Fractal Talk

Can you share more on that? Without getting into the quagmire that is the latency conversation.
:wat
It's all in my head I'm sure but I don't want more AD/DA conversion happening than absolutely neccesary. Hence the 4-cable method is the debil :p
Once is fine. I ended up with Neumann KH120's. They recently came out with a version 2, with DSP...

Yeah PB needs that for the bigger than small but not quite too big gigs!

Meanwhile, Cliff at FAS:

cameron crowe GIF

No thanks on the FM9!

That makes perfect sense. To me. :beer

Since latency is also cumulative it can definitely add up.

I don't want it either---where it doesn't necessarily have to be.
That's why I'm not going to buy Genelecs with DSP room correction until they come up with a model that has lower latency. Their current system seems to be about 3-4 ms latency and that's honestly a lot. The fastest IR loaders are in the 1ms territory so to me that's where Genelec's system should be.

While 3-4ms is nothing if you are just e.g working a DAW, it does add up when you add a digital modeler for realtime playing or even wireless systems.

It's annoying because I'd love to have room correction software built into speakers. I tried looking into upgrading my living room home theater system from an old, bulky AV receiver + passive speakers to some small box with room correction and a pair of Genelec active speakers, but the options on the market for that were expensive and complicated so another bulky AV receiver with room correction features is still the practical solution.

So getting really really close to this --->

After trying a few amp/cab combinations this Freidman Small box along with my go to LT TV mix7 is the key, its very very Similar to Neal's Vintage Peavey Mace which was used to record this song (Using My Revstar & Powercabs)

1692270777568.png

Have to say how great the Mic Preamp is and is the Icing on the cake

1692270871605.png

Lordy lord i love me Fractal

:chef

It's all in my head I'm sure but I don't want more AD/DA conversion happening than absolutely neccesary. Hence the 4-cable method is the debil :p
Once is fine. I ended up with Neumann KH120's. They recently came out with a version 2, with DSP...

I have the same original Class AB KH120 monitors. I was looking to pick up a second pair for another room, but the new Class D DSP model gave me pause because of the additional latency. By all accounts, the new V2 models sound really excellent, but I still worry about several latency sources all adding up.

I believe that the latency is lower than the figure Laxu quoted for the Genelecs though, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Buying this new model would be an expensive way to find out that it's a dealbreaker! 😞

For Me Fm9 is great due to the 6 Footswitches on the Bottom row, Fred Astaire I'm not :LOL:

Tap Dance GIF
Yeah the FC-12 works for me due to that reason.

My "everyday" layout is:
  • 4x per preset switches + two layouts (hold for preset +/-)
  • 4x for scenes 1-4 (hold for scenes 5-8, tap activated switch again to switch back to previously selected scene) + tuner (hold for master layout) + tap tempo
I originally didn't have much in the hold functionality but eventually added it as a "don't need it most of the time" features. Fractal's configurability in this regard is a double edged sword where you can do what you prefer, but there's also no real "this is what is really convenient" convention like on say Helix.

Agreed. I love my FM9, but the workflow afforded by Stomp/Helix and HX Native is undeniable. In fact, I regularly record with the FM9, and also do a dry track to "reamp" with HXN for extra flavor/seasoning.
I love the sounds I get from my FM-3 but the workflow means I almost always go with something else. I simply don’t need the I/so it provides, I don’t need the switches, screen etc, let alone the physical space, cables, patchbay real estate.

And if I’m printing or reamping things one by one with no ability to adjust after, then I may as well just run it through an amp (or amp+load box).

An Axe III would be even more overkill for me, but I’m also somewhat constrained by the FM-3 in a way that would be irrelevant with a plugin.

A plugin workflow would suit me WAY better, I understand the hesitancy but it’s totally overlooking a huge market that has no intention of using this gear live or outside of a studio environment

Back