Fractal Talk

Ok, question for y'all about assigning footswitches on the FM9!

I like the sound of using a boost in the Amp block's Preamp tab vs using a separate Drive block. Is there a way to assign that Boost bypass to a footswitch? I know I could just build a new Scene for that, but I like using the Effects layout for a pseudo "stompbox mode".

Ok, question for y'all about assigning footswitches on the FM9!

I like the sound of using a boost in the Amp block's Preamp tab vs using a separate Drive block. Is there a way to assign that Boost bypass to a footswitch? I know I could just build a new Scene for that, but I like using the Effects layout for a pseudo "stompbox mode".
Control switch. You will probably need to edit the effects layout to add the control switch to it.

Right, there are 300 models to fit any one person’s 4-5 usually. Unless they’re session dudes maybe. Or someone who really does love going all over the place.

Additionally, Fractal doesn’t have 300 amp models. They’ve got 300 channels. Isn’t the new Revv stuff six models for three channels of one amp?

The odd thing, in my experience, is session dudes are often the most persnickety and get
tied to 2 or 3 amps and use them (maybe with some pedals) almost exclusively over the
course of an entire career.

Since time is money you need to know what you have, and can quickly get, going into a session.
No Producer is going to sit there and let you try 15 different amps to get a sound. :idk

You have to come into the session, and get hired, because you already have the sound(s).

But I get what you are saying. Most of us only have an handful of go to tones/amps we fall
back on over and over again. :beer

That's something I would like to challenge myself to do. Pick an amp model at
random and force myself to create something with it. I think it would fun. Or a nightmare. :LOL:

There are so many great amps out there, used in ways that I wouldn’t think of…

I know this is an old favorite, but I rarely go to it anymore…

Used to play the crap out of it, but probably haven’t played it in years; the venerable JTM45

Just crunchy good; modulates well.

Next recording; jtm45 paired up with a slo clean. PRS p24

That's something I would like to challenge myself to do. Pick an amp model at
random and force myself to create something with it. I think it would fun. Or a nightmare. :LOL:

This is what I do to get used to an amp model. I'll look up YouTube examples of the real deal too if I can't make sense what tones the designer was going for.

What are the odds of one of you gents explaining the differences between the AD sensitivity level, the global input gain, and the per amp input trim?

Screenshot 2023-08-13 160037.png

Screenshot 2023-08-13 160023.png

From what I can determine, the Input 1 A/D sensitivity is for what goes into the converter, and should be set to highest gain pickup and then left alone. I think maybe I was mistaken in thinking I need to fiddlefuck with this. Then there's Input 1 gain (which I've not fiddled with), and then each amp model has input trim (which I've also never fiddled with).

Any hot tips for all this?

FWIW, it's this kinda shit I HATE about modelers. With my amps, I just.........plug in. But hey, there's a price to pay for flexibility I guess.

What are the odds of one of you gents explaining the differences between the AD sensitivity level, the global input gain, and the per amp input trim?

View attachment 9853
View attachment 9854

From what I can determine, the Input 1 A/D sensitivity is for what goes into the converter, and should be set to highest gain pickup and then left alone. I think maybe I was mistaken in thinking I need to fiddlefuck with this. Then there's Input 1 gain (which I've not fiddled with), and then each amp model has input trim (which I've also never fiddled with).

Any hot tips for all this?

FWIW, it's this kinda shit I HATE about modelers. With my amps, I just.........plug in. But hey, there's a price to pay for flexibility I guess.

You are spot on with the A/D sensitivity section. Just set it based on your hottest pickups and that's about it.

Wiki says:

Input 1 Gain:

In firmware Ares 12.12 and later, this allows trimming Input 1's gain to adjust for variations in guitar output level, without having to adjust each preset, similar to the global Amp Gain parameter in the Axe-Fx II. On the FM3 this parameter is located in the Global menu.

This is actually something I didn't know even existed. Never felt I needed it, but neat that it's there.

The Amp block Input Trim control on the other hand is mostly used like a variable High/Low input. Let's say we have a JCM800 2203 which would have two inputs, Input Trim at the default 1.000 is like the High input and at 0.500 it's like the Low input. Except you can vary it as you please too.

You are spot on with the A/D sensitivity section. Just set it based on your hottest pickups and that's about it.

Wiki says:

Input 1 Gain:

In firmware Ares 12.12 and later, this allows trimming Input 1's gain to adjust for variations in guitar output level, without having to adjust each preset, similar to the global Amp Gain parameter in the Axe-Fx II. On the FM3 this parameter is located in the Global menu.

This is actually something I didn't know even existed. Never felt I needed it, but neat that it's there.

The Amp block Input Trim control on the other hand is mostly used like a variable High/Low input. Let's say we have a JCM800 2203 which would have two inputs, Input Trim at the default 1.000 is like the High input and at 0.500 it's like the Low input. Except you can vary it as you please too.
Alrighty then, thank you! I’ll have to set the AD tonight, and then l’ll start experimenting with the other two. I suspect the one global input gain will accomplish what I was trying to fix between my Tele and my humbucker guitars. We’ll see. I’m totally fine with that, if that’s what it is.

All the best sounding amps I’ve ever played also had the least channels, the least controls and the simplest signal path ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don’t know if it’s because of the amount of channels and controls, or if it’s just because of the way they were designed
I believe especially for some tones the more simple the signal path the better it’s sounds. That’s been my experience.

Just started this patch Using LT TV mix 7 & 2 Hard panned L&R
Will see what else I can come up thats some what Bright with not very much low end and more mid focused
I've never tried the Corn before. I've made a quick&dirty patch with your settings and these cabs. Comparing it with the amps that I have at the other scenes (FAS Brown, Friedman HBE V3 and Plexi100 Jumped) the Corn has a kind of metallic grit. I don't know if that is good or bad, or a microphonic tube at my Cornford. It is bedtime here, so I will leave it there for today.

Preset attached.

Cornford 50 ultimately became my #1 amp in the FM9, loved it. :rawk

Switched to 6L6s it was pretty similar to my Electra Dyne.

Would LOVE to own/try a real one. (“Ungodly loud” sounds perfect, @laxu :) )

I remember a local shop tried to convince Yngwie to use Cornford when he played here with G3.

I think Yngwie’s answer was something like why would I use something that sounds like a Marshall when I’ve got a Marshall!?

I remember before the concert the guy was still hoping to see the Cornfords on stage when we went in. But there was nothing but a wall of Marshall’s and shattered dreams waiting for him inside

Back