Fender Tone Master Pro: Episode IV - A New Hope

I guess that’s a fair workaround, given the UI is good.
Yeah, I'm just starting to learn my way around the FM3, and I understand why you'd want to augment the functionality of a single amp block with multiple channels - especially when CPU/DSP is limited, as with a portable unit like this one. That said, the layers of functionality you have to keep track of, between Presets, Scenes (inc. Scene Enable/Disable of discrete blocks), Channel parameters, etc. etc. etc. can be a little overwhelming. Dropping two distinct amp blocks inline and enabling/ disabling as needed may seem "hokey" once you're accustomed to FAS, but it's also really straightforward, and clear to understand or troubleshoot at a glance. Again, provided you have sufficient CPU/DSP power on tap. (No global EQ jokes, please. ;))

I saw one for the first time in person last week, there's no way I could get my foot isolating single switches on that top row, especially if I were singing at the time I had to do it. I think I'd literally need ballet slippers.

View attachment 16890
start binding your feet
feet GIF
Married At First Sight Lol GIF by Lifetime

I do not believe the TMP is a one and done situation for them.
Funnily enough, I went from having high hopes for this to having the exact opposite thought.

I think there is just a fundamental issue with how they’ve approached the modelling that correcting it would require a ground up rewrite which simply wouldn’t be worth it. I haven’t heard a single clip that sounds favourable compared to a real amp.

When I first got wind of it being a product, in my head it was going to be an immediate buy if they do a plugin version. Having heard what it sounds like and learned more about it, I wouldn’t go near it without some major reworking of the modelling engine.

At least with the QC, the underlying amps actually sound like what they’re supposed to. I think the cabs and cab engine are probably better too.

Funnily enough, I went from having high hopes for this to having the exact opposite thought.

I think there is just a fundamental issue with how they’ve approached the modelling that correcting it would require a ground up rewrite which simply wouldn’t be worth it. I haven’t heard a single clip that sounds favourable compared to a real amp.

When I first got wind of it being a product, in my head it was going to be an immediate buy if they do a plugin version. Having heard what it sounds like and learned more about it, I wouldn’t go near it without some major reworking of the modelling engine.

At least with the QC, the underlying amps actually sound like what they’re supposed to. I think the cabs and cab engine are probably better too.
I think they should have just released a killer fender amps modeler: like ALL the classic fender amps only. Like classic and unique fender amps and set the price at $1k max. Instead they took the mustang/gtx100 route to the point that the modeled amps parralel those in the mustang/gtx100

I’ve read enough from stilwel and max to know that
  • Everyone who thinks there is anything wrong with the TMP’s modeling doesn’t know what they’re talking about, as there are many ways to model an amplifier. Furthermore, the details are proprietary, so we can’t divulge any of the details (that every other manufacturer does divulge)
  • And, TMP wasn’t designed to win shootouts or YouTube comparisons. It was designed to make sounds.
How’d I do? Can I work at fender yet?

To be clear, I do have sympathy for Max and Stilwel and i’m not trying to pile on negativity. I want them to succeed. I think it’s also rad they’re communicating with people on forums so I don’t want to be on the receiving end of anything negative.

But yeah, users aren’t able to make tones that compare favourably with their real counterparts (which is essentially par for the course for modellers in 2024). If the user isn’t able to make a JCM800, or Jubilee, or Rectifier or Uberschall, or Mark IIC+ sound 95% of the real thing, then there’s something wrong.

I hope it comes good, but I don’t see how they can make these amps sound good without completely messing with everyone’s existing presets

I’m weirdly tempted to try one again…

Feeling lately like all I want is a Deluxe Reverb and a handful of pedals

I picked up one of these off Amazon for $60 US.
It's rugged enough but the case is nothing to brag about. Thin carry bag.
Speaking of volume/exp pedals.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240109_192838.jpg
    Screenshot_20240109_192838.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240109_193256.jpg
    20240109_193256.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
To be clear, I do have sympathy for Max and Stilwel and i’m not trying to pile on negativity. I want them to succeed. I think it’s also rad they’re communicating with people on forums so I don’t want to be on the receiving end of anything negative.

Honestly, I think it's pretty messed up that some people really are piling it on thick. Like the product, don't like the product-that's fine. But don't hammer on them about things that you don't like, keep things civil and respectful.

Honestly, I think it's pretty messed up that some people really are piling it on thick. Like the product, don't like the product-that's fine. But don't hammer on them about things that you don't like, keep things civil and respectful.

Yep. That's why I started this thread in the first place, in the hope that people would be more civil following the.. um... outpouring in the other thread.

Although I'm now thinking of renaming it to the Fender Amp Matchmaking Service 💘

Last edited:
Yeah, there’s not much more for me to say about it. Stilwel made clear that they’re not planning on making significant changes in the UI, and it’s missing crucial features that may or may not come. So ima just gonna leave it alone.

We just need to remember that the people relaying the message are not necessarily the ones making the final decisions in these matters, too. I have no idea how much leeway the TMP team has as far as what they're able to do, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is a completely different process for them regarding development and updates compared to, say, Cliff, who has the final say on what he wants to do, and is the one who actually does it.

That’s why I still think running off Peter from IK sucked. I still think he’s a nice guy, but he’s the messenger. And we maimed the messenger.

Yeah, that schoolyard bully mentality needs to go away. A lot of really knowledgeable people have been chased away from TOP through the years, and that has hurt everybody who appreciated their input.

Yeah, that schoolyard bully mentality needs to go away.

It's similar to what happened to the YouTube comments section over the years. Although I often thought that it was mostly angry teenage asshats on YT. Assuming it's grown-ass adults on gear forums; or perhaps we've got some teenagers here too? 🤔

That’s why I still think running off Peter from IK sucked. I still think he’s a nice guy, but he’s the messenger. And we maimed the messenger.
Erm.. how so??

Seems to me that Peter came here with an aggressive attitude, and got back what he put in.

Criticizing prices and asking for reference signal levels isn't "maiming" at all. And he wouldn't answer the questions put to him, like... ever.

If he doesn't want to be around here, that is his choice. Nobody chased him off.

Why not as long as there's no personal insults or things like that being thrown at the rep which are not allowed on the forum in general?
It's always in the favor of the consumer to be as pushy as necessary!

Why not as long as there's no personal insults or things like that being thrown at the rep which are not allowed on the forum in general?
Ehhhhhh... this place is a tad different. But the mods make the calls on when someone goes over the line; which I perhaps did last night. Oops.

But in general I agree with you - lay it on thick as much as y'all want. Tired of gear forums just being yes-man echo chambers.

Back