Fractal Talk

When you all record with a fractal unit, do you set a high low cut on the cab block? Ive been setting mine to around 80 and 7500 but sometimes it just feels too boxy or not open.

I set a low cut at 80 in the cab block but leave the highs alone, and carve those up later on the guitar bus.

I set a low cut at 80 in the cab block but leave the highs alone, and carve those up later on the guitar bus.
I'm a little different but just to keep my options open. I do a low cut at 30 or 40 to be cut later as needed in a mix. No high cut.

Is ax8 the same infrastructure of snaz3?

ED359A5F-FC7E-410E-B8E4-F878AA13DD0E.jpeg

I'm not familiar with all the amp families and lineage but was wondering how to get in the ball park of Sunn Model T, Matamp GT120/GT1 or an Orange OR120? Whether through changing tonestack or the FAS models? I understand the bands who use these amps for doom/sludge are using a bunch of fuzz pedals but wanted to see if anyone had suggestions. Thank you.

I seem to recall reading that the Model T was based on the JTM45. So you could try that with something in front, perhaps?

Any thoughts on how to get the Know Your Enemy Rage Against the Machine intro effect?
You could probably do it on the axe with a sequencer pattern tremolo , there is a preset in the Axe called “flipping the switch” you will have to adjust but it will do that killswitch on/off thing , you could attach it to a controller like expression pedal or LFO

Does anyone else kind of feel like they just tit about with their Axe FX III and not really using it in any meaningful way?

I really enjoy mine, but I have rarely been committing it to record. Not because there is anything wrong with it. It is brilliant. But when I'm writing demos with the band, it is often quicker to just grab some software thing - ToneX, Helix Native, or Neural SLO100 or the Darkglass plugins for the bass tracks - in the heat of the moment.

Genuinely haven't played a band gig since August 2022, so maybe that is affecting my perception on this. But I quite often come up with amazing sounds on the Axe III, save the odd preset here and there, and never really revisit them.

I got it and the FC-12 because I imagined I would replace my Helix Floor and use the Axe III solely for FX along with my JVM for gigs. But at the moment there are zero gigs on the horizon. We're still breaking in a new guitarist, and we've gone straight to writing a ton of new stuff instead of getting back up and gigging.

Basically what I'm saying is ... this thing is just fucking freakily powerful, and I'm using about 2% of it, 10% of the time that I spend writing and recording. Feels like a huge waste.

Does anyone else kind of feel like they just tit about with their Axe FX III and not really using it in any meaningful way?

I really enjoy mine, but I have rarely been committing it to record. Not because there is anything wrong with it. It is brilliant. But when I'm writing demos with the band, it is often quicker to just grab some software thing - ToneX, Helix Native, or Neural SLO100 or the Darkglass plugins for the bass tracks - in the heat of the moment.

Genuinely haven't played a band gig since August 2022, so maybe that is affecting my perception on this. But I quite often come up with amazing sounds on the Axe III, save the odd preset here and there, and never really revisit them.

I got it and the FC-12 because I imagined I would replace my Helix Floor and use the Axe III solely for FX along with my JVM for gigs. But at the moment there are zero gigs on the horizon. We're still breaking in a new guitarist, and we've gone straight to writing a ton of new stuff instead of getting back up and gigging.

Basically what I'm saying is ... this thing is just fucking freakily powerful, and I'm using about 2% of it, 10% of the time that I spend writing and recording. Feels like a huge waste.
I can see that. It's a shame that Cliff is against a vst. I understand why but it's so much easier firing open a vst and recording. The di track is just right there.
In my case, I make a conscious effort to route it back to the Fractal for the amps/effects but it would be easier to live in the daw.

Edit: Was thinking about a Fractal VST idea where the vst was only a dedicated listener process sitting inside the daw, where all the brains were still required in the hardware and all manipulation and control could only be done from the hardware. If the communication between the listener and the hardware was encrypted and proprietary, it could be possible. No one would benefit from having just the vst as you would need the unit as both the audio engine and the controller, Ah, just me thinking out loud.

Last edited:
I'm just a bedroom enthusiast noob, no where near the level of most here, and I have a FM9,
I don't use most of the amps and effects in there yet, but whatever little portion of the FM9 I use i sure make the best of it and
Absolutely love it.

(y)

The FM9 is a pretty powerful beast , just playing around and I can fit most of Chris Baseboards Template. (yes nothing is connected yet I know )
I honestly can't imagine needing more than this and its running 75-76 %

Screen Shot 2023-12-18 at 9.04.15 PM.png

You could probably do it on the axe with a sequencer pattern tremolo , there is a preset in the Axe called “flipping the switch” you will have to adjust but it will do that killswitch on/off thing , you could attach it to a controller like expression pedal or LFO
You'll also need a harmonizer set to 5ths so you're playing one note power chords while toggling.

Back