Fractal Talk

I am with Yngwie..... sad to say.

All the dudes who want thicker, gainier, fatter, smoother Marshalls don't really want Marshalls.

Cuz them ain't it. :LOL:
Marshall doesn't make Marshalls that sounds like what most people think Marshalls should sound like...well, until they are at really loud volumes. That's why I have pretty much given up on Marshalls. Digital emulations of them are a whole another thing altogether tho.

Marshall doesn't make Marshalls that sounds like what most people think Marshalls should sound like...well, until they are at really loud volumes. That's why I have pretty much given up on Marshalls. Digital emulations of them are a whole another thing altogether tho.
1692048994249.gif

I remember a local shop tried to convince Yngwie to use Cornford when he played here with G3.

I think Yngwie’s answer was something like why would I use something that sounds like a Marshall when I’ve got a Marshall!?

I remember before the concert the guy was still hoping to see the Cornfords on stage when we went in. But there was nothing but a wall of Marshall’s and shattered dreams waiting for him inside

That’s hilarious!

Someone asked Dave Friedman on an episode of ToneTalk how things work when he’s working with a famous guy to build his rig, like does he offer suggestions or just assemble what’s given, EVH was in the discussion at some point, but Dave basically said “Sometimes you’re just there to listen and they don’t want suggestions, you learn to keep your mouth shut”, so I can just imagine how that’d go over with Yngwie, of all people. :rofl

The twist of the twist: all these digital emulations of drive pedals that emulate amps when you already have these amps modeled at your modeler.
Episode 5 No GIF by One Chicago

Last edited:
Especially when you can just fire up the Smallbox, Dirty Shirley, or BE. ;)

I think for people who have experience using Marshall’s live they sound exactly like what they’re supposed to.

I think the people who struggle with them tend to be either people who are using them at home playing alone or people who have been playing digital emulations that sound like a caricature of a Marshall.

Marshall are the epitome of “sounds great in the mix on stage, sounds terrible alone at home”. And so many digital emulations have been scooped, bass heavy, smooth high gain that sounds nothing like an actual Marshall.

I think for people who have experience using Marshall’s live they sound exactly like what they’re supposed to.

I think the people who struggle with them tend to be either people who are using them at home playing alone or people who have been playing digital emulations that sound like a caricature of a Marshall.

Marshall are the epitome of “sounds great in the mix on stage, sounds terrible alone at home”. And so many digital emulations have been scooped, bass heavy, smooth high gain that sounds nothing like an actual Marshall.
I can agree with that. The Marshalls I've owned or used have mainly sounded great at stage volumes but iffy at less than that - fizzy, thin and all that. Modern Marshall type amps like Friedman, Bogner, BluGuitar etc all behave much nicer when turned down but can still do what I consider "classic" Marshall type tones regardless of volume.

I don't love the Friedman BE all that much but their other amps like the Dirty Shirley are nice. Bogners are a bit odd because they need a lot of treble to not sound dark. BluGuitar somehow manages to be at the same time "vintage Marshall" and "modern modded Marshall" behavior where you really need to do a bit of trickery so they are not too bright due to the bright cap, yet they still sound just great whether you play at home or stage volumes.

Pete Thorn's video still is perhaps the best example of what I consider classic Marshall tones, on the more overdriven side at least:

I don't know what Marshalls people want... but my real Satch JVM is a fucking monster, and is exactly the kind of amp I fall in love with. The equivalent amp on the Axe3, I just don't think sounds very good to be honest. I've really tried.

Ah well... at least we have 5150's, recto's, revvs, diezels on there, all of which sound monstrous!

I did not like the BE-100 models for a long while, until I tried them with a higher master volume. That took away the overly dark character and made them just feel like awesome Plexis with some sort of OD perfectly dialed in.

I also like to crank the mids as I feel like they sound inherently scooped
I'll have to try these tips, because I've not really gelled with them otherwise. Much prefer the Smallbox thus far.

I don't Know what a Marshall Sounds Like On stage Live nor in a room, I can only go bye what i hear on Records, and I can say the Fractal Marshall's are right there, OFC there are variants like Friedman's the Cameron's etc and well those sound amazing as well (for me)
We all Like what we like, and its not like we don't have the options available out there today

I can say I have a pretty one track mind with Marshall type amps.

I was just messing with my BluGuitar Amp 1 Mercury Edition, running it through a Bluetone Loadbox into the Axe-Fx 3 because I don't have a real cab here. I used the York Audio Kerry Wright 4x12 cab sim on the Axe-Fx 3, using the stereo IRs in that pack as Fullres IRs.

Then I thought, "hey, I wonder how this compares to what my usual Plexi preset or my Cornford MK50 preset sounds like with the same IRs?" I fired them up, changed the IRs and...they all sound pretty much identical. :facepalm Like I swear I had no idea when dialing in the BluGuitar that it would end up sounding exactly like those presets.

I've literally dialed in the same damn Marshall sound on my Axe-Fx in multiple presets, the BluGuitar Amp 1 and even the Strymon Iridium.

Here's the Cornford settings I use and a quick Dyna-Cab setting that I think works pretty well with it. The York Audio IRs actually do sound better with the way I have set up the amp.

Roll down your guitar volume and tone or it might be too hairy and fizzy. I pretty much always play with a "too much gain, too bright on 10" setting and just use my guitar controls to tame it so I can adjust it both ways.

Screenshot 2023-08-15 at 20.44.59.png

Screenshot 2023-08-15 at 20.47.18.png

Last edited:
I don't know what Marshalls people want... but my real Satch JVM is a fucking monster, and is exactly the kind of amp I fall in love with. The equivalent amp on the Axe3, I just don't think sounds very good to be honest. I've really tried.

Ah well... at least we have 5150's, recto's, revvs, diezels on there, all of which sound monstrous!
Yeah I took a look at your fractal forum post on the JVM. Hopefully some good discussion came from it

a legendary christmas preach GIF by NBC

I've been beating that same drum as long as there have been drums. Ok. That is not
at all an exaggeration. :LOL:

I wish I could highlight and bold type that whole post. :banana

Back