Fractal Talk

Can you just explain that last line to me again ?
So, like, get this: you have your fx in parallel, right? Then you put another effect in the same parallel path, yeah? Then that effect will affect only the effect that's on the same parallel effect path, innit! So you can chorus your delay or flange your reverb or whatever you'd like!

So, hey, hows about that impending FM3 Firmware....... :idk

I'll be on the Interstate all day and half into the night. I fully expect
it upon my return home. :hmm

No. Really I do. :banana:pickle

I am also taking a Jar of Baby Dills with me. Because :popcornand Fast
Food always = unexpected emergency stop.

Next Rest Area, 47 miles!! :pee:brick:brick:brick

:rofl

That is an open question, but at least Cliff has a strong case for his box. He claimed the science was already there to explain everything and it seems he has proven that to very satisfactory degree. But this is not the case for any subject and evidence will simply be denied or be looked at with closed mind.

I have a friend who disproved a natural law to some degree, at least making that it needed an extension, yet many years later the wiki is still not updated (last I checked). Yet, a "true scientist" (among the many who first mocked him) stole the idea and published it under his own name in Nature w/o even crediting my friend. He had to fight for a simple mention...

Even I alone saw a bunch examples of this kind of thing. If a field doesn't interest you, you likely won't run across the great things in it. People like me may never tell you, because why give away very cool info to people who want to remain in their prison anyway, mocking the real true scientists...?

Me, I at least I'm interested in all sides, can enjoy debunking and find it must-read, but you can't debunk every single thing. True science has more chance where no obvious agendas are present. We are born in a world where scientism has taken over and where mainstream science has become the real pseudoscience way too much (some fields are worse than others). So many things are completely upside down in this world; pretty fascinating, but I think I understand the logic to that. It's all very clever.

I live upside down too, so time for bed here ;)
I'd be really curious to see the evidence of your theories and what natural law your friend disproved (btw, disproving what's known, if that's really the case, is actually the correct way to do science, not the other way around, i.e. science disproving weird theories with no proofs, which is what many "alt scientist" ask).

I don't necessarily disagree that, in some fields at least, official science is or can be corrupted by large economic interests (a typical example is tobacco companies hiding for decades researches showing that smoking causes cancer), and I guess most beliefs in these weird theories come from those hard-learned lessons from the past.

But "alt science" in 99% of cases is just some BS spread around either by someone who doesn't understand why some ideas are not accepted/disproven by "mainstream science", or by someone that wants to make money by taking advantage of some people's ignorance.
The other 1% is the lucky case @laxu mentioned.

PS: I took a look at the book you linked earlier... Someone writing about anti-gravity, aether, energy of shapes, etc. is definitely in that 99% imho

Last edited:
Can you just explain that last line to me again ?
You can do wonky stuff to the repeats of your delay that don't impact your dry signal at all. Like have an envelope filter just on the repeats, which is kinda fun. More useful is adding some dirt/compression/modulation to just the reverb or delay tail.

I'd be really curious to see the evidence of your theories and what natural law your friend disproved (btw, disproving what's known, if that's really the case, is actually the correct way to do science, not the other way around, i.e. science disproving weird theories with no proofs, which is what many "alt scientist" ask).

I don't necessarily disagree that, in some fields at least, official science is or can be corrupted by large economic interests, but "alt science" in 99% of cases is just some BS spread around either by someone who doesn't understand why some ideas are not accepted/disproven by "mainstream science", or by someone that wants to make money by taking advantage of some people's ignorance.
The other 1% is the lucky case @laxu mentioned.

PS: I took a look at the book you linked earlier... Someone writing about anti-gravity, aether, energy of shapes, etc. is definitely in that 99%
Science means knowledge. "doing science" seems like a strange way to put it. Also to consider: there's empirical "knowledge" based on detectable data. But there's also knowledge based on things which are not measurable at this point in time. Like for example we all know tomorrow's gone be a new day but nobody can prove that and past data cannot determine that to be true "scientifically". So in other words human knowledge based on observable data does not exhaust all knowledge ( or undetectable/unknown data ) that there is to know at any given time.

