Fender Tone Master Pro: Episode IV - A New Hope

...All of which goes to show that we like what we like and there's no point arguing about companies as if they were football teams (which again is pointless if you ask me). We're here for the same reason, each one liking different things at the same time. If the TMP performs well, it's for the benefit of everybody, because the other companies will try to compete and we'll have more and more better options.

The TMP dirty tones leave a lot to be desired, at least now. But the cleans are great and I can't even listen to metal. I respect those who do though. I can't listen to Yngwie's music but I know he is a great musician, having opened new roads. I don't care about Vai other than Tender Surrender (which wouldn't have been made if it hadn't been for Hendrix IMO) but he is great. Rip-offs are everywhere, good ones come from inspiration and they serve us all. Come on. Insulting someone because they play whatever modeler is childish. Defending a company just because you bought something by them? Not clever enough. The company managers themselves will be laughing.
when i tried out the tmp for 2 hrs in a room i thought the fender tones were good but way too few for a fender product and the list of amps read like the gtx100 i gave to my son for xmass 2 yrs ago. The vox was not very good and the dirty stuff was meh for a 1700.00 release. The gui was simple but had alot of wasted space with the pictures taking up the whole screen.Yea its " neat" but a waste of landscape. its built well as most are now a days and the knobs on the switches is a good design nomatter who it was ripped off from. I still dont trust fender to support this for long and no way will they for 8 yrs like line six has done with the helix.

Regarding Sleshnyc's presets on the cloud: As I said before, the TMP doesn't do the Marshall thing well. Those presets though are better IMO than the factory ones and cleverly tuned for live. Especially the Plexi and the Jubilee. I suggest you try them if you have the TMP, forget the guy's socks.

when i tried out the tmp for 2 hrs in a room i thought the fender tones were good but way too few for a fender product and the list of amps read like the gtx100 i gave to my son for xmass 2 yrs ago. The vox was not very good and the dirty stuff was meh for a 1700.00 release. The gui was simple but had alot of wasted space with the pictures taking up the whole screen.Yea its " neat" but a waste of landscape. its built well as most are now a days and the knobs on the switches is a good design nomatter who it was ripped off from. I still dont trust fender to support this for long and no way will they for 8 yrs like line six has done with the helix.
I totally agree with everything. But the dynamic response is great (it feels like an amp to me) and I can live with fewer amps if they feel and sound good. Regarding future support, yes, it scares me. But I'm in love. And your words are exactly what I didn't want to hear, like falling for a person who you know will probably hurt you and your friends try to convince you to look elsewhere.

All this stuff should be bringing (all of) us closer instead of creating arguments, as in our case sharing the same lover is legit.

Last edited:
Regarding Sleshnyc's presets on the cloud: As I said before, the TMP doesn't do the Marshall thing well. Those presets though are better IMO than the factory ones and cleverly tuned for live. Especially the Plexi and the Jubilee. I suggest you try them if you have the TMP, forget the guy's socks.

That was actually the one deal breaker for me, the Marshall bit. I’m a Marshall junkie, and when I’m going for clean tones I usually go for a JTM thing. As the gain increases, I move on to a Plexi, then finally a JCM800. So basically all of my core tones are Marshall based. And currently that’s not a strong point for the TMP, so I went with an FM9T because I already have an AXE-FX 3 and I know that it has the core sounds I want.

That’s not to say the TMP is forever off the table for me, it’s just not right for me currently.

That, and I have never been an early adopter with the one exception of a Helix. Everything else I have owned I bought well after the initial launch.

I totally agree with everything. But the dynamic response is great (it feels like an amp to me) and I can live with fewer amps if they feel and sound good. Regarding future support, yes, it scares me. But I'm in love. And your words are exactly what I didn't want to hear, like falling for a person who you know will probably hurt you and your friends try to convince you to look elsewhere.

All this stuff should be bringing (all of) us closer instead of creating arguments, as in our case sharing the same lover is legit.
for $1000 max it would be an ok unit to me but not 1700

That’s a reasonable take. And I strongly prefer socks to bare feet!

That was actually the one deal breaker for me, the Marshall bit. I’m a Marshall junkie, and when I’m going for clean tones I usually go for a JTM thing. As the gain increases, I move on to a Plexi, then finally a JCM800. So basically all of my core tones are Marshall based. And currently that’s not a strong point for the TMP, so I went with an FM9T because I already have an AXE-FX 3 and I know that it has the core sounds I want.

That’s not to say the TMP is forever off the table for me, it’s just not right for me currently.

That, and I have never been an early adopter with the one exception of a Helix. Everything else I have owned I bought well after the initial launch.
Then the TMP is not for you, at least for now. I suspect it will never be, I hope I'm wrong. The only dirty amp sounds I like are Marshall, so I see your point.

Like a lot of people, as I grow older I tend to like cleaner tones but I will always love Hendrix. Also, Slash's tone on his 2010 album is haunting IMO. The TMP is not there yet.

Then the TMP is not for you, at least for now. I suspect it will never be, I hope I'm wrong. The only dirty amp sounds I like are Marshall, so I see your point.

Like a lot of people, as I grow older I tend to like cleaner tones but I will always love Hendrix. Also, Slash's tone on his 2010 album is haunting IMO. The TMP is not there yet.

Might be the Fender fanboy in me, I’ve said it before but I do not believe the TMP is a one and done situation for them. Nothing about that hardware says “We put a lot of work into this so we can drop the ball later” to me, so I’m hopeful.

Might be the Fender fanboy in me, I’ve said it before but I do not believe the TMP is a one and done situation for them. Nothing about that hardware says “We put a lot of work into this so we can drop the ball later” to me, so I’m hopeful.
I thought that way about the cybertwin too. I was letdown. But who knows. I just dont see them supporting the tmp for 8 yrs like line6 has done with the helix..that is amazing

All it would take is the bean counters turning the ear of upper management and the whole program could vanish.

@sleshnyc said:
You made fun of me but maybe didn't get the point. I hope the full potential is here now and Fender doesn't enter the same childish upgrade race as Fractal. It was one of the reason I sold my axe fx: pseudo-improvements that were wasting more time than anything else. My gigs are today, not three years from now. Manufacturers and users need to accept that their products are what they are and stop promising better days that never come. And above all I need a reliable professional tool that doesn't change every time I plug it in. There are a few brands that haven't got into this game (Boss, Eventide) and I'd prefer Fender to behave like them.
Bugs are another matter. Phase issue is one of them I noticed.

i mean childish? hahahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be just how he’s miking it, but that sounds awful.
beemoviebee.png

Back