Fractal Talk

Circling back to my fractal recording questions. I've noticed that getting as full a signal as possible really helps with the recorded tone. This often leads me to cranking output 1 pretty high.

Essentially I have it right before clipping in my DAW, and then I mess with the dbs when putting everything together.

As always, I know it's "do what works for you" but does it make sense to do it this way. Am I overlooking anything by getting a strong signal?

Circling back to my fractal recording questions. I've noticed that getting as full a signal as possible really helps with the recorded tone. This often leads me to cranking output 1 pretty high.

Essentially I have it right before clipping in my DAW, and then I mess with the dbs when putting everything together.

As always, I know it's "do what works for you" but does it make sense to do it this way. Am I overlooking anything by getting a strong signal?

I never run a hot signal in my DAW. The reason it sounds better to you is because it’s louder, but you’ll get the exact same result running your track level lower and increasing the volume on the output. Plus, if you start adding tracks you’ll want the headroom.

With digital, there is no tape hiss or saturation/compression, so all the old analog recording rules about hot signals are null and void.

I never run a hot signal in my DAW. The reason it sounds better to you is because it’s louder, but you’ll get the exact same result running your track level lower and increasing the volume on the output. Plus, if you start adding tracks you’ll want the headroom.

With digital, there is no tape hiss or saturation/compression, so all the old analog recording rules about hot signals are null and void.
That's exactly why it sounds better 😂 ok, great. I didn't know if running it lower took away saturation or anything like that as you mentioned.

Thanks!

Everything I've ever heard from the "experts" was to record at 24 bits and have your peaks around -10.

Played for a while with that new 2203 tonight and I couldn't stop hearing @James Freeman's words bouncing around my head:
"Every other amp is pointless." :rofl

I stole it from ArtDecade, source:

It was my dream amp but with the latest news regarding the cheap transformers and now owning an Axe Fx, maybe not anymore.

EDIT:
Why we don't have a "What's Your Dream Amp" thread here? :unsure:
Picture heavy!

Last edited:
Boom
I bet there will be some gain on this preset :bag:love:ROFLMAO:

Boom
Damn I was just about to tag you with this @Stone 😱

Damn I was just about to tag you with this @Stone 😱
Neal was too Late lol

1703254498898.png

Friedman Small Box was the closest I could get to His old Peavey Mace head which was used on that track and album

:idk

I stole it from ArtDecade, source:

It was my dream amp but with the latest news regarding the cheap transformers and now owning an Axe Fx, maybe not anymore.

EDIT:
Why we don't have a "What's Your Dream Amp" thread here? :unsure:
Picture heavy!
What's this about cheap transformers?

Boom
This sounds incredible! Can anyone tell me what's going on in the cab section? IRs or something native to Fractal?

The latest production of the JCM800 2203 Reissue.
Not made by Dagnall UK anymore but in Vietnam.
I see. It's so sad to see the decline of such a great and iconic British company like Marshall. It's a shame they couldn't have gone in the Friedman direction instead.

Back