Fractal Talk

Probably a dumb question, but here goes. If I were to download cab lab 4 and buy some dyna cab packs, could I export my mixes as wavs to use with other devices. I own no Fractal products now.

Probably a dumb question, but here goes. If I were to download cab lab 4 and buy some dyna cab packs, could I export my mixes as wavs to use with other devices. I own no Fractal products now.
no, not at this time they can only be download in Syx Fractal format

You could shoot them as an IR using your DAW and various plugins as a workaround.

Take a look at ML Mikko2 free if you want to try something similar. I bought the full version on black friday for 50% off, but you get a Mesa cab and a few mics in the free version. In hindsight, I could've skipped the full version entirely and gotten what I need for free. Aaaand now I'm just using the dyna cabs in the FM3 :rofl

you get a Mesa cab
It's not just ANY Mesa cab, it's the Mesa cab that was used to shoot the IRs that ended up on the Periphery III album. IMO, it's the best sounding Mesa cab on the IR market. IIRC, it is also the cab used to shoot the Mega-green, Mega-blackback, and Mega-EVML packs (which are all in the full version of MIKKO 2). This cab was also the basis for my favourite IR ever. Fractal Users have a few IRs of this cab in the factory bank as well (factory 2 #1005–1008).

It's not just ANY Mesa cab, it's the Mesa cab that was used to shoot the IRs that ended up on the Periphery III album. IMO, it's the best sounding Mesa cab on the IR market. IIRC, it is also the cab used to shoot the Mega-green, Mega-blackback, and Mega-EVML packs (which are all in the full version of MIKKO 2). This cab was also the basis for my favourite IR ever. Fractal Users have a few IRs of this cab in the factory bank as well (factory 2 #1005–1008).
I think the Periphery cab with different speakers is only in the paid version. I'm not sure if the free cab is the same cab with different speakers, or an entirely different cab. It's not the exact same, however.
1712469077486.png
1712469132537.png

Take a look at ML Mikko2 free if you want to try something similar. I bought the full version on black friday for 50% off, but you get a Mesa cab and a few mics in the free version. In hindsight, I could've skipped the full version entirely and gotten what I need for free. Aaaand now I'm just using the dyna cabs in the FM3 :rofl
The only criticism I have for ML MIKKO 2 is that it has too many 4x12 cabs and too few smaller cabs.

Cab Lab 4 sucks because you can't export to anything but Fractal devices. Dyna-Cabs would be great if I could easily use them on any device as IR mixes.

The only criticism I have for ML MIKKO 2 is that it has too many 4x12 cabs and too few smaller cabs.

Cab Lab 4 sucks because you can't export to anything but Fractal devices. Dyna-Cabs would be great if I could easily use them on any device as IR mixes.
Yep, I 'm not sure I need more than 30 4x12's. I'd definitely rather have more smaller cabs. The free version is pretty unbeatable value, however. You can do a lot with just the one cab

You don't think the bigger problem with CabLab 4 is the clumsy user experience? They call them DynaCabs, but they don't have any of the convenience of the other kind of DynaCabs.

You don't think the bigger problem with CabLab 4 is the clumsy user experience? They call them DynaCabs, but they don't have any of the convenience of the other kind of DynaCabs.
Yeah while you can live audition them it can still be a pain

My hope for the Axe IV is that you'll be able to import any Dyna-Cab pack that you own into the unit, and use it just like the factory ones we have now.

I haven't bought any Dyna-Cabs because of the export issues so I can't say much about that since there's no free option to try out the software.

My understanding is that the audition setup is a bit clumsy since you can't use it to just add a new Dyna-Cab to the hardware. I don't think that will change until the next gen which hopefully has far more Dyna-Cab space.

It doesn't help that the Dyna-Cab offerings have been "more mics for these cabs you already have in your Fractal" and a York Audio 4x12 Recto cab that you basically already have too, just as the Fractal version.

So I bought ML Sound Lab MIKKO 2 instead when it was 50% off and got extra discounts by owning the MIKKO 1 already. That was a far better deal than buying the Cab Lab Dyna-Cabs. I've used it to make IR mixes for my Strymon Iridium for example and I've been liking the results.

That's my big hope for an Axe-FX IV, if there ever is one, that it include a complete DynaCab suite akin to the Cab Lab 4 packs, with all those mics and a full array. But I don't know if the memory needed would be reasonable for a standalone device to carry.

Not to turn this into a "Axe IV when" but I can see the IV being the last iteration (at least with Cliff leading the charge).

As far as tone and options are concerned, the III could halt updates today and it would be future proof imo. But that could probably have been said 2 years ago lol
If we follow the history of Fractal it is conceivable that we will see another Axe in 2025
Cygnus X3 marks the 4th modelling engine change and if the past repeats Cygnus X3 will continue to be refined throughout this year and Will ultimately launch into the Axe 4, this is just speculation but

Ares ended the Axe2 and was the initial Axe3 firmware
Then came
Cygnus 1
Cygnus 2
And now Cygnus 3 is technically the 4th engine update

Reactions: LCW
Cliff is younger than me, but around age 55 is when I started to really get tired of solving problems all day long, so I would get into a IV before that age :)

But if a truly impressive new CPU is not coming quickly enough, I might just release a Mark III or Mark IV with tons more memory and call it a life -- maybe do some less stressful projects on the side, like adding more goodies to it ;)

If he wants to unleash less restricted algorithms, he might also give the option of using just one amp block.

In any case, I pray he doesn't have to refactor so much code to a new gen or chip again -- I don't see that happening after age 55, unless your name happens to be Cliff...? ;)

Last edited:
Back