Fractal Talk

Posting this here as I think its a great [ short ! ] video from Jason S. re: dialing in a Helix tone which i think is also %100 applicable and translatable to dialling in, say, an FM3 or similar.

I am *not* in any way affiliated or directly or indirectly connected with Jason in any way shape or form .... I just thought this video would be really helpful for anyone having a bit of initial tweaking paralysis on an FM3.

I think it covers some really important basics *very* quickly and is, in practice, platform-transferrable.

Dont like it / think its spot on / think its sh$t / ignore it .... its all good .... take it for what you will.

From my personal perspective over the years, with Fractal / Kemper / Helix / Boss / Tonex ..... regardless of my usage platform, I have picked up, learned and applied. a stack of ideas and tweaks across all the different forums.

Ben

Last edited:
It's HOFA IQ analyzer set to high resolution. If I understand the manual correctly it's closer to 600 cents. It's the only program that I know of that I can just drag drop wav files into and it correlates the frequency response of the file into graphical form.

Posting this here as I think its a great [ short ! ] video from Jason S. re: dialing in a Helix tone which i think is also %100 applicable and translatable to dialling in, say, an FM3 or similar.

I am *not* in any way affiliated or directly or indirectly connected with Jason in any way shape or form .... I just thought this video would be really helpful for anyone having a bit of initial tweaking paralysis on an FM3.

I think it covers some really important basics *very* quickly and is, in practice, platform-transferrable.

Dont like it / think its spot on / think its sh$t / ignore it .... its all good .... take it for what you will.

From my personal perspective over the years, with Fractal / Kemper / Helix / Boss / Tonex ..... regardless of my usage platform, I have picked up, learned and applied. a stack of ideas and tweaks across all the different forums.

Ben

Step 1: Pick an amp. I can’t tell you which one to pick. Its very personal.

Step 2: pick a cab. Scroll through until you find what you like.

Step 3: pick a mic. Again, this is personal. Tweak until you find what you like.

Step “I’m going to pretend this isn’t a step”: tweak the amp settings to get the sound you want.

Step 4-but-it’s-really-5: add an eq block and adjust to taste.

I’m not picking on Jason here, but everyone who has ever tried to help people “quickly” get good tones forgets that the thing that allows them to avoid tweaking now is all the tweaking they’ve done before. Getting a good tone out of these boxes is really easy when you’ve been using these boxes and/or ALL of the real-world gear they model for a good while. Because you know what amp to pick, what cabs to consider, and what mics to consider. If you haven’t used these boxes or real world equivalent gear, then this “simple” 4 step process turns into a “scroll through all the amps to find one you’re looking for; then scroll through all the cabs until you find what works”. I.e., hours of tweaking. Which is to say that the way to avoid tweaking is to spend enough time tweaking to arrive at the set of amp/cab/mic combos you know you like so you can go straight to them.

The fastest way to do math problems quickly is to spend 12 years doing enough math that you are really fast at doing math.

I.e., there are no shortcuts.

Last edited:
Sherlock Holmes Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

Step 3: pick a mic. Again, this is personal. Tweak until you find what you like.

Step “I’m going to pretend this isn’t a step”: tweak the amp settings to get the sound you want.

I’m not picking on Jason here, but everyone who has ever tried to help people “quickly” get good tones forgets that the thing that allows them to avoid tweaking now is all the tweaking they’ve done before. Getting a good tone out of these boxes is really easy when you’ve been using these boxes and/or ALL of the real-world gear they model for a good while. Because you know what amp to pick, what cabs to consider, and what mics to consider. If you haven’t used these boxes or real world equivalent gear, then this “simple” 4 step process turns into a “scroll through all the amps to find one you’re looking for; then scroll through all the cabs until you find what works”. I.e., hours of tweaking. Which is to say that the way to avoid tweaking is to spend enough time tweaking to arrive at the set of amp/cab/mic combos you know you like so you can go straight to them.

The fastest way to do math problems quickly is to spend 12 years doing enough math that you are really fast at doing math.

I.e., there are no shortcuts.

I do understand where you are coming from ... and I dont think JS wasn't saying this would get you a post-mixed-release-ready or perfect "FRFR" live tone or anything like that ... there are a lot of newbies who use these new products that will never have and will never ever own a real amp.

I thought it was a great and simple primer for the newer kids on the block or those who deep dive before they have even tried the simple things.

I mean to be really frank ... and keeping things in perspective ...... we are talking about dialing in a digital copy of an Amp and Cab and EQ ..... we aint talking about the differing nuances and hypotheses' about the possibility of cold-fusion-reactions ;)

Ben

This is 4-5 steps of "use your ears bro"

JS puts that shit (LA Studio Comp) on everything :LOL:
Ya know that commercial is 100% what I was thinking
If I was any good at photoshop and could put him in that commercial I so would
There is a challenge to all you forum members that have skills

I can't wait to see his "I don't care what people say on forums or comments, but Imma spend the next 50 minutes breaking down why people on the forum and in the comments are so wrong. I don't care, I just find it funny. Hahaha. Honestly, I really don't care. Nonetheless, sit back for the longest video I've posted in weeks where I describe in detail all the ways I COULD care if I did. But again, I don't care." response video.

Have you reached out about an AMA, @JiveTurkey ? :crazy

I can't wait to see his "I don't care what people say on forums or comments, but Imma spend the next 50 minutes breaking down why people on the forum and in the comments are so wrong. I don't care, I just find it funny. Hahaha. Honestly, I really don't care. Nonetheless, sit back for the longest video I've posted in weeks where I describe in detail all the ways I COULD care if I did. But again, I don't care." response video.

Have you reached out about an AMA, @JiveTurkey ? :crazy
If we're lucky; we'll get the direct link to his "non-toxic" Discord server and we can join the discussion there, too
:rollsafe

Back