Fractal Talk

Dude, just imagine what kind of deals were found in the early days of eBay, before it could be used to find a general used market value for an item.
It was a buyer’s market for sure. In the early 2000’s I bought up a ton of golden-era Ibanez guitars, cleaned them up, held onto them for a few years and doubled my money back. Mint RG’s could be had for under $500 back in those days.

IMG_1444.jpeg

Dude, just imagine what kind of deals were found in the early days of eBay, before it could be used to find a general used market value for an item.
I mostly put myself through college flipping gear in the early 90s. I'd go to flea markets and pawn shops almost every day and cruise for gear, then sell the high-value stuff in the classifieds of Vintage Guitar Magazine and later on early internet/AOL. Everybody knew that Fender and Gibson guitars were potentially worth money (and many were hilariously overpriced), so it was mostly the semi-obscure stuff where you could make a real profit. My band used whatever gear I hadn't sold yet, so we'd go to shows with absolutely amazing stuff - Hiwatts, Plexis, blackface Fenders, Magnatones, Supros, etc. It wasn't hard to find keyboard players because I had a couple of Fender Rhodes, three Moogs of varying impressiveness, a Clavinet, and a Hammond L-100 with a Leslie. The Hammond and Leslie were too big to take to gigs, but it certainly gave us some cred. This was at a time when music stores were desperate to get rid of this stuff. I paid $100 for the two Fender Rhodes on the condition that I would take both of them. The Clavinet was scavenged from the attic of a music store because "it was broke" (it was not). I was really into 70s pedals and had almost every Musitronics pedal on my pedalboard (save for a bi-phase, which I bought but was broken by a tech trying to build a footswitch).

My band eventually fell apart, and a few years later I sold almost everything I had left to put money down on a house. I mostly stopped playing for about ten years, and then slowly started rebuilding. Anyway, it was definitely game over once the internet (and Google) became pervasive.

Last edited:
My band eventually fell apart, and a few years later I sold almost everything I had left to put money down on a house.

That's so interesting. After 10 years of flipping a bunch of gear (some of which I regret, and a lot of which I don't)
I bought our home in 2016---without needing to get a mortgage.

I kept a few choice (to me) pieces. Some vintage Fender amps, some old school effects, a few different tape echoes,
and some guitars.

Until I read your post I never put it all together like that, though.

I mostly put myself through college flipping gear in the early 90s. I'd go to flea markets and pawn shops almost every day and cruise for gear, then sell the high-value stuff in the classifieds of Vintage Guitar Magazine and later on early internet/AOL. Everybody knew that Fender and Gibson guitars were potentially worth money (and many were hilariously overpriced), so it was mostly the semi-obscure stuff where you could make a real profit. My band used whatever gear I hadn't sold yet, so we'd go to shows with absolutely amazing stuff - Hiwatts, Plexis, blackface Fenders, Magnatones, Supros, etc. It wasn't hard to find keyboard players because I had a couple of Fender Rhodes, three Moogs of varying impressiveness, a Clavinet, and a Hammond L-100 with a Leslie. The Hammond and Leslie were too big to take to gigs, but it certainly gave us some cred. This was at a time when music stores were desperate to get rid of this stuff. I paid $100 for the two Fender Rhodes on the condition that I would take both of them. The Clavinet was scavenged from the attic of a music store because "it was broke" (it was not). I was really into 70s pedals and had almost every Musitronics pedal on my pedalboard (save for a bi-phase, which I bought but was broken by a tech trying to build a footswitch).

My band eventually fell apart, and a few years later I sold almost everything I had left to put money down on a house. I mostly stopped playing for about ten years, and then slowly started rebuilding. Anyway, it was definitely game over once the internet (and Google) became pervasive.
I had one other thought about this. All of these transactions were conducted without photos of the gear, and with the classifieds, you were paying by the word, so the descriptions were really short. No superlatives, just what it is, the price, the condition and a phone #. You'd send some random dude a postal money order and some number of weeks later your gear would arrive. Or it wouldn't, and you'd have to hound his ass until he sent the thing. But 99% of the time it worked out.

I had one other thought about this. All of these transactions were conducted without photos of the gear, and with the classifieds, you were paying by the word, so the descriptions were really short. No superlatives, just what it is, the price, the condition and a phone #. You'd send some random dude a postal money order and some number of weeks later your gear would arrive. Or it wouldn't, and you'd have to hound his ass until he sent the thing. But 99% of the time it worked out.

When I sold gear in the early 90's to buy new gear, I had the rule of selling it for about 50% of what I paid for it. I also bought many second hand things for about half the price. These were happy times!

Recently I have bought some guitars for a reasonable price a the local market here in Bangkok, only to sell them for much more than double the price on Reverb 🤷‍♀️

With the Dyna-Cabs, I've been exploring the Align tab a lot more. I basically never used it with standard IRs but because the Dyna-Cabs are always phase aligned, they can sometimes sound too direct and "dry". When using multiple mics, adding just a bit of a phase difference can smooth it out a bit in a way that I like. It doesn't need a whole lot of difference for that and IMO the scale of that control should be way smaller.

Credit to @2112 for showing this. I wouldn't have even thought about using it otherwise.

Anyone else using the Divided by 13 models?

After spending last winter with a JRT 9/15 I can’t pull myself away from those amps. Fred’s amps have something so unique in the midrange that I just love. The attack is so nice and accentuates the pick attack in a way that sits so well in a mix.

I think it’s really cool that the models are so good that I can hear those qualities in them. Especially paired with the new cj11 DynaCab.

If only Fractal would model the JRT 9/15…

Yea, I've been living on a preset that's just the CJ 11 in three different configurations. Telecaster driving it. Just a delay and a drive pedal and a wah for spice.

Was part of a rig simplification experiment when I built the Tele to see how far I could push a simple rig. I have a tendancy to over pack my presets with lots of bells and whistles. It has worked so well that its stuck.

Last edited:
Some day I have to sit down and go through all the amp models. It’s been almost 5 years and I still haven’t done it, I always end up finding something and getting stuck on it when I attempt to do so. I don’t think I’ve played any of the Divided by 13 stuff.

After spending last winter with a JRT 9/15 I can’t pull myself away from those amps. Fred’s amps have something so unique in the midrange that I just love. The attack is so nice and accentuates the pick attack in a way that sits so well in a mix.

I think it’s really cool that the models are so good that I can hear those qualities in them. Especially paired with the new cj11 DynaCab.

If only Fractal would model the JRT 9/15…
Yes I use the FTR as the main clean EOB sound

To me the Revvs are fine, but not that interesting. They sound good out of the box (except the Green channel). People were really going hard in wanting these added to Fractal and now that they're there..few people are singing their praises as their go-to model.
I do, the Revv is amazing and it has become my go-to and replaced Soldano and Peavey from my presets. I love the green channel too.

Some day I have to sit down and go through all the amp models. It’s been almost 5 years and I still haven’t done it, I always end up finding something and getting stuck on it when I attempt to do so. I don’t think I’ve played any of the Divided by 13 stuff.

I can help by locking you into a Chug-Free Zone for a few days. :idk

:LOL:

I can help by locking you into a Chug-Free Zone for a few days. :idk

:LOL:

That’s actually generally the opposite reason of why I end up getting stuck on one amp for hours; chugging I just want one badass tone on one pickup, but a Strat and an edge of breakup tone I wanna hear allllll 5 pickup positions and how the amp sounds best with each…..and then forget about them all as I load up a Superlead because it’s really hard to beat that amp!

Back