Last edited:
The kill dry is cool for sure
I stopped using parallel because it was a pain and put levels all over the place
You only get level differences if you don't set the bypass to "Mute in". Without that, bypassing an effect is basically adding another dry path which will result in a volume boost and potentially other problems.

The old way was to set Mix to 100%, and use Level to adjust the amount of effect you hear.

The new way makes it so much easier when you can leave level as is, hit Kill dry and use Mix like you would normally. It's a lot more intuitive that way, though you still need to remember to set that bypass mode.

What is the pro for effects in parallel?
(1) Keep in mind that putting one thing in parallel with just the dry signal path is completely redundant and is what you often see when people read this stuff and think "oh, time based effects are better in parallel". Each block is already routed in parallel with the input signal and the "mix" control determines how much of the wet signal is blended back in with the input signal at the output.

(2) However, if you split the dry signal and send one side to a delay and the other to a reverb block and then have the delay block output re-merge with the main signal after the reverb block you get a distinctively different sound than if you fed the delay block into the reverb block. Because you aren't adding reverb to each repeat of the delay. So the delay remains a little clearer and you don't get as much build-up in the tails. Which could be a good thing, or a bad thing, depending on what you are trying to acheive.

(3) If you want to add effects ONLY to the effected part of a signal and not to the dry signal, then you need to split the signal and have the first effect set to fully wet/kill dry. Fractal delay and reverb blocks already have a lot of options in them to add dirt and/or modulation to delay tails and/or reverb tails, but you can get more custom with that by running the parallel routed delay into, say, an overdrive block, or a compressor block, or a phaser block, or an envelope filter. Then you'd have your effect tails going "wha wha wha" from the envelope filter, but the dry signal would not have any envelope filter applied to it.

Science means knowledge. "doing science" seems a strange way to put it.
It's a largely used expression, I didn't invent it.
In Italian, which is a languaged directly derived from Latin (where the word "scientia" was invented), "scienza" (science) and "conoscenza" (knowledge) are two different words.

Anyway, what I meant in my statement was "using the scientific method correctly"

You only get level differences if you don't set the bypass to "Mute in". Without that, bypassing an effect is basically adding another dry path which will result in a volume boost and potentially other problems.

The old way was to set Mix to 100%, and use Level to adjust the amount of effect you hear.

The new way makes it so much easier when you can leave level as is, hit Kill dry and use Mix like you would normally. It's a lot more intuitive that way, though you still need to remember to set that bypass mode.
iirc, there are a few blocks where you do get level differences because of the different mix law? Plex Delay rings a bell??

Everyone! Quick! Drink!
If you want to play that game, you will be in AA in no time.

Happy Hour Drinking GIF

iirc, there are a few blocks where you do get level differences because of the different mix law? Plex Delay rings a bell??
I had made this chart a while ago, don't know if it's still valid though:

BTW, the block input/output levels in the Meters view (second page in Layout view) are a useful tool to figure out if something is increasing or decreasing the level. While not very precise due to being so small on the onboard UI screen, they should help you see a difference at least. Light blue is input, green is output level.

I had made this chart a while ago, don't know if it's still valid though:

FFS, I hope everything about that chart is wrong. Why would 50% mix be anything other than 0db change on the dry signal?

D

FFS, I hope everything about that chart is wrong. Why would 50% mix be anything other than 0db change on the dry signal?

D
Cuz not every effect works the same. E.g. if you did that on a chorus, phaser or flanger block you would perceive a volume boost when the effect is turned on.
On reverb and delays the same principle is applied but it's more debatable, since in most cases you perceive those as separate from the dry signal.

PS: but I guess the rationale for the latter is to maintain the overall output level constant as you turn the mix knob

Back