Fender Tone Master Pro: Episode IV - A New Hope

So despite being weeks later; it still sounds like :poop: and he still hasn't figured out how to split the chain and add cab emulation on one chain to send to FOH.
reverse_face.gif

Played this again at length yesterday at Sweetwater, including building a few patches from scratch. I’m sorry, this thing just doesn’t measure up to any modern modeler at this point. I’d take a QC over it, even. However, my favorite one they had in stock was still the Helix.

IMG_0054.jpegIMG_0052.jpeg

I’ve gotta say, there is just no way in 2023/2024 a modern modeler should come out without channels. It’s positively hokey to have to load two separate amp blocks for a preset, and while it works fine for the Helix that came out in 2015, it’s unacceptable otherwise. That’s not what I’d consider a professional modeler in the present day.

The cute graphics on the TMP take up an asinine amount of screen real estate, whilst completely throwing away huge portions of empty black space for nothing. If the icons make you feel warm and gooey inside, cool. But it’s not an efficient design, nor did I struggle to use a QC with NO MANUAL and its blocks.

EDIT

The size/form factor of the QC continues to be amaze-balls.

Last edited:
Played this again at length yesterday at Sweetwater, including building a few patches from scratch. I’m sorry, this thing just doesn’t measure up to any modern modeler at this point. I’d take a QC over it, even. However, my favorite one they had in stock was still the Helix.

View attachment 16884View attachment 16885

I’ve gotta say, there is just no way in 2023/2024 a modern modeler should come out without channels. It’s positively hokey to have to load two separate amp blocks for a preset, and while it works fine for the Helix that came out in 2015, it’s unacceptable otherwise. That’s not what I’d consider a professional modeler in the present day.

The cute graphics on the TMP take up an asinine amount of screen real estate, whilst completely throwing away huge portions of empty black space for nothing. If the icons make you feel warm and gooey inside, cool. But it’s not an efficient design, nor did I struggle to use a QC with NO MANUAL and its blocks.

EDIT

The one thing that NDSP could do to improve it a little bit IMO and still keep the same form factor is use the step up that atomic had with a raised second row of switches , that would infinitely make the top row of switches more accessible and useful

The one thing that NDSP could do to improve it a little bit IMO and still keep the same form factor is use the step up that atomic had with a raised second row of switches , that would infinitely make the top row of switches more accessible and useful
Yeah I agree.

I saw one for the first time in person last week, there's no way I could get my foot isolating single switches on that top row, especially if I were singing at the time I had to do it. I think I'd literally need ballet slippers.

IMG_5561.JPG

I saw one for the first time in person last week, there's no way I could get my foot isolating single switches on that top row, especially if I were singing at the time I had to do it. I think I'd literally need ballet slippers.

View attachment 16890

I sing lead too, and have been able to adjust without too much difficulty. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The first couple times I used it, I was accidentally hitting the top row, but it hasn’t happened since.

I also have it up a bit on a Pedaltrain, in the middle, so that + the PT angle maybe helps.

But yeah, the FM9’s are spaced much more nicely, however along with that comes a lot of extra overall size.

I sing lead too, and have been able to adjust without too much difficulty. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The first couple times I used it, I was accidentally hitting the top row, but it hasn’t happened since.

I also have it up a bit on a Pedaltrain, in the middle, so that + the PT angle maybe helps.

But yeah, the FM9’s are spaced much more nicely, however along with that comes a lot of extra overall size.
Does the QC have channels on at least the amp blocks, and I’m just missing it? I couldn’t figure that part out.

Does the QC have channels on at least the amp blocks, and I’m just missing it? I couldn’t figure that part out.

No, I don’t think so, but you can run multiple amp blocks and there always seems to be lots of DSP left.

Captures in particular use very little.

I have a preset that has octave-down, two drives, three modulations, reverb, two delays, and two amps/captures, and a looper, and it’s only at 29%, for example.

When I'm done my final FM9 board, even with 2 expression pedals it'll be smaller than the board I used to use with my amps by 3"! :rofl

No, I don’t think so, but you can run multiple amp blocks and there always seems to be lots of DSP left.

Captures in particular use very little.

I have a preset that has octave-down, two drives, three modulations, reverb, two delays, and two amps/captures, and a looper, and it’s only at 29%, for example.
I guess that’s a fair workaround, given the UI is good.

View attachment 16884View attachment 16885

EDIT

Season 5 Point GIF by NBC

When I'm done my final FM9 board, even with 2 expression pedals it'll be smaller than the board I used to use with my amps by 3"! :rofl

I have this internal rule where I refuse to go any bigger than a PT Jr Classic. It has served me well, in terms of not going pedal crazy, over the years. :grin

I broke it for the FM9 and went up to a Classic 2 (24”), but eventually sold that whole setup, size being one of the reasons.

I think if I get an FM9 again, which seems likely these days, I may try it on a Metro 24 with just an expression pedal.

I have this internal rule where I refuse to go any bigger than a PT Jr Classic. It has served me well, in terms of not going pedal crazy, over the years. :grin

I broke it for the FM9 and went up to a Classic 2 (24”), but eventually sold that whole setup, size being one of the reasons.

I think if I get an FM9 again, which seems likely these days, I may try it on a Metro 24 with just an expression pedal.

I'm getting this, eventually.

I made a board that's exactly like that one that's 32"x13" for the FM9, then I'm going to use the board that comes with it for actual pedals. I'll never be using both boards at the same time and I get a road case for both!

Back