Fractal Talk

Ive tried it with all 4 of my axes and there is something about low DCR pickups that when you adjust the Input
It changes, but it shouldn't so

waynes-world-mental.gifl

Ive tried it with all 4 of my axes and there is something about low DCR pickups that when you adjust the Input

waynes-world-mental.gifl

The only guitars that clip the input of my axe 3 are my Tele bridge and my Jazzmaster. I think the hotter single coils have a sharp resonant peak that spikes the input. The humbuckers may be hotter in the lows but have a flatter frequency peak.

I like the Electro-Voice 12L speaker: it's rather neutral (lets amps shine through), it sounds great with clean amps, and it packs unparalleled power and punch when pushed.

But it is heavy and requires considerable volume to come alive. Luckily, this is not an issue with captured IRs of this speaker, and we have one as a dyna-cab: the 4x12 Rumble EV12L. (I don't care much for the EV12S.)

As an experiment, I made presets with most of the Fender amp models going through the IR and recorded them using a DI. Cab settings: consender mic type, position 4, distance 2.50, no low/high cuts, max IR length. Default room reverb from the Reverb block. No compression, no post-EQ, just normalization of the tracks. Telecaster in middle position, which is not ideal for some sounds but I needed to keep the source consistent. Sorry for the cheesy guitar chords.

Audio results below. Don’t expect anything revolutionary. It's rather boring because, overall, clean Fenders sound similar (the "A" tracks), and even more so when sticking to the same cab, even with an EV-12L. Select a track in the playlist to hear the amp model, with tweaked tone controls and gain at 4 different positions (ABCD). As gain increases, the differences between the models become more apparent. Some models stay clean all the way.

I can share the presets, and also the Logic project file with the embedded presets (courtesy of GlennO's AxeCapture plugin).

Schermafbeelding 2023-07-31 om 15.24.15.png

Schermafbeelding 2023-07-31 om 15.24.30.png

Last edited:
I keep coming back to the 2x12 Bassman dyna-cab.

It’s got a bit more focus and punch but still some good depth in the low end, and I like how the top end smooths things out just a little. I’m finding it a killer combo with the JCM800

Funny you should mention that particular dyna-cab, I'm also loving it with the Tucana Clean; even though the speakers aren't anything like what was used with the Tucana.

Recorded a snippet with Instrument A/D Sensitivity at 5 different settings: 5%, 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%. They sound the same.

EDIT: there are some minor changes in the graphs between the different sensitivity settings, don't know why (no clipping warning appeared).

For the record, we're talking about the A/D Sensitivity control (far left), correct? Not the Input 1 Gain control at the far right.

Schermafbeelding 2023-07-31 om 17.32.59.png

Last edited:
For me it was MIM Strat -> Vox Distortion Booster -> Crate GX-15

I remember those Vox pedals in the late 90's were pretty solid.

I keep coming back to the 2x12 Bassman dyna-cab.

It’s got a bit more focus and punch but still some good depth in the low end, and I like how the top end smooths things out just a little. I’m finding it a killer combo with the JCM800

For Dynacabs, I've been mostly using the 4x12 Recto Straight with a singly Dynamic 1, moved closer to the edge than cap. I'm finding single mic makes it easier to manage.

Also when I go between my Kemper and Axe FX 3, I notice that the Kemper has WAY less high end (although there is some high end content, so not a simple high cut). So with the Fractal, I'm finding I need high cuts as low as 5k to get in the same ballpark, although the Fractal still sounds clearer and more hi-fi even with those cuts.

So right now I think it's a high cut at 6k with 6 db slope.

Recorded a snippet with Instrument A/D Sensitivity at 5 different settings: 5%, 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%. They sound the same.

EDIT: there are some minor changes in the graphs between the different sensitivity settings, don't know why (no clipping warning appeared).

For the record, we're talking about the A/D Sensitivity control, right (far left)? Not the Input 1 Gain control at the far right.

View attachment 9396

Yes Input Instrument (on the Right)

I bought an FC-12 a couple of years ago when I was pretty sure I'd never I'd never leave the house again. Now that I'm about to audition for a band, I realize that this is kind of a big honking thing to carry around in addition to my rack, and a guitar, and a cab. I'm thinking about getting one of the FC-6 Mk IIs. Anybody else make the switch?

Back