Fractal Talk

Yeah, so did everyone else. :LOL:
Ashton Kutcher Burn GIF

Ooh Aaahhh. Adjusted input gain in Settings, to a higher level so it's "tickling the red", and it brought my Tele to life. Every model I tried (Deluxe Reverb, Smallbox, AC20, JP2C.....all over the board) sounded WAY better.
This is the Thing Initial setup For I/O are very Important same thing with My Powercabs I have to calibrate them with a hot signal and shazammm they come to life

Ooh Aaahhh. Adjusted input gain in Settings, to a higher level so it's "tickling the red", and it brought my Tele to life. Every model I tried (Deluxe Reverb, Smallbox, AC20, JP2C.....all over the board) sounded WAY better.

That's exactly what I was trying to tell you yesterday! 😖

I have to have it set to 100% for my low output single coils, otherwise it sounds thinner and brighter.

Do you get the clipping warning?

Nope. My signal isn't strong enough to clip. Vintage-style pickups. I can't even tickle the red... which is fine. I can fully light the amber input LED if I bash the strings hard and that's about it.

I prefer my pickups lower too - less harsh on a strat style guitar; so that probably lowers the output further.

Last edited:
Nope. My signal wouldn't isn't strong enough to clip. Vintage-style pickups. I can't even tickle the red... which is fine. I can fully light the amber input LED if I bash the strings hard and that's about it.

I prefer my pickups lower too - less harsh on a strat style guitar.
That's wild. I swear the Mark II has something with the input notice lol. I have to keep mine at 7 percent. It seems having a super low input correlates with a Axe Fx MK2

Seeing as this does pose some issues with different types of pickups, wonder if they could make like user presets and name them according to your guitars with a drop down menu to select as opposed to manually setting them every time you plug in a different type of guitar

:idk

Yes! I have been wanting this for a while!

Even though the advice from FAS is "just set it for the highest output guitar you use and don't worry about it", there is such a big difference between a medium output bridge humbucker and and low output vintage single coils that I _do_ need to change the settings for the two different guitars to sound their best (@paisleywookiee has also proved this today).

The simple solution for me would be a per-preset option, which overrides global.

The issue is made worse is because more than one person uses the FM9 in our house, so we keep forgetting who last changed the setting and it messes up the sound for us. We have very different guitars. We usually flip between 60% and 100% A/D Sensitivity.

This happened to me earlier - I was thinking "I can't believe how bright and thin this patch suddenly sounds when it sounded perfect yesterday". It was only later that I realised the input sensitivity had been changed (we are usually good about switching it back, but it's easy to forget).

I changed it back and it sounded amazing. Such a relief!

Last edited:
Yup I also found that setting to the highest is also not optimal
For my self 4 guitars is not that much of a hassle and also I don't often switch guitars
But for some that switch up often and or gig with a few different guitars it might be a useful feature

This is why I much prefer user experience and performance updates as opposed to adding more amps, drives, delays

But you don’t though. The Fractal flat out just doesn’t sound good if the input level isn’t right, whereas every tube amp (well, most) merely sound different, but still great. It’s not the same thing.
Hmm. That doesn't seem right. I can't remember how many times I've read someone post over at FAS that that setting doesn't affect the tone. I mean, I get that that level needs to be set correctly, but I was under the impression you set it as high as possible for your hottest guitar, and then it should be fine for any other guitars as well, assuming you dial in presets specific to each type of guitar.

So you're saying you have to bring it up for your cooler guitars, which would then clip your other guitars?

Hmm. That doesn't seem right. I can't remember how many times I've read someone post over at FAS that that setting doesn't affect the tone. I mean, I get that that level needs to be set correctly, but I was under the impression you set it as high as possible for your hottest guitar, and then it should be fine for any other guitars as well, assuming you dial in presets specific to each type of guitar.

So you're saying you have to bring it up for your cooler guitars, which would then clip your other guitars?
Yup. It’s not a big deal, if it works.

Back