Fender Tone Master Pro: Episode IV - A New Hope

I find it sort of curious Marshall doesn't seem to have plans to release proper digital versions of their amps, while many other makers obviously offer plenty of Marshall models. Even Fender now has their own modeler out. Do you think people would not be interested in a modeler by Marshall? They used to be so in the forefront with rack/DI gear back in the day with stuff like the JMP-1 and others...and now nothing.

It really seems to me that the tube amp is dying - or maybe not dying, but becoming a niche market of old geezers mostly, while everyone else seems to be going strongly to modelers/DI gear. It's been very apparent of late. I mean, I've been buying and selling amps on and off for over a decade as a hobby, and to facilitate testing different amps, but lately it seems you can't move any tube amps any more. Like just this week I've offered my Marshall JVM at a ridiculously low price for trade for guitars and whatnot, to many sellers, and almost invariably the answer is something alomg the lines 'nah man I've gone all digtal' amd so on. Seems to me the only people who still use real, big tube amps, are the guys who have that halfstack in their living room. Those who gig and play in bands seem to be going digital very strongly.

I mean, the JVM is like brand new mint condition, retails for what, 1300;- and I asked the local music store what would they give me for it and they said 400;- in exchange for a guitar. I've been selling it for months for 700;- and zero enquiries. I've offred to trade it for 400;- partscasters and no takers.

It's been slower and slower all the time. Even my 1959 Plexi which were like well north of 1000;- used a while back, I had to sell for 650;- and considered myself lucky I got rid of it.

So the market for a modeler under Marshall brand name certainly is there. And they could make it truly desirable by using the looks and style of Marshall, I mean, like make a super liight 'amp head' that kinda looks like a small tube amp, but actually is a modeler...and an "FRFR" speaker with the piping and the logo and looking kinda like a classic Marshall...

Yeah they have the solid state line, but they're not really like proper modelers with completely software based systems only, and they're cheap as well. I just think they COULD develop an all new modeler-based, top-quality, upgradeable, IR-based, customizable system with great "FRFR" speakers - they have the tech from their BT speakers even and so on...so why not?

If there was a Marshall head with completely digital, programmable and upgradeable system instead of a normal amp...I'd buy one, if it was on par with the other makiers and I don't see why could it not be,

That's way too much, jeez.. I have a Line 6 Relay G75, with IIRC 1.34ms latency.

Just tried to collect some more information, apparently there's two different "groups" you can use on the Shure (no idea what that means) and using one certain group it'll apparently be a litle bit below 5ms. Which is still way too high for a system kicking in at 500 bucks. Add, say, 3ms of modeler latency, then use the FX loop of that modeler, so you'll have to add another 3ms, then add another 2ms (or so) from whatever digital IEM mixing system. That's over 12ms already - nothing I'd want to deal with under headphones.

Just tried to collect some more information, apparently there's two different "groups" you can use on the Shure (no idea what that means) and using one certain group it'll apparently be a litle bit below 5ms. Which is still way too high for a system kicking in at 500 bucks. Add, say, 3ms of modeler latency, then use the FX loop of that modeler, so you'll have to add another 3ms, then add another 2ms (or so) from whatever digital IEM mixing system. That's over 12ms already - nothing I'd want to deal with under headphones.
Yeah. I don't get the hype on those Shure pedal wireless systems. I had the pre-5ghz version and in addition to it often cutting out due to 2.4Ghz interference it had high latency and still didn't really sound like a cable (and to my ears in a bad way). I've been using the analog Sennheiser EW500 G4 systems since then and am way happier. I can always find a free channel, virtually zero latency and sounds good. If you want a pedalboard friendly version just get the portable camera receiver.

-Aaron

I once thought I had mono for a whole year. Turns out I was just bored.

waynes world comedy GIF

Back