Fractal Talk

thanks-for-making-me-walk-uphill.jpg
14.25 more years and you will have the hang of that FM!

What stuff is missing in AxeEdit?

Honestly I think it could use a fresh coat of paint. Like most things Fractal you wouldn’t realize it’s a complete monster powerhouse device from the visuals. And, yeah “priorities” “focused where it counts” I get all that, but visuals certainly effect perception and immersion within a platform, and everything you interact with in Fractal screams DOS Command Prompt. A sleek modern visual update for all customer facing stuff (AxeEdit, Webpage etc) would really go a long way imo.

What stuff is missing in AxeEdit?
To name a few:
  • Better preset/IR management. Folders, tags etc. All could be done on your computer so Axe-Fx 3 support doesn't matter much as it's just organization.
  • Editing multiple blocks at the same time by being able to e.g pin one block on screen and open another one.
    • Would be great for editing e.g Amp+Cab, Drive+Amp, stereo amps, multiple fx at the same time etc.
    • Axe-Fx 3 can handle this without any issue as you'll be generally reading a bunch of Sysex for block param data when you open a block, and then sending the value of adjusted parameters one at a time. So it doesn't matter if the param is in block A vs block B.
  • Integration with physical knob control.
    • Axe-Edit + MIDI knob controller could be a fantastic way to use it but it just doesn't support anything like that. But it could, again without Axe-Fx 3 capabilities making a difference.
    • It could be as simple as "map these MIDI CCs to control whatever parameters are on screen right now." Then it could just translate MIDI CC value -> Axe-Fx 3 param Sysex.
    • Even better with relative CCs (<64 = value down, >64 = value up), as it becomes MIDI CC -> Axe-Edit param value inc/dec -> Send Axe-Fx 3 param Sysex. So the MIDI controller knob position never matters.

To name a few:
  • Better preset/IR management. Folders, tags etc. All could be done on your computer so Axe-Fx 3 support doesn't matter much as it's just organization.
  • Editing multiple blocks at the same time by being able to e.g pin one block on screen and open another one.
    • Would be great for editing e.g Amp+Cab, Drive+Amp, stereo amps, multiple fx at the same time etc.
    • Axe-Fx 3 can handle this without any issue as you'll be generally reading a bunch of Sysex for block param data when you open a block, and then sending the value of adjusted parameters one at a time. So it doesn't matter if the param is in block A vs block B.
  • Integration with physical knob control.
    • Axe-Edit + MIDI knob controller could be a fantastic way to use it but it just doesn't support anything like that. But it could, again without Axe-Fx 3 capabilities making a difference.
    • It could be as simple as "map these MIDI CCs to control whatever parameters are on screen right now." Then it could just translate MIDI CC value -> Axe-Fx 3 param Sysex.
    • Even better with relative CCs (<64 = value down, >64 = value up), as it becomes MIDI CC -> Axe-Edit param value inc/dec -> Send Axe-Fx 3 param Sysex. So the MIDI controller knob position never matters.
Sounds like improvements if you are interested in turning knobs and making configuration changes vs. actually just playing the guitar
:sofa:columbo:grin

Even simple things like putting presets into folders is done much better in other editors than AxeEdit. There are so many things that it's missing, like adding comments to presets.

Sounds like improvements if you are interested in turning knobs and making configuration changes vs. actually just playing the guitar
:sofa:columbo:grin
It actually makes it faster to work with Axe-Edit when you can spin real knobs instead of grabbing a mouse and holding your pick awkwardly. I may have made some experiments with this kind of stuff...:whistle

Honestly I think it could use a fresh coat of paint. Like most things Fractal you wouldn’t realize it’s a complete monster powerhouse device from the visuals. And, yeah “priorities” “focused where it counts” I get all that, but visuals certainly effect perception and immersion within a platform, and everything you interact with in Fractal screams DOS Command Prompt. A sleek modern visual update for all customer facing stuff (AxeEdit, Webpage etc) would really go a long way imo.

It's hard to bring up the subject of visuals because people will shoot you down as being superficial and you'll be lectured with "it's only the sound that matters". But the visuals do matter. The tools you use should have a look that inspires you.

200.gif

(Seriously though, it is a testament to FAS' design work that you find their UI to be second nature after a mere 15 years. ;))

Using Fractal products for a decade before you got your fm3 maybe gave you a head start on learning to use it.
I shall now make my oh so subtle joke obvious: I WAS MAKING FUN OF THE FACT THAT IT WAS EASY TO LEARN AFTER 15 YEARS OF USING FRACTAL AUDIO SYSTEMS PRODUCTS

I shall now make my oh so subtle joke obvious: I WAS MAKING FUN OF THE FACT THAT IT WAS EASY TO LEARN AFTER 15 YEARS OF USING FRACTAL AUDIO SYSTEMS PRODUCTS
Admittedly, I missed that one. And, read that way, it is damned funny. :D

I guess I don't know the room well enough to distinguish between the "UI is decrepit" and the "suck it up" forum members.

Back