Fractal Talk

More Tone shaping option,
The higher the value the stiffer the power supply. This will result in less compression from the power amp.
Seems that ~10ms -~25 MS are what i seem to like in the amp response, i also keep my sag quite low
on my current 1950SPL treble amp

View attachment 22017 View attachment 22018
That is exactly what I did
To simulate the B+ mod that Scott Splawn does to have the power amp breathe a bit more and it worked like a charm

Another couple of things that I did not use this time but help feel is the input / output dynamics
I remember people loving the feel and compression of the Kemper and FAS saying to simulate that switch output to feedback and go about 6db
For my taste I only need about 2 but if you want that more soft response it helps

So many cool little amp mods and tweaks that can get you what you want to hear , but honestly the new firmware it’s already great out of the gate

That is exactly what I did
To simulate the B+ mod that Scott Splawn does to have the power amp the breathe a bit and it worked like a charm

Another couple of things that I did not use this time but help feel is the input / output dynamics
I remember people loving the feel and compression of the Kemper and FAS saying to simulate that switch output to feedback and go about 6db
For my taste I only need about 2 but if you want that more soft response it helps
Fractal FTW !!
and yeah no shit this FW has been significant for me

:chef

I think that's a double-edged sword. There's always older people bashing younger people for not being born in the same decade as them (" kids today don't know what real music is like" ect.) and yeah, absolutely younger people will gang up on their parents generations.

However, I'm a firm believer that every generation has also done many, many excruciatingly stupid things that are fully deserving of the harshest ridicule imaginable. That kind of thing could be its own thread but I'm of the opinion that if you are not willing and able to criticize your own generation for something, then you are not to be taken seriously.
Generations don't do things. People do things.

I am hoping the new FM9 firmware sails smoothly through the beta. I am looking forward to that one. It has the potential to address the final issue I have had with my tones. There have been pretty big improvements since I got it and I think this next one will make it perfect for me. I have an OG FM9. I got one in the first batch. I have been very appreciative of the CUP efficiencies they have gained.

I am hoping the new FM9 firmware sails smoothly through the beta. I am looking forward to that one. It has the potential to address the final issue I have had with my tones. There have been pretty big improvements since I got it and I think this next one will make it perfect for me. I have an OG FM9. I got one in the first batch. I have been very appreciative of the CUP efficiencies they have gained.
It's already an official release

Fractal FTW !!
and yeah no shit this FW has been significant for me

:chef
other than probably the impedance stuff its probably my favourite firmware .
To me , one the most important things in the hi gain amp design is how the low end is handled.
prior to this firmware . I though the Axe was great , I could get it to sound EQ wise pretty much exactly like my buddies SYN HBE, or SLO modules through the same IR , and the feel was really good but where I noticed it was the low end attack and transients, the Tube preamp has a very immediate pick attack , there is no smear , in most of the high gain amps other than by design ( recto) the clarity is there and that response I struggled with any of the modellers to get to be honest the closest I heard was the NDSP prior and that what had me thinking I might try one out again if they had a smaller box . In Cygnus3 , I hear it and feel it a lot more so my suspicion was it came from the preamp .

But back to the low end and attack , for me that is the hardest thing to find as it is a delicate balance, you want it to be immediate fast and responsive and have cut and not to smear but at the same time you don't want it to be to sharp and thin or you get that nails on a chalkboard metal sound clink clink clink clink . which to me is ear fatiguing , so getting the notes to have weight behind them and articulate on the low strings , I think is a design challenge in the real world let alone to try an replicate that in software so hats off the Cliff for figuring that one out

Although maybe you don't love the sound I have always used this clip as a good reference point on a low end response , to me its a perfect balance , you can hear when he chugs on the 5th and 6th strings , that the notes are clear , even though there is a weight to them . if you listen you can tell that he plays a different note, on a different string in that pattern on the 2nd pass , many high gain amp in modellers to me would not have kind of a
definition and would tend to smear the low end and you would just hear a bunch of chug

I will have to check the Fractal site. That was really fast.

It's been official over a week!

I just installed the update at lunch time. I won't get a chance to test it out for a while. I didn't see anything in the notes about needing to do anything with my presets. I really only have a couple. I use a lot of scenes in the ones I have. I updated all of the factory presets from the file for 7.0.

I just installed the update at lunch time. I won't get a chance to test it out for a while. I didn't see anything in the notes about needing to do anything with my presets. I really only have a couple. I use a lot of scenes in the ones I have. I updated all of the factory presets from the file for 7.0.
You should be good to go just make sure to RANF
Refresh after new firmware
It’s in Axe edit settings drop down menu

Last edited:
You just need a solid plan on resetting your amp blocks.

:sofa

You just need a solid plan on resetting your amp blocks.

:sofa
Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

Everything went in just fine. I did do the RANF just to be sure. I got about 10 minutes to plug in and check it out. I am definitely going to need to do a little adjusting but I like what I am hearing. One of my chosen amps in one scene seems to be a good bit brighter than it used to be. I played 3 different guitars through it with different pickups in them. I can hear more of a difference in the guitars with the new FW. I am going to have to get some time to tweak it a bit but I can already hear and feel a difference.

The more time goes on the more I hear in the update.

I bounced something down where I used my mainstay IIC++/Recto preset and listening in the car today it just has so much more chunk. It’s like a ‘beneath the surface’ kinda deal. All I did was put the 5-band back where it was, everything else was the same, but damn could I hear a difference today.

Back