Fractal Talk

Learning about the incoming DynaCabs, I felt like your avatar.
Modern Warfare 3 Boom GIF by Call of Duty

Prepare Get Ready GIF by STARZ

Hi all !

Need some advice please re: Cab Block Settings. I use an IR of a Celestion Classic Lead 80.

What Cab settings in " Low Cut, High Cut, Low Slope and High Slope " would most closely mimic the official Celestion CL 80 Frequency chart as shown below ?

Many thanks in advance,
Ben

1718257804475.png

Hi all !

Need some advice please re: Cab Block Settings. I use an IR of a Celestion Classic Lead 80.

What Cab settings in " Low Cut, High Cut, Low Slope and High Slope " would most closely mimic the official Celestion CL 80 Frequency chart as shown below ?

Many thanks in advance,
Ben

View attachment 23984
is this a graph of the measured speaker output? and you want to mimic that using a cab IR mic’d with a studio mic? how come?

is this a graph of the measured speaker output? and you want to mimic that using a cab IR mic’d with a studio mic? how come?
Looks like it. Those are afaik recorded with a reference mic in an anechoic chamber with the speaker not even mounted onto anything, to get the frequency response of the speaker only. There's no reason to try to replicate this.

... in an anechoic chamber with the speaker not even mounted onto anything, to get the frequency response of the speaker only.

I thought the drivers were mounted?

My understanding is that they usually try and get as close as possible to the effects of an "infinite baffle". But of course, it's just a really big mounting plane.

Because a speaker cab is generally a fairly narrow freq range compared to a mic
If I wanted to get the sound of that speaker in a cab
I would likely start at 75 on the low
5200 on the high
Although it depends really on what you’re trying to accomplish, I have seen guys run. Low cuts at 150
And Aerosmith runs their hi cut at 4500

Because a speaker cab is generally a fairly narrow freq range compared to a mic
If I wanted to get the sound of that speaker in a cab
I would likely start at 75 on the low
5200 on the high
Although it depends really on what you’re trying to accomplish, I have seen guys run. Low cuts at 150
And Aerosmith runs their hi cut at 4500
When mixing, I’m usually running a HP filter at 92 Hz and a LP filter at 7kHz. Give or take depending on the song, tuning, etc. Sometimes with really de-tuned heavy guitars, cutting the HP even higher (120-150Hz) leaves more room for the bass guitar and separates the instruments nicely. If there’s a lot of synth in the mix, I might even LP as far down as 3.2kHz - whatever fits the mix the best. I try to use my ears more than my eyes, which is hard in the digital age where everything is so visual.

Also using a Pro-Q style MB compression, I usually compress 1-2dB at whatever 100ish Hz frequency is booming with palm mutes. Evens it out nicely.

Updated FW this week, it was dead simple just like you guys said it would be. It was actually the easiest FW update I’ve done on any digital device, and it was surprisingly fast too.

Good thing I waited until now to do it when I have a break from gigs. My main patch has 4 amp channels that get used. 1 of them was modestly impacted and 2 are completely unusable following the update. I was planning to tweak them anyway, but I definitely don’t have a choice after the modeling changes.

D

Updated FW this week, it was dead simple just like you guys said it would be. It was actually the easiest FW update I’ve done on any digital device, and it was surprisingly fast too.

Good thing I waited until now to do it when I have a break from gigs. My main patch has 4 amp channels that get used. 1 of them was modestly impacted and 2 are completely unusable following the update. I was planning to tweak them anyway, but I definitely don’t have a choice after the modeling changes.

D

Updates for full releases are a piece of cake, Fractal Bot makes it very easy. Betas are only slightly more involved, as you won’t receive an automatic prompt for them.

D

Interesting, I'm not sure I've seen amps get completely broken from updates.

D

Which amp channels are you referring to?

Which amp channels are you referring to?

The 1959 jumpered set to a crunch sound was the one that was slightly impacted. The 1959 jumpered that was cranked was not ok following the update. The other sound was one of the OD channel Dumble models, and it was horribly jacked and totally unusable. It had way too much gain and the eq curve was quite different.

Like I said, I was planning to make some updates to the amp sounds anyway so this isn’t a huge deal. But I was surprised how much it changed those lead sounds. Wasn’t expecting that.

D

The 1959 jumpered set to a crunch sound was the one that was slightly impacted. The 1959 jumpered that was cranked was not ok following the update. The other sound was one of the OD channel Dumble models, and it was horribly jacked and totally unusable. It had way too much gain and the eq curve was quite different.

Like I said, I was planning to make some updates to the amp sounds anyway so this isn’t a huge deal. But I was surprised how much it changed those lead sounds. Wasn’t expecting that.

D
Just to note in case you are not aware, rolling back to the old FW is almost as easy, so if you are not ready to tackle the re-configuring of your amps, you do have a fairly easy path to push it down the road ;~))

Back