Fractal Talk

I might be wrong, but I think the wiki list of DynaCabs is bigger than what is in my fm9. I’ll check later, but is it possible i’m missing a lot of dyna cabs? Is there something you have to do to add new ones with a FW or are they just packaged in it? Mine came with 6.0 installed and I just updated to 7.0.

D
You mustn't have reset your amp block!

Joking Season 2 GIF by The Lonely Island

I didn’t lol. I’m afraid to ask, but should I have reset something? I expected that would reset my basic parameters, which wouldn’t really accomplish anything other than starting over entirely.

D
I was totally joking.

You could try the "refresh after firmware" menu option and you could also download the separate DynaCab file and reinstall.

I was totally joking.

You could try the "refresh after firmware" menu option and you could also download the separate DynaCab file and reinstall.

I see now you were replying to the one about the DynaCabs I thought you were replying to the changes I noticed in the amp sounds post 7.0 upgrade, so I missed the joke…

D

there is a bug with auto impedance, if you adjust SIC from default and poke around (load other blocks, delete other blocks) the SIC resets to default. (if you flatten the SIC first and do edits on the grid it's easier to hear when the SIC pops back up). a lot of random things make it reset, loading a new block somewhere is pretty consistent

Hi all !

Need some advice please re: Cab Block Settings. I use an IR of a Celestion Classic Lead 80.

What Cab settings in " Low Cut, High Cut, Low Slope and High Slope " would most closely mimic the official Celestion CL 80 Frequency chart as shown below ?

Many thanks in advance,
Ben

View attachment 23984

is this a graph of the measured speaker output? and you want to mimic that using a cab IR mic’d with a studio mic? how come?

Hi !

I have my FM3 and am using an IR of a 2x12 Closed Back Celestion CL80 which I bought.

Live I either am just using stage volume or going to FOH from the IR.

I saw the Celestion official graph - and I assumed it represented how the speaker put out its frequencies / should-best sound (?)

I am very far from an expert on this topic !

As such I was wondering what EQ and Slope cuts I could use in the Cab Block to best mimic this frequency response (?)

I very well however could be totally misinterpreting and misunderstanding what this Celestion graph actually means / represents (?)

Thanks.
Ben

Hi !

I have my FM3 and am using an IR of a 2x12 Closed Back Celestion CL80 which I bought.

Live I either am just using stage volume or going to FOH from the IR.

I saw the Celestion official graph - and I assumed it represented how the speaker put out its frequencies / should-best sound (?)

I am very far from an expert on this topic !

As such I was wondering what EQ and Slope cuts I could use in the Cab Block to best mimic this frequency response (?)

I very well however could be totally misinterpreting and misunderstanding what this Celestion graph actually means / represents (?)

Thanks.
Ben
Did you change your signature from Kemper to FAS?

Regardless, your post confused me. The frequency response graph provided by Celestion should be used only as a reference, it obviously doesn't take into account the end to end solution. Your guitar will be a factor, the room will be a factor, the P.A. It's up to you on what the overall sound is. Even then if you are going to a mixing board, they should be EQing to fit the mix.
Having said all that the standard practice for many is a general low cut at 80hz and a high cut around 5K or 6K at a 12db slope although I find that too aggressive. 4k with a 6 db slope sounds better to me but that depends on the sound you are looking for.
Celestion IRs are generally brighter than most so that will also be a factor. Every IR vendor has their own technique which is why preference fluctuates between people.
Another option is DynaCabs but to this point, I still prefer traditional IRs. Just me. (mostly related to my vendor sentence)

Last edited:
Did you change your signature from Kemper to FAS?

Regardless, your post confused me. The frequency response graph provided by Celestion should be used only as a reference, it obviously doesn't take into account the end to end solution. Your guitar will be a factor, the room will be a factor, the P.A. It's up to you on what the overall sound is. Even then if you are going to a mixing board, they should be EQing to fit the mix.
Having said all that the standard practice for many is a general low cut at 80hz and a high cut around 5K or 6K at a 12db slope although I find that too aggressive. 4k with a 6 db slope sounds better to me but that depends on the sound you are looking for.
Celestion IRs are generally brighter than most so that will also be a factor. Every IR vendor has their own technique which is why preference fluctuates between people.
Another option is DynaCabs but to this point, I still prefer traditional IRs. Just me. (mostly related to my vendor sentence)

Many thanks for the information. Yep .... I was on the KPA but tried the FM3 again when FW 8 CX3 was released and am sticking with it and sold my KPA.

Thanks again,
Ben

Many thanks for the information. Yep .... I was on the KPA but tried the FM3 again when FW 8 CX3 was released and am sticking with it and sold my KPA.

Thanks again,
Ben
No worries Ben. I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to impulse responses but I kind of do things backwards compared to others. I don't look to the real speakers first. I dial in a tone that I like by randomly trying a lot of IRs then try to figure out the actual curve after all is said and done to see why I like it.
I send an impulse through what I like in Studio One with any EQ applied and then analyze in Hofa IQ analyzer.

For your general knowledge, here is HOFA with a few of the Celestion offerings with no EQ applied. adding EQ would change a lot though. the graph below is a little staggered to more clearly see each line. In reality the yellow should move up 2db and the blue should move up 1.

1718493759882.png

Last edited:
Never been so easy with fw8 to dial raw and fun tones to play.

I bought the solo Dallas ir bundle last week (I already had their 69 g12m25), could finally get my fm3 home to test their h30.

15 minutes to get that tone that is just pure joy for home use and practice. That also means choosing irs I never heard and tweaking everything.

As simple as the real thing In-amp-delay-cab-out
2 irs : one unidyne57 and one room ir blended. I prefer to blend some room ir that to put reverb, cause I’m not fan of reverb except when you really need it as an effect, not part of the tone.
Everything mono.

Savage and raw as a 59slp would be, without having to become deaf. A joy to play at home.

And if the next updates gives a little more « breath » in the low/mids lows it would be heaven.

Some may think I’m over happy, but i hate modelers and even if I thought fractal was on top of the modelers market I wasn’t really fully satisfied before this update.

Back