Fractal Talk

Class AB amps use a push-pull arrangement for the power section. The phase inverter is typically something like a 12AX7 tube which allows the preamp output to be split into two opposite phases to feed 2 halves of the power section. One side on the 12AX7 drives an inverted phase to feed one half of the power tubes and the other side of the 12 AX7 sends an uninverted phase to the other half of the power tubes. Or something.
You lost me at 'class.'

Thing is every improvement is small but its the accumulation of all the algorithm combined that make
The toanz so awesome

These updates do have an awesome cumulative effect of the shit just sounding great with minimal knob turning. I played for a couple hours today (not even the latest FW) and threw a preset together in minutes without having to do too much other than tweak a couple mix settings, and a quick tone stack move, but for as crazy as you can get on these devices, you sort of don’t have to.

These updates do have an awesome cumulative effect of the shit just sounding great with minimal knob turning. I played for a couple hours today (not even the latest FW) and threw a preset together in minutes without having to do too much other than tweak a couple mix settings, and a quick tone stack move, but for as crazy as you can get on these devices, you sort of don’t have to.
Thats the beauty minimal tweaking or tweak deep, totally up to the user

New rant: I'm having trouble getting a good sounding kitchen-sink Tucana preset. Lemme 'splain, Lucy.

I had an AX8 a few years ago until it developed issues, anyway I LOVED the Tucana models, I based most of my presets on them, they sounded SO good.

Now with both the 3T and 9 I just cannot seem to get a good sounding Tucana kitchen sink (clean/crunch/solo) preset, at least to my ears. They always sound kinda, well, doinky doinky. Greatly disappointed.

I tried making them from scratch and also used Austin Buddy's presets as a starting point, but no soap. OTOH, I loaded one of the AB Fuchs presets and bang! zoom! off to the races, came up with a good kitchen sink preset right away. FWIW I also tried that Chris Baleford GOT #4 Tucana scenes and they didn't sound very good to me.

Thanks for listening. Haven't given up yet but am stumped.

EDIT I worked with the AB Fuchs ODS PAB preset and it came out stellar, very pleased with it, used it last night at rehearsal, it kicked the RF Dumble ODS patch I was using to the curb. Myabr I'll go back to the Tuc at some point, the AX8 model sounded like Marshall meets Dumble, kinda like my old Rivera Jake Studio amp drive channel, which IMHO is phenomenal.

Last edited:
What the hell is a phase inverter?
Oh No Wtf GIF by CBC
Face Off Movie GIF

I'm getting all twitchy thinking about what Fractal Gen 4 will be like. I feel like something might be brewing. But I said that like a year ago too soooo.... 🤷🏾‍♂️

Serious question: Do people consider Joe Satriani to have tones worth envying? I have the majority of his albums and he was my favorite guitarist for many years when I was into guitar instrumental rock music (not a sub-genre that I spend much time listening to these days). I like his sense of melody and his technical ability on the instrument, but never though to chase his tones.

Serious question: Do people consider Joe Satriani to have tones worth envying? I have the majority of his albums and he was my favorite guitarist for many years when I was into guitar instrumental rock music (not a sub-genre that I spend much time listening to these days). I like his sense of melody and his technical ability on the instrument, but never though to chase his tones.
IMO his new 3rd Power dragons sound great in the clips I have heard much better than some of his other tones

His playing is great, but tones are just fine I guess? I've never wanted to chase his tone.

Serious question: Do people consider Joe Satriani to have tones worth envying? I have the majority of his albums and he was my favorite guitarist for many years when I was into guitar instrumental rock music (not a sub-genre that I spend much time listening to these days). I like his sense of melody and his technical ability on the instrument, but never thought to chase his tones.
I wouldn’t say I’m a fan of Satriani or his tones, but all the gear he’s associated with has been pretty great. It’s sort of how I feel about EVH too

Back