would - nope it just got buried in the mix. Since he’s having a moment in guitar gear land I wanted to revisit that dark, smooth thing to see if I could make it work. I just can’t without adding tons of volume which isn’t really a good option with the PA. Went right back to sounds that are not fun on their own but they sit right in a band mix.

Maybe one day I’ll make a few presets that are meant for enjoyable solo playing at home. I’ve said that for a few years and never done it, so I’ll probably just keep rolling my tone control back to 3-4 to rein it in when playing alone…

D

Serious question: Do people consider Joe Satriani to have tones worth envying? I have the majority of his albums and he was my favorite guitarist for many years when I was into guitar instrumental rock music (not a sub-genre that I spend much time listening to these days). I like his sense of melody and his technical ability on the instrument, but never though to chase his tones.

The red album has some really choice tones.

One of the few rock tones I really liked was Jerry Cantrell on Dirt by Alice in Chains but apparently he used three amps:

"According to Jerden, the three amps were as follows: “Lows: Bogner Fish preamp/VHT amp/Marshall Cab with Vox bulldog speakers; mids: Bogner Ecstasy; highs: Rockman Pocket amp direct"

Fucking clueless. Along the same lines as Vai and his latency.
I didn't take it that way. I thought Fractal had great effects? Vai uses/used it the same. Those guys have been playing tube amps live for 50 yrs (successfully), why would they suddenly change over to full modeling when they get what they want out of an amp?

Serious question: Do people consider Joe Satriani to have tones worth envying? I have the majority of his albums and he was my favorite guitarist for many years when I was into guitar instrumental rock music (not a sub-genre that I spend much time listening to these days). I like his sense of melody and his technical ability on the instrument, but never though to chase his tones.

I love his live tone on Dreaming #11, but in general I haven't cared about his tones. What I do care about is his creativity, his emotional writing, and his emotive playing.

I love his live tone on Dreaming #11, but in general I haven't cared about his tones. What I do care about is his creativity, his emotional writing, and his emotive playing.
Yep, Dreaming #11 is great. His tones on Extremist are some of my favorites. Same goes for Time Machine (studio tracks) and Crystal Planet.
But I can't deny the tones he gets on Surfing and Flying are cool too. They just work with the songs.

Keep in mind that, especially on the early albums, Satch was specifically not going for guitar tones that were "traditional".

Later on when he started going a bit more bluesy on some songs he did start moving more into that space.

He has used various gear of various quality over the years, including a track recorded on a Zoom device.

His tone works for him.

Back