Fractal Talk

What truly sets the FM3 apart is its unique combination of sonic performance, flexibility, and fun. Whether you’re a guitar hero playing in front of thousands of fans or a weekend warrior jamming in your basement, the FM3 delivers the legendary Fractal Audio experience in a backpack-sized unit (with space to spare!). It’s easy to use, with a user-friendly interface and intuitive controls that let you quickly focus on music instead of manuals.
200.gif

Last edited:
Hot take: I preferred the front panel to FM3-Edit, since I don’t like using PC editors on floor modelers (personally). I had to RTFM and force myself to learn the UI, but got very adept at it.

Except for footswitch assignments. That shit was nearly impossible without the PC editor.
:wat

Do not make me post the steps for just moving a single block anywhere else in the signal path just using the hardware again.....

Also, if you refuse to use Axe/FM3/FM9 Edit, how do you ever take advantage of block libraries from Fractal artists and guys like @2112?

I use the hardware UI when I’m playing because I find it to be about the same time/efficiency wise as figuring out what to do with my pick, grabbing the mouse, getting Axe Edit window back to front, etc. which…is not really a compliment? It never becomes second nature to me, but does become useable.
7842463_orig.jpg

("Right right right down right page right page right enter NO EDIT GODAMMIT EXIT HOME EDIT NO ENTER OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!")
You clearly are talking out of your ass here. Had you ever actually used the Ax8 you would not have forgotten to mention SHIFT

Psssst. A modeler is a computer.
No it isn't. I mean, we can all be our own lexicographers, but not many people are really going to agree with this. It has a microprocessor, it computes, but it is no more a computer than a Chase Bliss pedal is since it, too, has a microprocessor that does some computation and changes its output in relation to user input.

Thanks for helping me make my point!
He'd rather use the computer in front of him to program sounds rather than hook up a tethered device to do it.
Reading with Kindergartner level context clues: "Having used personal computers at work all day, I'd rather use the digital processor's UI itself rather than a personal computer."

Replying to his sentence with "you know the Axe III is a computer, too" is like asking a grown adult "I don't know, can you?" after he asks "can I try your guitar?"

Using Fractal products for a decade before you got your fm3 maybe gave you a head start on learning to use it.
Meanwhile, my experience:
  • 2009 - Axe-Fx Standard. Ugh, I hate the onboard UI but thankfully there's Axe-Edit!
  • 2012 - Axe-Fx 2. Ugh, I hate the onboard UI but thankfully there's Axe-Edit!
  • 2021 - FM3. Ugh, at least the onboard UI is usable but it's such a chore. Thankfully there's FM3-Edit!
  • 2022 - Axe-Fx 3 Mk2. Ugh, at least the onboard UI is usable but it's such a chore. Thankfully there's Axe-Edit!
Me:

fox artists on tumblr GIF by Animation Domination High-Def

Fractal:

mine mc GIF

I don't either. If you're familiar enough with the UI it's not necessary but I do want to start using it.

Good for you, but that wasn't my point. I was just noticing that the thing Cliff uses, AxeFX, progresses a lot faster than the things he doesn't use, AxeEdit and FM3. It's been years since there was a significant new feature added to AxeEdit. So it seems like his personal usage habits might have an influence on their development progress.

I did not mean to start a bunch of "The UI sucks", "no it doesn't" dead horse beating.

Back