Fractal Talk

Ya. Some people want as close a representation of the real amp as possible in their modelers and I understand that.

The problem with that is the real amps are sometimes finicky and are best dialed in with certain settings and some settings are unusable. Hence, the recent Recto thread.
It's frustrating to those that don't have exposure to the real amps as we don't know the preferred settings or how to make it sound great right away.
Having said that, authenticity does help the other way if we ever had to use the real amp after finding the settings on the Fractal.

Feature request, when you load a new amp, it doesn't have BMT on 5 but loads a ballpark setting that's often preferred.
There’s already a solution for this though: captures. They’re the epitome of “here’s the sound you probably wanted, and an EQ to tweak things just a little bit around that sound.”

I see modelers as fulfilling the authenticity niche (that’s why so much painstaking effort goes into the algorithms that model each component), while profilers fill the “instant-gratification with limited ability to make an ugly tone“ niche.

Ooh, I’ve got an idea. @FractalAudio For going directly to an effect’s settings in pedalboard mode on the FM9, is there a way to set it so long-press brings up the controls? It would negate the need for capacitive foot switches ala Helix, but give me an easy way to jump right to an effect for on-the-fly tweaking.
Seems like a good idea at first, but could result in accidentally changing away from a view on the screen that you didn’t intend, like the preset/scenes Home view. Especially true for footswitches set to hold. Maybe that doesn’t matter though, since the layout view already displays scene names above the footswitches.

This is one of many spots where the Helix floor UI excels. Touch a footswitch with bare skin, and the controls for that pedal pop up beneath your signal routing display. Touch it with a shoe (poop optional), and nothing changes.

Touch a footswitch with bare skin…

Adam Sandler GIF

Just got my new AxeFX out of the box and plugged in.

23.05 is installed and everything seems darker and more gainy to me? Is it just me?

LP with very low output pickups into the Deluxe Reverb I can't get it clean until the gain is at 1.0 and input trim is at 0.5 :unsure:

The Vox models seem dark and heavy in the lower mids, there's something missing in the high end and upper mids.

I might need to dig up 22.00 just to see if it's my imagination, or if maybe I've just forgotten what it sounds like.

On the flip side the 2203 is :chef

Seems like a good idea at first, but could result in accidentally changing away from a view on the screen that you didn’t intend, like the preset/scenes Home view. Especially true for footswitches set to hold. Maybe that doesn’t matter though, since the layout view already displays scene names above the footswitches.

This is one of many spots where the Helix floor UI excels. Touch a footswitch with bare skin, and the controls for that pedal pop up beneath your signal routing display. Touch it with a shoe (poop optional), and nothing changes.
That’s why it’d be just an option, ya silly goose.

23.05 is installed and everything seems darker and more gainy to me? Is it just me?

LP with very low output pickups into the Deluxe Reverb I can't get it clean until the gain is at 1.0 and input trim is at 0.5 :unsure:

The Vox models seem dark and heavy in the lower mids, there's something missing in the high end and upper mids.

I might need to dig up 22.00 just to see if it's my imagination, or if maybe I've just forgotten what it sounds like.

Newly purchased ax3?
With the last sentence you allude that you already owned it (one)

I had to set my guitar input super low in the global levels page on my fm9 (5%)

I bought an axefx3 a few years back and thought everything was way too gainy so I returned it. I thought something was wrong and I panicked. Your post brought back memories. I tried again with the fm3 and loved it out of the box so I'm not sure what was different. Now, since I'm never truly happy, I'm thinking of going from the fm9 to the axe3, but not if I'm going down that early road again.

Last edited:
Ooh, I’ve got an idea. @FractalAudio For going directly to an effect’s settings in pedalboard mode on the FM9, is there a way to set it so long-press brings up the controls? It would negate the need for capacitive foot switches ala Helix, but give me an easy way to jump right to an effect for on-the-fly tweaking.
Been asked for a number of times...

If you loaded old presets try resetting the Amp block.

I noticed last night that my saved amp blocks from the blocks library didn't sound good. Resetting made a big difference.

Back